only exhibits not found (404 error)

dafu / 2011-11-03 06:49:32   

Hello

my site: www.dafu.ch

I have been using indexhibit for about a year and I'm very happy with this great tool!

It's only yesterday that I noticed that all my exhibits are no longer accessible - I get the 404 not found error. The strange thing is (at least for my little knowledge of html,php, etc.), that the exhibits perfectly work in the preview mode (in the edit page).

I'm not aware of having changed anything on the server in recent times. Could anybody help me?
Do you think it is a problem with my provider? some database changes?

Thanks in advance for any support
David

Vaska A / 2011-11-03 07:09:52   

Something happened to your .htaccess file - make sure it's still there and has the rules in it.

blameme / 2011-11-03 07:12:30   

If you haven't changed anything then you should definitley ask your host if anything has changed, otherwise it is likely a permissions issue, you could check that all your permissions are set correctly according to the Install guide.

blameme / 2011-11-03 07:13:00   

Oh yea, or what Vaska said ;)

dafu / 2011-11-03 07:27:50   

Thank you both for the prompt help!

It was the corrupt .htaccess file - which I have restored now.

Best, David

samshannon / 2013-08-06 02:48:36   

Hello,

I am having the same problem as Dafu. For some reason it is only the exhibits that are giving me the not found 404 error response.

I have resorted my .htaccess file from the original index folder that I downloaded earlier today and still no luck.

This is a link to my site: samkillssam.com/

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Samantha

samshannon / 2013-08-06 02:59:16   

I think I actually figured out why this is happening but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I wanted to have a splash page and so following one of the forums I added an "index.html" doc to my root folder and I was told to change the "index.php" file name to "home.php". I assume that is causing the issues with the error code?

Hope this helps get closer to solving the issue.

Thank you!

S

arsondpi / 2013-08-06 07:32:52   

Yes. Rename the index.php back to... index.php.
Then follow the instructions on how to Enable Clean URLs found in the Help section on the left.

* Last but not least this is a 2 year old thread about the Legacy version of Indexhibit and not Version 2.

samshannon / 2013-08-06 11:42:50   

Thank you!

Could you also point me in the right direction for making a proper splash page?

Best,

S

arsondpi / 2013-08-06 12:33:20   

there is no "right" way. if you reverted home.php to index.php, enabled clean urls and have the index.html page in the same directory then it may work - try it!

samshannon / 2013-08-06 13:09:08   

oh I see! Let me try that now.

Thanks!

samshannon / 2013-08-06 15:54:50   

So I changed the file back to "index.php" and went enabled the clean urls. My site works now without any error cods, but the splash page does not appear when you first visit the site.

The splash page is still named, "index.html", if I name it something different will it work? Or do I need to add a line of code to another file?

Thank you for all your help!

S

Vaska A / 2013-08-06 17:02:57   

No, it's there...

samkillssam.com/…

The server seems to be setup to give an index.php file preference over index.html. Or, this is an .htaccess thing. Most webhosts that I've seen give preference to index.html first - so this is an odd situation.

samshannon / 2013-08-06 19:58:15   

It only seems to go there when you use samkillssam.com/index.com, not when you just enter samkillssam.com. Do I have to call my host to change the preference?

arsondpi / 2013-08-07 06:35:54   

You can contact them and kindly ask.

samshannon / 2013-08-07 18:27:03   

Great news! Turns out my preferences were slightly different and I only had to change the name of the splash page file to "default.html" which is a higher preference than "index.php" or "index.html" for my server, Linux.

Thanks all!

S

Vaska A / 2013-08-07 18:28:58   

Great. I'm closing this thread because it's resolved but it was also originally a v1 thread.

This thread has been closed, thank you.