change position of TEXT and IMAGES

linkskursiv / 2008-05-29 14:46:50   

I experience a problem in my exhibition in slideshow modus, hope anybody can help me. I tried for several hours to change the position of the text to the right as an own column but with not changing the position of the Image-captions-etc column. Where can I tag the text as an id or whatever and seperate it from the rest?

My ideal layout would be:
Caption

and on the right, starting with the same height:
prev / next
Main Text

http://test.gesamtgestaltung.de/identitaet/cinefest/

Vaska A / 2008-05-29 15:46:27   

Sounds like you need to customize the exhibition format.

linkskursiv / 2008-05-29 16:25:49   

Hi vaska, thanks for the answer! yeah, I tried hard on customizing the "exhibit.slideshow.php", but it is rocket science to me ... I tried to put a "div" or "class" tag somewhere but where is excactly the main text coded? All the other pieces I got seperated by divs and classes. But every pieces stays dependent on the position/ending of the main text.

linkskursiv / 2008-06-02 13:50:27   

I mean that every element seems to stay dependent on the position of the ending of the text ... So is there a chance to say "start with the pics and than put the maintext" ?? ;-))

Thank you so much!!!

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-06-03 02:38:51   

It is possible. You need to rework the order of how the plugin outputs the html and shape it up to suit your needs.

linkskursiv / 2008-06-03 07:33:55   

Yeah, that sounds like exactly what I want to do. But coukd you give me a hint? Is it the "index.php" in the plugin folder that manages the output order or is it the "exhibit.slideshow.php" (as I chose the slideshow plugin) which contains the output order? Sorry for asking such a question, but I am not the most skilled PHP guy. But I want to learn and make it through.

linkskursiv / 2008-06-03 07:43:52   

From my guessing it would be the "exhibit.slideshow.php" - but there are several parts in it. I guess it has to do with this function "createExhibit()"

So it seems to me as there are four parts in this function:

function createExhibit()
{

// 1.) beginning of the formula...

$OBJ =& get_instance();

// 2.) ** DON'T FORGET THE TEXT ** //

// 3.) people will probably want to customize this up

// 4.) images

}

On which of them should I start?
Thank you so much for anybody giving a hand on this ...

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-06-03 09:55:08   

Well, really, the first thing you should do I read a bit about PHP (web tutorials and introductions to PHP programming) to get a better understanding of how things are "flowing" in the plugin. Then you'll be able to know where it is sensible to move parts of the code from one place to the other. Often the code needs to be executed in a predefined order to do its "magic"

I know this sounds "dry" as an answer, but this will help you in the long run if you intend to further do customization to indexhibit's templates and plugins by yourself.

I never used the slideshow plugin itself, so i can't really give you a precise answer, but an educated guess would be that the line close to ** DON'T FORGET THE TEXT ** // would be responsible for the text content output of the plugin. By moving this after the output of the images, you should get the result expected.

Once again, you can do this by trial an error or you can read a bit about PHP code structures and variables and will become somewhat able to "read" what's happening in the code. This won't make you a programmer, but it will let you hack the code around with confidence and that is mostly what's needed to do customizations to indexhibit.

linkskursiv / 2008-06-04 12:58:41   

Antoine, thank you for your helpful words! Changing the order does not result in the wished effect, but I keep on trying ...

hellomuller / 2008-06-04 23:49:03   

I'm wrestling with the same 'problem' (same plugin etc)... I'll keep my eye on this thread if someone find the solution – or post it if I find it myself (being a php n00b, don't hold up your hopes!)

Vaska A / 2008-06-05 13:24:53   

I'll post something soon on this...

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-06-06 07:01:05   

linkskursiv, hellomuller,

This is very quick and dirty, but this should give you some control over the placement of the text and navigation elements and images.

*EDIT

ARGH! My code snippets got all busted by the forum filters... I will make a file attachment and repost my explanation. Please wait just a little more :)

*RE-EDIT

Well Vaska did it again. no need to post it anymore I guess. See below.

Vaska A / 2008-06-06 10:24:40   

Take this...drop it into your /ndxz-studio/site/plugin/ folder...then select it up in the system.

I would not consider releasing this publicly because I could forsee many complications happening with this. The Slideshow plugin has too many issues to count with the way it does things...needs to be replaced with something more simple and elegant. I recommend testing it in other browsers...I'm doing this very fast and I don't keep a PC on in my studio usually. There is enough info in the file to make basic adjustments to padding, etc...

Let us know how it goes. ;)

Linkskursiv_Muller Exhibition Plugin

linkskursiv / 2008-06-09 11:49:42   

Hi Vaska,

Thank you so much!! This works perfect for me!

I just have one tiny question: How is it ossible, that the CSS definition "width=264px" is not working to break the lines according to the brown line above? I got it tagged via CSS as a div. But somehow this width thing is not applying.
Do you have any clou about this?

Here is my experiment:

Vaska A / 2008-06-09 12:12:27   

You need to get in there and play with your css...

linkskursiv / 2008-06-09 13:06:31   

Hi Vaska, just to get it right: I did not ask you because I was too lazy. I tried several ways to get it right. (tagging and styling inside the PHP, and then with the external CSS file etc.)

But now I got it right. The solution was to define the width by defining the width of the "p" instead of this whole "id".

thx. christian

Vaska A / 2008-06-09 13:38:47   

I didn't say that.

All I did was point you in the direction...and you solved it...job well done!

Over the years, and not just in this forum but also in a HUGE programming forum, I have helped many thousands of people learn how to program (or at least get started). I'm not doing anything different here...I point people in a direction...sometimes I'll provide samples...the ones who want it will find the way.

I'm sorry for some people around here...asking us to customize things for them is not something we're going to do. But if you try...show us...go through a learning process...I'm much more likely to get involved. We solved your problem in the end, didn't we?

;)

linkskursiv / 2008-06-09 14:19:46   

Yes we did! Thanks a lot for that!!

One thing I have noticed right now with the "Linkskursiv_Muller Exhibition Plugin" you gave us:
When you are uploading only one photo, the navigation of the exhibition is somehow staying far down. It gets fixed the moment you upload another pic in it ...

Sample with one Pic:
http://test.gesamtgestaltung.de/editorial/electrolux/

Sample with two pics:

matthieu / 2009-01-28 14:25:45   

Thanks again Vaska !

I have not any knowledge in php, but i've been able to customize it a bit...
I compared it with LeslieOA's slideshow tweaked version and made only a few changes.

It seems to work perfectly !
http://matthieulerouxel.com/

geester / 2009-02-03 20:24:17   

hi how do u change it so that it goes underneath the slideshow?

thanks

geester / 2009-02-03 20:31:32   

i notice that there is a div element:

element.style {
margin-left:742px;
}

am i able to change the 6x of this because i notice that it is in the html

geester / 2009-02-03 20:32:08   

change the *742 pixels i meant!

Vaska A / 2009-02-03 20:43:02   

What?

biber4real / 2009-02-16 03:58:16   

Hi Vaska, I am new in the indexhibit comunity. The thing I would like to change is:
Have the image on top
and the text underneath it with the "back/next" navigation besides it. I wrote all of the comments in the forum, but couldn't figure out how I should do it. I tried to customize your Linkskursiv_Muller Exhibition Plugin.

But unfortunately I had no luck....

Here is an example what I am talking about. That's exactly how I would like to have it, except that the title should also be under the slideshow:
http://masoodkamandy.com/photography/two-twenty-nine/

Can you please let me know what exactly I need to change in exhibit slideshow.php?

Thanks a lot!

Vaska A / 2009-02-16 06:34:10   

I can't...Masood doesn't want people copying his site...and I don't want to help people do this. If somebody else has the answers that's cool...but it won't be me. Good luck.

jodi / 2009-02-16 19:24:27   

It's actually not very difficult once you know how.

There's a bit at the bottom that's headed with //images. That's just displaying things that are going to be html. The line that says:

1. $s .= $a;

is where the image itself gets inserted.

So to move the nav below it, literally move it below. It's got to be outside the s1 div, so put it before the very last div.

Then to add the text there, go up to where it says

1. $s = $rs['content'];

and change it to

1. $txt = $rs['content'];

Now, wherever you have the $txt variable it will output the text.

So underneath the nav, put

1. $s .= $txt;

Then you should be away!

Let us know how you get on.

Vaska A / 2009-02-16 21:19:01   

How about showing a link to what you are doing here...I don't even understand it...as I don't see how this really changes things (there are some serious things going on with absolute positioning here).

Zach / 2009-02-16 22:28:57   

man, this is almost exactly what i've been trying to pull off.

biber4real / 2009-02-16 22:43:47   

Hi Jodi,

thanks a lot for your help. The thing is, I don't understand any coding so far. Even if I go step by step of your explanations, it doesn't work. I decided to teach myself some basic coding, before I start with the layout of my homepage an than try again.
I appreciate your fast reply, thanks!

jodi / 2009-02-17 00:15:41   

Vaska, I'm basically just placing the main text and the nav after the images in the HTML. That'd let the user style the page into a similar form as Masood's. (which is really nice btw)

I'm 99% sure that's what I'm doing, anyway. It worked on this site, though in a slightly altered form. Please let me know if I'm wrong. I've literally only touched PHP for the first time in the last week, so I might be missing something.

jodi / 2009-02-17 00:22:21   

Biber - Yeah, I was assuming some knowledge of HTML, and I didn't include any mention of the title, as that's something I never figured out how to do properly.

Try the links at the top of the forum, they have some good HTML & CSS tutorials. Good luck!

Vaska A / 2009-02-17 04:26:24   

That only works if the images are all the same width...or forced to have the same width...

jodi / 2009-02-18 02:11:09   

Specifically, the div containing the pictures has a constant width.

pagan / 2009-03-09 13:59:11   

I've taken the information in this thread and applied it but have been unable to, "rework the order of how the plugin outputs the html" to "shape it up to suit" my needs. I'd like the navigation to follow (below) the caption. Can anybody help? Link here to see a visual. My site. Many thanks.

Vaska A / 2009-03-09 17:43:26   

Hi Daniel:

Ok...as long as you know that if your images aren't the same size the nav for moving through the images is going to move around in space...

Oh wait...this is difficult because the way to make this work would be to position the nav but you would have to do this...oh geez...really not simple.

You are having issues with this because it's super hard actually...

I recommend you search the forum for 'click switch' and try out the Iwakami format - much easier to change...although it does work slightly differently. See if this might suit your needs.

I don't like Slideshow because it's way to complicated to work with...

pagan / 2009-03-10 02:23:58   

Thanks for giving it a think Vaska. I appreciate it. I'll follow your suggestion and search the forum.

Audreys / 2009-10-26 23:49:45   

Hi,

I got some Problem with the position of the Text.
I downloaded exhibit.linkskursiv_muller.php.zip
And copy it into the exhibit.slideshow.php

avisar / 2009-12-26 13:10:37   

Hello,

ive been trying to use the linkskursiv_Muller Exhibition Plugin provided above, but i would very much like the text to be on the LEFT side of the pictures, instead of the right. ive searched the forum and have found plugins that position the text anywhere but where i want it, and i cant seem to put my finger on the exact spot in the php file that needs to be edited. ive tried editing different lines, but nothing seems to change.
i would truly appreciate a hint in the right direction, as i am still just learning. thanks in advance!

avisar

http://avisar.ws/

avisar / 2009-12-29 20:26:51   

help? anyone?

verena / 2010-01-26 21:53:51   

Hi,
I've been through several threads and also read about the "Iwakami/click switch" and the "linkskursiv_muller" plugin. But I only got confused.

All I would like to do is place the prev+next button and the text below the slidebox – like on this site:

http://www.matterpractice.net/ongoing/moca/
matterpractice

I have no php knowledge and only basic html skills, but is there a understandable way to realize that? I will try hard if anyone can give me a hint.

Thanks in advance,
V.

laurent / 2010-01-27 05:29:21   

hello,

I am trying to do this right, but no… I am a dumb coder and it doesn't work. my nav is far away on the right side. how can I fix this?

+ I have an other request, I have my slide show, and I would like to have when I finish to see the pictures a text, who explain the project, is it possible to have a text at the same place of the images?
(I have tried to make my text as an image and to put it at the end of the slide show, but it was a bad trick)

you can see how far I am bad on
http://www.wy-to.com/residential/per/

if anyone can help, sorry to polluted this discussion with my dull questions.

thx

laurent

arsondpi / 2010-01-27 09:26:30   

coding skills are need to customize stuff - sorry guys. Nevertheless this is how I learn things and I'm not a coder...

Anyhow there's a few similar alternatives - try searching the forum for Slider, SliderPro, SliderFloatLeft...
See if any of these exhibition formats suit your needs.

gewirtz / 2010-01-27 19:23:54   

I have been following this thread for a few days and it has been very helpful. thanks to all that have posted. I have a question relating to linkskursiv comment on: 2008-06-09 14:19:46. As i have encountered the same issue;

" with the "Linkskursiv_Muller Exhibition Plugin":
When you are uploading only one photo, the navigation of the exhibition is somehow staying far down. It gets fixed the moment you upload another pic in it ..."

On linkskursiv's links he has seemed to fix the problem but no solution was posted.

also, it seems like there is a bug with the arrows for some reason the back button does not seem to work?

please see my site:
page with multi-image formated as desired: http://www.gatesstudio.com/index.php?/zanna/totes/

page with single image format problem:
http://www.gatesstudio.com/index.php?/honed/xx/

jayem / 2010-03-09 15:54:14   

as far as i can see, i have made a functioning version, image on top, content underneath, prev|next up top (can be moved below also i guess).

download it here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/361104367/exhibit.razorslideshow.php.zip

enjoy, feel free to post about bugs, conflicts, whatever ;)

j

jayem / 2010-03-09 16:17:57   

ok, so it seems this disables the text from the exhibit if there isn't an image there too. will post an update soon... hopefully.

j

jayem / 2010-03-09 17:00:25   

now that i've thought about it... if i need to have just text, i'll use a different exhibit style.

jayem / 2010-03-09 19:07:26   

also, my version breaks with more than 1 image. back to the drawing board.

andres / 2010-03-10 16:21:11   

hi everybody!
i have the same problem than gewirtz and linkskursiv.
"When I'm uploading only one photo, the navigation of the exhibition is somehow staying far down. It gets fixed the moment you upload another pic in it ..."
any solution?
thank you guys!
btw, you do a real great job!!!

adcon / 2010-09-18 21:23:22   

Hello, yep, same issue on the text being far down with one picture. Also, I'd like to have the text starting at the top, in line with the top of the image and the prev/ next function below it. Just like this site employs:

http://www.bbbours.com/

So there are just two arrows and no indication of how many images there are. I have firebug, but really limited knoledge on coding, how I've go where I have with my site is still surprising. Is there a way I can detect how he's achieved the style and copy it into my plugin or style sheet etc..? Even better, anyone offer how they might get what I'm after?

my site in progress is,

http://www.aconnolly.co.uk/

Thanks, Adam

adcon / 2010-09-18 21:23:27   

Hello, yep, same issue on the text being far down with one picture. Also, I'd like to have the text starting at the top, in line with the top of the image and the prev/ next function below it. Just like this site employs:

http://www.bbbours.com/

So there are just two arrows and no indication of how many images there are. I have firebug, but really limited knoledge on coding, how I've go where I have with my site is still surprising. Is there a way I can detect how he's achieved the style and copy it into my plugin or style sheet etc..? Even better, anyone offer how they might get what I'm after?

my site in progress is,

http://www.aconnolly.co.uk/

Thanks, Adam

This thread has been closed, thank you.