broke in ie7

spiritform / 2008-06-06 20:13:51   

hello. i'm trying to get this site working in ie7. i'm using the sample theme and making edits to the ie.css and nothing seems to happen.

http://www.afterglowstudios.tv/2008/

Vaska A / 2008-06-06 20:54:36   

Of course, because the stylesheet is for IE6 and below (conditional). 7 wasn't even out when this was released...

It should work just fine in IE7 with the normal stylesheet.

spiritform / 2008-06-06 21:27:36   

oh ok, thanks.

steeverb / 2008-08-16 23:22:16   

Hi, I love indexhibit and know that customizing is iffy... not expert in ie positioning hacks, and am pushing my luck.

I'm trying to use iframed to bring in flash slideshows / extra CSS positioning using divs. Works perfectly in FF/Safari, and even older IE but not with ie7. Only the right frame shows up in ie7.

http://excessmarks.com
I tried customizing the ie.css file here but was just guessing:
http://excessmarks.com/ndxz-studio/site/publish/ie_messed.css

Thanks, would appreciate any feedback or places to look to fix this. Steve

Vaska A / 2008-08-16 23:43:11   

ok...just a glance at your css and it's not good...

you can't style #menu or #content with padding or margin (use their .container's for this). i also see width 100% for intro_main and outro...something...and this could be causing chaos too.

could be many things making ie7 freak out...needs time going through each issue.

steeverb / 2008-08-16 23:53:51   

Vaska, small world! yeah with Ultra, nothing fancy, just following the super-minimal store design... trying to keep them related.

Thanks for the look -- well, I'm relieved to know that my weak CSS skills are the culprit. I'll go back in and clean it up as the first step. Thanks a lot for writing -- Appreciate the feedback. S

chad / 2008-09-15 21:08:44   

I'm having trouble with positioning in css - firefox/safari/etc all look fine, but ie7 moves everything all around.

chad-carpenter.com

Perhaps I have similar problems as steeverb. is there any place I should look to in order to learn how ie fails with css?

Thanks for any advice/feedback. Chad

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-09-16 02:09:35   

chad,

One good way to start debugging your CSS on your own is to use Firefox and install a plugin called Firebug.

It will let you inspect your page and see what CSS is applied where and you can even turn on/off some style and even add new styles to test out new ideas.

This is very useful, but it doesn't replace checking everything in any of the browsers you intend to support. IE is especially nasty since it often does behave like you might expect it to. From my experience, the best way to do CSS and be assured that it is consistent on all platform is to add small bit and check on all the browsers you intent to support. If you find any inconsistencies at any step, go back, check for possible errors and if it doesn't work, use another approach that will be consistent.

This is indeed a lot of work, and not very fun, but this is the only way for now to achieve top level CSS.

This thread has been closed, thank you.