Undo upgrade?

mmk / 2012-05-31 12:53:21   

First of all, thank you very much for Indexhibit 2.0. It is absolutely great. Still... i figured it would take me a lot of time till everything's the way i want it to be.
So i thought about going back to my old site and wait till i have the time to really do the upgrade. I was using the columner_theme which i love.

So what happens if i simply replace my httpdocs folder in the cyberduck with my old site? i have made copy of my httpdocs folder just before the upgrade. I was just wondering if something could go wrong because of the new installation.

You have to know that i really don't know anything about code, ftp servers and so on...

Thank you very much.

matthiasaschauer.com

Vaska A / 2012-05-31 12:55:54   

We'll be putting out a columner theme for Indexhibit 2 in just a couple of days...it's already done, I just need to look over a few things.

Going back to your old site is more complicated than that. Did you output a backup of your database? If so, you can restore that, put your files back in place, and all should be good.

mmk / 2012-05-31 13:01:49   

ok. i already thought it would be more complicated. yes i did. i have it in my downloads folder. what do i have to do with it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your quick response.

pernin / 2012-05-31 13:06:58   

if you did a database backup through phpmyadmin (an sql export):

you need to go into phpmyadmin, drop the indexhibit table and then import trhe exported backup sql file

mmk / 2012-05-31 13:14:58   

"Page two archives your database simply by clicking on a link - do not skip this step. Save this archive to a memorable location on your computer should you ever need it. It will allow you to downgrade to the older version of Indexhibit."

that's what i did. and additionally i have all the old files backed up on my HD.
I just don't know where i have to put the .sql file? where do i find the phpmyadmin?

Sorry for the inconvenience. I should have thought about this before upgrading. I was just really excited about the new version.

pernin / 2012-05-31 13:19:21   

you find phpmyadmin in your host's control panel, probably where you originially made your mysql database

pernin / 2012-05-31 13:28:55   

sorry, just tested, it's not even necessary to drop the tables, the backup file will take care of it

mmk / 2012-05-31 13:30:16   

Ok. I'm afraid it was a friend of mine who did this for me. I will try to contact him.

Thanks!!

pernin / 2012-05-31 13:37:58   

it's not difficult: go into phpmyadmin for your mysql database, choose import and choose the sql backup fuile to import. That's it.

On the other hand, if you've never been there or done or that, it's good to have someone do it for you. Just make sure you look over the shoulder, so you'll be able to do it yourself next time ;)

mmk / 2012-05-31 21:56:16   

It is a friend of mine who hosts the site and he used to run my old wordpress site. So i didn't even have the access data for the host site. He gave it to me and i imported the backup SQL, than i replaced all the data in the httpdocs with my old content.

I have access to my old admin site now, everything is the way it used to be, but my site is empty :(

matthiasaschauer.com

I have no clue what to do now...

ERROR
SQL-Comand
DROPTABLE ´ndxz_media'

Don't really know what to make of this. Maybe it is easier to just clean install v73 and than put my files back in httpdocs?

Thank you guys.

btw, can't wait for the columner

mmk / 2012-05-31 21:59:40   

OH SHIT. sorry. ignore everything below the "I have no clue what to do now..."
I originally wanted to write that because i had this error message, i solved that problem on my own though!! SORRY.

The backup SQL is installed without an error message!!

G470 / 2012-05-31 22:10:28   

Glad to hear that :) Post back if you still have trouble, we´ll see what we can do.

mmk / 2012-05-31 22:14:00   

Oh man. stupid me. I accidentally deleted the httpSdocs and replaced it. Not the httpdocs. I put everything back in the httpdocs and now my site is like it used to be... Great! Problem solved for now.

mmk / 2012-05-31 22:22:15   

I just don't really know how to approach creating my new site now. The best way would be to have my old site online while playing around with the new features of v2.0 with a fresh install on maybe another domain!? Is this possible? Like on a subdomain or so? And when the new site is finished putting it on the main domain...

Vaska A / 2012-05-31 22:45:27   

Yes, of course it's possible - just upload and install it to a folder and you are on your way. Customizing the parts, slowly, and even with our help, will be really good.

Indexhibit is very portable, you can easiliy move it from folder to folder with little serious problems.

jbpk / 2012-06-01 04:53:05   

Hello.

I implore you to assist me in undoing the upgrade. I backed up everything properly as advised in the "Upgrading' secton.

Thus far I have:
-Went into phpmyadmin for my mysql database & imported my backup file.
-removed the updated files/folders from the new Indexhibit.zip download

I have no clue where I made an error.

jamesbknight.com

mmk / 2012-06-01 07:48:54   

it is not enough to just import the backup file... you still have to put back all your data!

pernin / 2012-06-01 09:32:50   

@jbpk:

double check that the root index.php is the correct one

you're getting a warning that index.php doesn't find defaults.php -- if you're using the wrong (version 2) index.php it means it's looking for ndxzstudio/defaults.php instead for ndxz-studio/defaults.php

I can see that you get a login screen at http://jamesbknight.com/ndxz-studio/ -- are you able to log in and see your old site?

jbpk / 2012-06-01 12:47:05   

@permin:

Yes I can preview singular pages at jamesbknight.com/ndxz-studio/ -- but thats the extent

jbpk / 2012-06-01 14:15:03   

@permin:

Okay, I've noticed my root index.php and ndxz-studio/index.php are the same file. Is that where I messed up?

pernin / 2012-06-01 14:18:10   

if they are, that's wrong. just to be on the safe side, replace with the correct ones -- and be careful, even if they are called the same, they are different

jbpk / 2012-06-01 14:35:43   

Am I screwed if I dont have a copy of the original root index.php file? because i think that i dont.

pernin / 2012-06-01 14:40:51   

what version are you using? 0.70 or 073?

Vaska A / 2012-06-01 14:42:46   

Did you backup your files before you did this?

It seems like it was more work to undo - would have been easier to go forward.

jbpk / 2012-06-01 14:54:18   

@permin: 0.70 i believe.

pernin / 2012-06-01 14:57:38   

If I recall correctly, the root index.php of 070 and 073 were different. Login and check the version, to be sure ;)

jbpk / 2012-06-01 14:59:37   

at the bottom of jamesbknight.com/ndxz-studio/ - page, it says 'Indexhibit v0.70d'.

pernin / 2012-06-01 15:09:25   

here it is: root index.php v0.70

jbpk / 2012-06-01 15:16:52   

back in business, baby!

Thank you. Now to responsibly play with v2.0

pernin / 2012-06-01 15:20:35   

;)

educelon / 2012-06-02 12:37:45   

Hi there,

First off, congratulations for the new Indexhibit version.

Although it looks brill, it just happened the same to me as mmk, and would like to undo and return to my old Indexhibit version (v71).

So, using Cyberduck I deleted all the files related to CMS 2 and using Phpmyadmin I imported the sql file that should restore the old version.

I also did a back up of /files/ and /ndxz-studio/ folders in my computer, and my database seems to keep saving all files.

The problem is when I want to login to Indexhibit and also when I want to see my website, it appears the following text: "Database is unavailable."

What went wrong?

Thanks for your help and many thanks in advance.

educelon / 2012-06-02 12:39:45   

Oh, the website is educelon.es/

pernin / 2012-06-02 12:54:27   

It looks as if you missed some step there... have you done step 3? is the sql import file the right one?

in FTP:
1) delete cms 2
2) upload the backup of your old site

in phpmyadmin:
3) drop tables from database
4) import sql file with your old tables and data

educelon / 2012-06-02 13:06:49   

Hi pernin A,

First off, sorry because I am very basic at this.

In FTP:
1) Yes, I deleted all files and folders related to CMS 2: Got rid of the /ndxzsite/, /ndxzstudio/ and /dimgs/ folders, the upgrade.php file and the index.php is now the one I used with v71.
2) As for the old site, I just did a back up of /files/ and /ndxz-studio/ folders. I didn't delete them from the FTP. Is there any reason I should replace them if they are the same?

In phpmyadmin:
3) Uops, I didn't do that. What does it exactly mean?
4) I just imported a file named "indexhibit_backup_20120602.sql", which I created following the instructions in the Indexhibit steps. Should include all old tables and data, right?

educelon / 2012-06-02 13:30:49   

Hi again,

In my phpMyAdmin, there are these tables:

iptocountry
ndxz_abstracts
ndxz_media
ndxz_objects
ndxz_objects_prefs
ndxz_plugins
ndxz_sections
ndxz_settings
ndxz_stats
ndxz_stats_exhibits
ndxz_stats_storage
ndxz_subsections
ndxz_tagged
ndxz_tags
ndxz_users

What should I dod with them?

pernin / 2012-06-02 13:39:59   

well, I see that dropping the tables shouldn't be necessary when using the backup made during upgrade...

in that case, does ndxz-studio/config/config.php exist? with your database info?

Vaska A / 2012-06-02 13:39:59   

How can we write the warning better so that people won't try doing upgrades when they aren't ready to complete them?

Should we discontinue the upgrade option completely? I think we'll do that - I'll take away the upgrade option completely...

pernin / 2012-06-02 13:41:13   

I agree wholeheartedly, only clean installs for a while

Vaska A / 2012-06-02 13:46:20   

Why do people even attempt these? Are they even reading the tutorial about it?

I'm super frustrated with this...

educelon / 2012-06-02 13:48:59   

Hi pernin A,

Problem solved! Somehow In the ndxz-studio/config/config.php, the password was not right.

Hi Vaska A,

Apologies for being a pain in the ass. It was my fault – I just tried to do something I was not ready for. My fault.

Thank you so much for your help and kudos for the new Indexhibit version.

Best wishes.

pernin / 2012-06-02 13:52:02   

too many different setups, and people generally read badly, especially things they don't understand... what can I say, it's better to do a clean install, unless... maybe pictures?

mmk / 2012-06-22 13:51:21   

@ Vaska

Is the columner theme you mentioned earlier already available somewhere? Will you post it in the news section as soon as it's available?

Thank You.

This thread has been closed, thank you.