The Visual Index Project

rickykappa / 2010-12-21 10:13:35   

hi, where did you try it? I see no url...
and which visual index did you use: main or sectional?
I guess the instructions where provided with the plugins, however the first one gathers all the exhibits, the second needs you to specify the section where to pick the exhibits...

Jansen / 2010-12-21 10:27:49   

Wow. Quick response.
The URL is this one:
http://janeumann.de/index.php?/info/test/

There were actually no instructions included. Just the two exhibits-formats. I thought they are just supposed to be uploaded and chosen in a new exhibition where they would either display thumbnails of the specific section they are in or the whole indexhibit-site.
Was this a wrong assumption?

rickykappa / 2010-12-21 10:46:13   

as far as I can remember what you say is correct, so I guess you're trying to use the sectional without specifying the section?
you can check the plugin, it's written on the top of code.
I can't be more precise 'cause I'm using my own sectional customization which shows hidden exhibits of a given section and another customization for the main page

Jansen / 2010-12-22 13:02:50   

Well. Yes, im using the sectional one right now.
Im just not sure if I did everything which is neccessary.
Let me go through it again, maybe you get an idea if it's just a stupid mistake on my side:

1. Downloaded the Files Visual Index Section and Visual Index Main
2. Uploaded them to the plugin-folder, where all the different exhibition formats are listed as well
3. Created a new exhibition in my section "info" called test.
4. Left everything blank, chose the Visual Index Section theme and published the whole thing

From what I thought, this should have been enough. I though the plugin would gather all the images from the other exhibits in my "info"-section and display them in a grid as thumbnails. Did I miss something?

rickykappa / 2010-12-23 03:47:42   

oh, well... yes that's allright but you must specify which section the plugin should gather the exhibits from.
as I told you I'm working with customized plugin, so I don't remember exactly how the original files are, but it might help you to know how I managed to make it work for me:
find in the plugin a line that looks like this:

AND section_id = 'X'

where X must be edited with the section id number that you want to be sorted.
that's all I guess, at least if you need only one section to be indexed.

basically I use a specific visual index for every section I need, so I've made as many copies I needed and renamed each with a different name.
give it a try...
;-)

Jansen / 2010-12-28 11:53:30   

I'm still struggling to make it work.
Might try the plugin you modified if this is not going anywhere.

1. Talking about the section choise:
  2. The plugin says $pages = $OBJ->db->fetchArray("SELECT media_file, url, title, media_order 
  3.         FROM ".PX."media, ".PX."objects 
  4.         WHERE id = media_ref_id 
  5.         AND media_order = (SELECT MIN(media_order) FROM ".PX."media WHERE media_ref_id = id) 
  6.         AND section_id = '$rs[section_id]'");

I tried specifying the section by replacing the $rs[section-id] with the numbers my sections have – still no success. Anyways: to me the code looks as if the section number is supposed to be chosen automatically, isn't that right?

Sorry to be such a pain, but I still would love to make it work somehow!

orionrush / 2010-12-28 15:14:25   

Hey - just to chime in, it's great to see traction on the visual index plugin. I'm going to start messing about with it now! bravo

rickykappa / 2010-12-28 18:41:34   

@jansen - I'm not sure to understand how you would comunicate automatically to the plugin which is the exhibit to display that you have in your mind.
at least I'm not that smart...
what I meant is much more primitive but it works
i.e.
AND section_id = '6'
simply means you want to retrieve exhibits from section-6

Jansen / 2010-12-29 09:25:07   

No, I'm sorry, maybe I didn't express myself properly.
I tried the simple way you are talking about, telling the plugin AND section_id = '2' e.g.
It still doesn't generate anything at all – that's my issue.
I understand that the plugin can't read my thoughts or anything, I just guessed, that it's supposed to display the section in which it is placed when chosen as an exhibition format.
For example: I want to create a page of thumbnails of section 1 – I simply create a new exhibition which is part of section 1, chose the visual index as exhibition format and that's it.
Anyways: Neither of the two ways (not the original, not the primitive) is apparently working and I seriously have no clue why. As I already mentioned: I think I will try your plugin.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Jansen / 2011-01-03 03:30:11   

Just a quick update:

As I am using two different indexhibit-installations (one at janeumann.de and one at descryptor.de, I found, that the visual index plugin is working in the second, but not in the first installation.
I have no clue how this is possible. Both are running v0.70d, they are runnning different themes and one is set to sort the exhibitions chronologically, one per section.
I doubt that this will help someone, but I will probably play around with the installation again until it works on both websites. Any hints why this is happening are still appreciated.

rickykappa / 2011-01-03 04:03:47   

hi jansen, which pages exactly in both websites are using it? I can't find any...
I've never used the chronological mode, so I don't know how, or if, it works differently in naming sections, but it might be that the reason is in that difference.

Jansen / 2011-01-03 04:37:47   

Hi. I was just hiding it again. There is one exhibition called test on both websites. I changed them both to chronologically, chose the same theme but nothing changed. They are still running the same plugin, but one is showing results and the other isn't.

fuserGil / 2011-01-03 07:48:27   

Hi Everybody.
Is there a way to the sectional or main visual index to show more than one thumbnail for each exhibit? Or even thumbnails for all images in the exhibits?
I don't know much php or javascript, but this doesn't sound too complicated. I've been tweaking the codes, but as far I don't know exactly what I'm doing, my efforts seems worthless.

My site is this: http://satelite.net.br

Thank you and happy new decade.

ps / 2011-01-03 14:44:44   

Jansen, did you check if the section IDs you set in the plugins match the respective section in both your installations? Maybe they use different IDs? Just to be sure, to find out the actual ID, you go to settings, click on "edit" for the respective section, and then you see the actual ID in the path in the adress bar of your browser. (?)
Also, did you check if you set the visual index plugin to include only hidden exhibits?
And last but not least, try to toggle the "hide from index" and publish on/off switches, sometimes that changes things..
If that doesn't help things, try doing a clean (re)install, may save some time.
cheers
phil

Jansen / 2011-01-04 05:22:25   

So.
Thanks PS: I tried all of this, without result.
New installation (including DB): No result.
New installation with clean urls: No result.
New installation – not using the root-folder: No result.
Exact structure as on my other website: No result.

To sum it up: It's quite frustrating.

Take a loot here:

janeumann.de/portfolio

There is an exhibition called Multisection and one called Main - both are supposed to show the first image of every published exhibition, for some reason they stay blank.

No clue why that happens. Not at all.

rickykappa / 2011-01-04 05:34:35   

@jansen - random questions:
- did you try to switch from eatock theme to sample?
- the multisection is the one I've provided? if so, could you tell if you did any further customization?

Jansen / 2011-01-04 05:57:13   

Thanks. You are really trying to help.
I tried different themes. No customizations were done to your file.

:(

fuserGil / 2011-01-05 07:50:44   

Hi again.

No one have a clue about my question?

I guess something have to be included here in the function "create exhibit":

$pages = $OBJ->db->fetchArray("SELECT media_file, url, title, media_order, media_id
FROM ".PX."media, ".PX."objects
WHERE id = media_ref_id
AND media_order = (SELECT MIN(media_order) FROM ".PX."media WHERE media_ref_id = id)
AND status = '1'
ORDER BY media_id DESC
");

Does it make sense?

I'm studying PHP to understand how it really works.

Thanks

Gil

ag / 2011-01-13 04:42:14   

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to set up my website with this plugin
(thank you for that).

I'd like to hide the name of the exhibit in the menu, but if I check "Hide Page from Index" also the thumbnail disappears from the visul index.

any idea?

www.alessandroguida.eu

thank you

fuserGil / 2011-01-13 08:42:26   

@ag
If you're PS's plugin, just change
AND hidden = 0
to
AND hidden = 1

ag / 2011-01-13 09:53:34   

Hi fuserGil,

thank you for your reply,

tried to change the value but as result it hides the thumbnail insetad of the titles on the menu, my intention would be the opposite.

thank you

fuserGil / 2011-01-13 13:23:59   

Ah... I didn't get it

Have you tried this?

if you don't want tos how titles just take out the line below

$a .= " < strong > & nbsp ;{ $ title } & nbsp ; < /strong >n";

ag / 2011-01-13 16:30:49   

Hey fuserGil,

thank you again,

the line you mentioned hides the titles under the thumbnails, what I would like is to hide the titles under the section on the left menu (the titles under Projects on my website alessandroguida.eu)

thanks

rmearns / 2011-01-14 19:22:15   

Is there a way of displaying the year and section along with the title under the thumbnail?

rmearns / 2011-01-15 19:10:12   

nevermind, found a solution searching the forum. :)

ag / 2011-01-16 04:03:03   

Hi,

anyone's having problems on IE8?

My visual index switchs one position for the first thumbnail, so instead of one thumbnail there is a blank.

FF and previous versions of IE seem ok.

Skaatar / 2011-01-19 05:45:15   

This plugin is great, but:

Is there a way to keep the visual index visible at all times?

This would be perfect.

Then, you will click an image, be transferred into another exhibit but still (for example to the right) you will still be able to see the visual index and click to go to another exhibit..

Best regards

dorocatrame / 2011-01-26 04:56:45   

Hi, I would integrate a masonry plugin with visual index section plugin.
It's possible?
How I can do it?
thank's

G470 / 2011-01-30 04:05:01   

Here is the mod with mansonary integrated. Hope you like it :)

Visual Index with mansonary

par / 2011-02-20 07:56:48   

hello everybody!!
I have a problem with the plugin visual index, it doesn't works. I have read in the forum the solutions of differents persons but i'm french and i don't understand all.
I have put the plugin "exhibit.visual_index.php" in my FTP : "site/plugin" and next?
I don't understand where place the code "< plug:visual_index 3 />, directly in exhibit but where? In main? In the place of text? And what is the number of exhibition? Corresponding at the number of sections? The first sections is 1...the second sections is 2...etc?
And what is the exactly code?
Where are spaces or not?

Thanks for your help!!!
my site : http://carolineracoupeau.fr/
(And i would like visual index main... not for one section.)

Thanks!

jonkalish / 2011-02-20 18:54:49   

It seems that the links are no longer working to download the versions of Visual Index with ordering (by user ps).

Any chance someone can provide new links?

Thanks.

G470 / 2011-02-21 03:48:26   

Hi, @par you downloaded the exhibit.visual_index.php.
This means it is no plugin. no need to put in a plugin code. Just choose it from your exhibit formats on the right side ;)

G470 / 2011-02-21 03:49:54   

@ jonkalish just do a right click on the link and save the source. The Links are correct.

rickykappa / 2011-02-21 04:39:47   

not really... the links in @ps thread are pointing to a download service that needs logging in :-(

G470 / 2011-02-21 08:14:16   

... didn´t read all, sorry for this ;) I thought jonkalish is searching for the original files...

rickykappa / 2011-02-21 08:29:57   

actually, the files are possibly there, but my religion prevents me to register anywhere, when is not really necessary... ;.)

ps / 2011-02-21 13:24:20   

Sorry guys, really busy and changed the structure of my strongspace account, Here they are again:

Visual Index Section
Visual Index Main

cheers
phil

jonkalish / 2011-02-21 19:38:22   

Thanks to all for rapid response. Phil - much appreciated!

kottonr / 2011-03-08 01:38:43   

I've installed the Visual Index to my site, (not currently active) because the spacing and layout does not seem to be in a grid. Can anyone please guide me to create a visual index similar to the one used on http://www.lernertandsander.com/ 's home page.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Corne

www.kottongrafik.com
www.kottonree.org

7 / 2011-03-08 03:30:35   

kottonree is live right? Try putting the visual index from here on that site to start with.

mousek / 2011-03-08 05:17:47   

Jansen Could you upload theme from site janeumann.de or tell me how on it :) .

Thx

kottonr / 2011-03-09 06:59:50   

@7 thankyou for your response.

www.kottongrafik.com is live now, and I've installed the visual index main for the home page.

Can you assist me is creating a similar page/plugin as seen on

www.lernertandsander.com 's home page.

Thank you!

regards,

Corne

diazha / 2011-04-04 09:19:58   

If i specify the AND section_id = 'x' when using exhibit.visual_index_section it works fine, but if I try to add a second section_id none of the sections show up on the page. Why is that? I've followed all the steps and tried to figure it out reading the forums. I'm not one to ask for help, but I really need it this time.

thanks

embezzle / 2011-04-10 13:44:27   

With Visual Index Main, how do I control the spacing between the thumbs? I have tried adding a style to the theme 'styles' CSS file but this doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
Matt

hankypank / 2011-04-11 03:21:50   

Hi there, I’m working on a portfolio site. Now I want to appear the visual main index plugin on the footer of every site. I think I’ve to implement the source code of the plugin into my index.php?! Does anyone have an idea to realize this?! Is there a possibility to order the index after the date the exhibit is published?! Thanks for your help!

hankypank / 2011-04-11 03:23:44   

Sorry… here in real english?! Hihi

Hi there, I’m working on a portfolio site. Now I want the the visual main index plugin appearing on the footer of every site. I think I’ve to implement the source code of the plugin into my index.php?! Does anyone have an idea to realize this?! Is there a possibility to order the index after the date the exhibit is published?! Thanks for your help!

midge218 / 2011-04-11 04:12:49   

how come i cant download either of those links from vaska and the other guy? i can see they are zip files but my mac only let me downlo html from it, and its unreadable.

midge218 / 2011-04-11 04:27:29   

nevermind, got it

dancottrell / 2011-04-19 18:03:05   

I've downloaded the latest version of PS's Visual Index Main, yet it's still coming up with hidden projects on my homepage even though line 25 of the php is:

AND hidden = 0

Any ideas?

:)

dancottrell / 2011-04-19 19:15:47   

I've downloaded the latest version of PS's Visual Index Main, yet it's still coming up with hidden projects on my homepage even though line 25 of the php is:

AND hidden = 0

Any ideas?

:)

This thread has been closed, thank you.