Slideshow format

bipster / 2012-05-31 15:27:07   

Hi!

Has anyone tried to convert the old slideshow format to the 2.0 format? I followed the help section but I'm stuck at $this->imgs = $OBJ->page->get_imgs() part.

Thanks

lemathieu A / 2012-05-31 15:32:59   

Hello,
A new slideshow is coming soon.

bipster / 2012-05-31 16:46:10   

Great!

fernandosica / 2012-06-01 04:08:18   

The kind of slideshow you are talking about is like the old one that goes directly to an image without the initial Thumbnail index?
If not.... is there a way to jump the little thumbnails and just click previous/ next?

thanks!!!

oscarito / 2012-06-07 11:50:20   

I miss the old simple slideshow format too :-)

linuesa / 2012-06-07 16:21:36   

I bought today Indexhibit 2.0 because I think a very good initiative that should be supported. Even so, it seems very unprofessional not to include all the features of previous Indexhibit in this new version. The display format "slideshow" was the one we use 90% of users for its cleanliness, functionality.

Approximately when will appear the adaptation of "slideshow" to the new version 2.0?

pernin / 2012-06-07 17:03:25   

@linuesa: hardly fair, taking into account all the work that goes into this. And exhibition formats are contributed by users, so you first need the platform, and more exhibition formats will be coming afterwards.

linuesa / 2012-06-07 21:41:11   

Four people asking for it on the first days? It seems a little important stuff to fix.
And as I said I think a very good initiative that should be supported.

pernin / 2012-06-08 05:51:57   

nope, that the program is working correctly is more important, adding formats beyond those decided to ship initially comes after. Or you can make the changes yourself and contribute to the community, that's how it always has worked

My remark was not aimed towards your asking for a format, but your tone: calling us unprofessional will not get you help in a hurry. Please read the forum guidelines

linuesa / 2012-06-09 11:39:45   

Permin, sorry for the tone of my previous message. It was unfortunate. Obviously it is important that the basis of the program runs smoothly and that the formats will follow. I was a little disappointed that "slideshow" was the only format used to create my website. Unfortunately I have no knowledge to fix it or do it myself so I'll have to wait out the new format. I hope it does soon, because I think there are many people waiting.

Thank you for your work and sorry again if I have offended you.

Vaska A / 2012-06-09 18:19:43   

It will be released next week at some point...

I've been held up with rewriting the installer.

linuesa / 2012-06-09 23:27:16   

Great news! Thanks Vaska!!
It will be necessary to reinstall the web or you can install only the new "slideshow" format?

Vaska A / 2012-06-09 23:43:02   

No, you won't need to reinstall. It's simply a format...

philipbo / 2012-06-10 07:24:46   

You can do like I have done here as a start: bit.ly/…
Use documenta and hide the exhibit in the menu and instead make a link to the first picture in the exhibit.

linuesa / 2012-06-10 20:13:38   

Perfect Vaska!

Pereira / 2012-06-18 17:35:18   

Hi, can we have a simple slideshow please?
Regards,

christiaan / 2012-06-19 16:42:04   

Any word on the updated Slideshow format? I've looked like a twat for two years telling my director v2 of Indexhibit is coming soon. Now I've told him it's here but we have to wait for another week for this Slideshow format. Now that week has gone and I look like a twat again.

Vaska A / 2012-06-19 16:43:54   

How do you I think I feel hearing stories like this...

I wish I had some help, but I don't.

My life sucks...

christiaan / 2012-06-19 16:53:12   

Okay, please pretend I didn't say that.

linuesa / 2012-06-19 16:54:54   

Vaska,
I support your job, waiting for the new slideshow.
cheer up!

christiaan / 2012-06-19 17:10:38   

Think of it another way: I've waited around two years for this software and I'll wait another week, because there's nothing else that comes close. That cheer you up?

Vaska A / 2012-06-19 17:57:59   

Do you want to help me with Slideshow? I'll send you the files and you tell me which planet I'm living on. I could use some of that right now. Just send me a note...

christiaan / 2012-06-19 19:15:04   

Sure I can help but I doubt I'd be of any use to you.

murcia / 2012-06-21 18:10:07   

Hi,
I´m actually using indexhibit v1 and i will try move my web to v2.
In first place i want to say that it is a great initiative and i´m very grateful for it. But i have to ask for the slideshow. I see this exhibit mode in some of the exhibitions in the demo, but when i try to use, i don´t know where is it.
I don´t want to change my web until slideshow are ready, but as i said, i think i´ve seen it in demo, is it posible?

Thank you again for your work. I would like to help but i don´t know programming. All my encourage.

jersmi0 / 2012-06-23 01:13:13   

Excited about what I see in v2.
+1 for something like the v1 simple slideshow.

maybe off topic, but also wondering about padding around thumbs (so it doesn't look like the site link below) and maybe selecting thumbnail img for square thumbs?

sonsmi.com/index.php/works/paintings-1/

bipster / 2012-06-23 08:50:34   

+1 for a slideshow format

Pereira / 2012-06-24 12:04:15   

+1

Vaska A / 2012-06-24 12:05:06   

I'll post it later today or tomorrow to our dev blog - it's nearly ready but I need to people to try it out.

jersmi0 / 2012-06-24 19:36:12   

I'd try it out if you just need someone to get it up and running and try to break things. If you need any coding, afraid I'm useless.

I'm on California time. Is there a way to get forum email notifications?

Vaska A / 2012-06-24 19:49:01   

I'll post it to the development blog tomorrow. I'll also post the link to the development blog too...haha...there isn't much there yet though.

Vaska A / 2012-06-24 23:44:58   

I'm seeking feedback on the new Slideshow format. Just a quick rundown of what it does...

- allows you to place your box text on any side
- adjust body text width
- adjust space between text and image (left and right)
- use fade or no effect
- preloading of images
- navigation via keyboard < > or click left and right over file

Be sure to try out the global options in Admin > Formats

There are still a few minor things that need to be done but it's very near finished.

indexhibit.org/downloads/…

bipster / 2012-06-25 06:43:16   

I tried it. It's working well just on Firefox. On Chrome, the slideshow numbers are appearing above the images instead of over them. On IE, the slideshow stops working in the second slide.

jersmi0 / 2012-06-25 06:57:52   

first off, thank you. i totally and completely appreciate all your work.

sonsmi.com/index.php/works/paintings-1/
works: images display, prev/next works, current/total display works. fine. i can live with it.
not working: I inserted title and caption for img1 and img2, but img2 does not display, and img1 displays for all the rest, which currently have no title/caption.

regarding design: at first i thought, please, nothing overlapping the image content, no arrows, no number display, nothing, ever. give us the option to have this info at top left, like v1, simple, always there. hovering to discover how the slideshow advances is questionable. then i thought, i like that it is interactive with the image, does it just take a little getting used to? then i thought that the interactivity slightly competes with content.

if this is what we get, then it'll do. i miss the simplicity, though.

plocploc / 2012-06-25 07:51:20   

Thank you very much

The only strange thing I've noticed about this format : I have a huge square made with dotted line whenever I click on the next image.
How can I avoid that ?

Cheers

plocploc / 2012-06-25 08:02:44   

Oh and one more thing

If I put my text right side it's all thin and in a longue column

I tried to change the width in the format.php but I seems it's not there

1.         $text_width = (isset($this->settings['text_width'])) ? $this->settings['text_width'] : 200;

Does somebody got an idea where I can change this text and put it in a correct box ?

album / 2012-06-25 08:29:06   

hi,
same problems:
- if text on the right, extremely long column
- some problems with captions: first image caption stays on top during the whole slideshow, while the current captions appers rightly below

Vaska A / 2012-06-25 09:36:44   

regarding design: at first i thought, please, nothing overlapping the image content, no arrows, no number display, nothing, ever. give us the option to have this info at top left, like v1, simple, always there. hovering to discover how the slideshow advances is questionable. then i thought, i like that it is interactive with the image, does it just take a little getting used to? then i thought that the interactivity slightly competes with content.

Yep, I agree. But, what I really didn't like about v1 was that the Prev|Next became a design element as well - and it was always in the way. It's still there - it's just not turned on. I've been thinking about how to have it display (bottom of body text?, top?).

The arrows, could be more subtle, too. You need something...

@ploc, you can change the width of the text column by changing the global option for it - Admin > Formats > Slideshow.

plocploc / 2012-06-25 09:46:41   

Thanks for answering
But Changing the global option got no effect on my slideshow.

as you can see :
aymericvergnon.net/index.php/dispositifs/le-dernier-voyage-dalexis-kozlomov/

jersmi0 / 2012-06-25 09:49:57   

oh, i see correct titles/captions at the bottom, too. that's where i want them, not at the top.

Vaska A / 2012-06-25 10:07:18   

I'm not sure why they are at the top - they are supposed to be at the bottom only. This is why I'm soft releasing this before it's part of the system.

Thanks for pointing that out ploc - I'll have a look.

Thanks for looking at this guys - really helping feedback here. I'll be doing more of this - over at our dev blog too.

jersmi0 / 2012-06-25 10:20:00   

You need something...
and that's the way it goes, going up against simplicity.

also wondering about large images and a wee bit of confusion getting far enough to the right for next img button, i.e., new client or my grandmother.

tempted to ask for options, like totally simple and slightly more designy. perhaps that can be for digging in to the code or something.

i don't know, it'll be fine. definitely appreciated as it comes.

Vaska A / 2012-06-25 10:48:26   

What more options would you ask for? Just curious...

The nice thing about the new architecture for exhibit formats is that we can do these things - global options, custom exhibit options, allow users to preview and change options (eventually global options as well). But, we don't want to bury people in options, as well.

bipster / 2012-06-25 10:51:40   

Forget about the Chrome bug that I reported before. The new slideshow is working well on Chrome, too. The browser was picking an old version of the stylesheet stored in the cache somehow.

oscarito / 2012-06-25 10:59:59   

I miss prev/next links too, like in v1. Even with that links, there were some people who sometimes did not realize that there were more pictures to see! If there are no links and the "1/n" indicator... some people will miss some images, I think.

In v1 I used to organize in this order:

Presentation text
prev/next links
title
caption

(BTW: "preview" link does not work in this forum, at least with crhome. Also, if I click "Insert" links -bold, italic...- I go to the top of the page and no code appears.)

:-)

Vaska A / 2012-06-25 11:12:11   

Yeah, I'm just not sure how to add PrevNext back to things. What options should they have?

- before body text
- after body text
- etc

plocploc / 2012-06-25 11:48:19   

May I tell that there's a format I'd like to see ?

It's a slideshow with thumbs (quite small) which allows viewer to be catched directly with a "big" image (avoiding to have to click on a thumbnail to see the image like in the visual index) and also have the possibility to choose what image the viewer wants to see, At the time it will give an indication concerning the number of images left to see and a general point of view

Well, just a suggestion. I have a rather nice website for a few euros so I don't mean to complain or bargain

Please excuse my english : i'm french !

thomasderidder / 2012-06-25 11:53:56   

Prev when you hover on left half of an image/next when you hover on right half?

That way it doesn't disturb an image but at least people will see it when moving the cursor/hover.

thomasderidder / 2012-06-25 11:55:39   

(... and 1/n could popup for a second somewhere (on top of the image/next to it) and then hide automatically)

Vaska A / 2012-06-25 12:24:22   

Prev when you hover on left half of an image/next when you hover on right half?

This is what it's doing now...

I don't understand your second comment.

thomasderidder / 2012-06-25 12:48:27   

Indeed, that's what its doing now. Sorry, I didn't see because the hover doesn't work on the first slide... My second comment is in fact what it's doing now too (the way slide-number hides after a second), also not working on the first slide.

Both hover functions don't show up on after loading the page. When going to the next slide and then going back, hover works correctly. I'm using safari and firefox, both on mac.

This thread has been closed, thank you.