Test Slideshow beta 1.2 with us

lchillida / 2012-10-07 11:44:33   

Thank you Vaska !!!!!!!no problems on mine....

Jeedub / 2012-10-09 09:03:10   

It's working great for me.
Thank you Vaska !

plocploc / 2012-10-09 20:09:38   

Hi
It's working and that's nice thank you

Juste wondering : is there a little white effect in the fade ? It looks like there's something white between the images ? Am I wrong ?

plocploc / 2012-10-09 20:22:57   

It's working unless you want to change something.

Look there's a weird bug : I wanted to change the word "previous" and "next" (my website is all in french so...)

1. I found a "next" occurence in plugin.jxs_slideshow.php. 
  2. $a = "<a id='slide-previous' style='width: {$click_width}px; height: {$bottom_setting}px;' href='#' onclick="next(); return false;">next</a>";

Changed the last "next"... Nothing happened but the slideshow didn't want to work even if i step back

I had to upload again the file... then it works again !

I know I won't try anymore to change something into my old fashion language but I'm curious where can I safely do it ?

Thanks you

Vaska A / 2012-10-09 20:38:19   

The white is the background color - both fade in and fade out at the same moment.

Dalton / 2012-10-10 09:01:59   

plocploc:

in /plugin/format.slideshow.php, find the part called: // the nav. (about 3/5ths down the page, lines 182-183.)
you can play with these lines:

1.             $nav .= '<span id="previous"><a href="#" onclick="previous(); return false;">Previous</a></span> | ';
  2.             $nav .= '<span id="next"><a href="#" onclick="next(); return false;">Next</a></span>';

hope it helps.

plocploc / 2012-10-10 10:13:34   

Thanks Dalton it helps and it works !

JamieG / 2012-10-10 16:04:31   

Is there any way to do a slideshow that automatically plays? I can't figure it out looking at the slideshow plugin code.

Vaska A / 2012-10-10 17:05:29   

As I stated in the original post:

Since this is testing I don't want to hear about feature requests at this time. I actually removed a bunch of new features that will likely find there way into a newer super Slideshow format down the road.

Let's please keep this thread on topic.

linuesa / 2012-10-10 19:21:29   

Vaska said:
"The white is the background color - both fade in and fade out at the same moment."

And if they were in different times perhaps the effect would be smoother?
Is there any easy way to change the time of fade in and out to see what happens?

Cheers!

Vaska A / 2012-10-10 19:56:41   

Play around with the javascript. But, this thread is not about that kind of thing - we haven't even officially released this.

linuesa / 2012-10-11 06:20:17   

Ok, sorry. I thought this was a place to generate ratings of this version Slideshow and comment that we saw in it that could be improved.
Thanks for your work and attention anyway.

Vaska A / 2012-10-11 09:41:53   

No, you are asking for more features. If you want to play with it then do so...post about that in another thread.

I'm closing this thread now - it's spiralling out of context. Slideshow is done - it will be released next week.

Vaska A / 2012-12-08 19:00:19   

indexhibit.org/downloads/…

Opened this thread back up for the next round of testing - what's new?

- added thumbnail options (instead of link navigation)
-- this replaces the Djuve format (version 1)
- css adjustments to deal with things
- new Exhibit Settings options to deal with the new parts

Again, let us know how it works. This thread is not for new feature requests - let's finish this thing quickly now.

Thanks

bipster / 2012-12-09 16:12:00   

The new version returns an error in exhibits containing videos:

1. Warning: getimagesize(/*********************/www/files/gimgs/video/4987041?badge=0" width="500" height="409" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="jpg..jpg) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /*********************/www/ndxzsite/plugin/format.slideshow.php on line 242
  2. Warning: Division by zero in /*********************/www/ndxzsite/plugin/format.slideshow.php on line 246
  3. Warning: imagecreatefromjpeg(/*********************/www/files/gimgs/video/4987041?badge=0" width="500" height="409" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="jpg..jpg) [function.imagecreatefromjpeg]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homez.615/cintesde/www/ndxzstudio/lib/resize.php on line 73
  4. Warning: imagecreatetruecolor() [function.imagecreatetruecolor]: Invalid image dimensions in /*********************/www/ndxzstudio/lib/resize.php on line 83
  5. Warning: imagejpeg(): supplied argument is not a valid Image resource in /*********************/www/ndxzstudio/lib/resize.php on line 96
  6. Warning: imagedestroy(): supplied argument is not a valid Image resource in /*********************/www/ndxzstudio/lib/resize.php on line 106
Vaska A / 2012-12-09 16:30:00   

Did you attach cover art to your videos?

Can you post the url to the page that fails?

bipster / 2012-12-09 17:23:34   

Apparently, the problematic video had a cover attached, but it was broken (the edit window showed a gray thumbnail). I've uploaded the same video again (and the cover is automatically generated) and now the error is gone.

Vaska A / 2012-12-09 18:02:28   

Ooooooh, so it's really your fault!

;)

ps: I need to think about that - there might be an explanation in there somewhere...

eliz / 2012-12-10 05:14:43   

When navigating by thumbnails and placing the navigation below the slideshow, the slideshow image is actually on top of the thumbs and not above them

Vaska A / 2012-12-10 10:47:05   

Do I have it backwards? It wouldn't be the first time... ;)

Vaska A / 2012-12-10 11:22:01   

I'm not seeing that problem - it's working fine for me. Try changing those settings again...

Can anybody else confirm this?

bipster / 2012-12-10 12:29:41   

Works ok on my side

davix / 2012-12-10 13:25:07   

just fine.

andreasj / 2012-12-10 17:16:44   

works really well...but i have the impression that its a tad slow?!
meaning the time from clicking the exhibition link until you see the first picture of the slideshow!!

Vaska A / 2012-12-10 17:22:24   

That particular kind of slowness would be an issue with your internet connection or the size of the image - it's not really an Indexhibit issue as it's quite light on server resources.

johnroshka / 2012-12-10 18:03:39   

When I choose navigation type: links I don't seam to get the links of the image in the adress bar. What should the links type do?

Thanks.

eliz / 2012-12-10 18:10:05   

"Do I have it backwards? It wouldn't be the first time... ;)"

I mean they are laid over the thumbnails, not "above them" but rather straight on top of them. I can screenshot it if you'd like!

Vaska A / 2012-12-10 19:12:06   

@john: Links pertain to the navigation itself - not permalinks.

@eliz: Yes, please do or simply show us. You can't post images to the forum but you can post the url to the image.

Thanks

Vaska A / 2012-12-10 20:38:26   

It's possible, but I need to get this shipped before I even think about more features.

eliz / 2012-12-10 20:40:53   

Ok I can't leave it as is because it's currently live but here is a screen shot:

What's strange is when I click the images to progress, sometimes they overlay and sometimes it looks correct (with the thumbnails at the bottom).

i.imgur.com/…
i.imgur.com/…

Vaska A / 2012-12-10 20:53:09   

Oh my, I see that. But, don't you think that the thumbnail option is wrong for that many images?

I'm not sure what to say except that (because yes, there is a problem) but your page doesn't look nice using Slideshow and thumbnails.

I'm happy to hear how you think it might balance out well...

eliz / 2012-12-10 21:00:42   

I love Visual Index because it lays out nicely but I also like the thumbnails all being the same height in Slideshow via Thumbnails. I also feel that the usability of the new slideshow is better than the permalinks version of visual index - the fading and speed are much nicer - I wish we could mix the two - sometimes I don't want people to see the filename (using permalinks in Visual Index) because it can be sort of ugly.

The only other thing that could be nice is a layout with the thumbnails that slide horizontally (as if you took what you did here but let it scroll as in Horizontal theme) that you can click to load an image above. Sort of a mix between Horizontal and Slideshow with thumbnails.

Thanks for the discussion!

Vaska A / 2012-12-10 21:09:12   

I have done that for somebody in the past but I'm not yet ready to make that an official format.

But, can you use Visual Index - constrain the number of thumbnail width to 15 or so, and then customize the margin/padding around #img-container specific for that format?

Having fixed height thumbs in Visual Index...I already have this working on my computer but I was thinking that I would release that as a new format. It was going to be the replacement for Thickbox...decisions...decisions...

oscarito / 2012-12-11 07:04:38   

After updating to this new slideshow beta all exhibits appeared in "navigation tipe: none"; I had to change this to "permalink mode" (the previous default and my favorite) exhibit by exhibit. It would be great if that choice in the settings remain between updates... I do not know if it is possible.

I see that it is now easier to get the url of an image. Nice, however in this point is still better visual index: in visual index you can get direct links to the image into the exhibit (yoursite.com/exhibit-folder/…) (great!); in slideshow you only can get the url to the image into gimgs folder, outside the exhibit (yoursite.com/files/gimgs/…). If you want to share a link to a single jpg in your web, visual index options are better.

Thanks for the update :-)

Vaska A / 2012-12-11 07:59:16   

Correct. But, people want that fade transition so Slideshow functions differently - hence no permalink. I like Visual Index more myself...

arsondpi / 2012-12-11 08:25:55   

It's just different...

(I'm a Visual Index+Permalinks fan myself as well)

oscarito / 2012-12-11 09:43:30   

Yes, I like visual index too... maybe as much as slideshow.

Hey, little tip: I discovered that you can link to a particular image into a slideshow exhibit: if you have an exhibit like, for example, site.com/greatexhibit and in that exhibit you have an image named, for example, 17_greatimage.jpg, if you put the file name without the number prefix (deleting the 17_ in this case) with the url of the exhibit (resulting site.com/greatexhibit/greatimage.jpg in this case)... it works. Useful sometimes.

Vaska A / 2012-12-11 09:52:56   

That is the submedia layer - it works for ANY image/video/flash.

lemathieu A / 2012-12-11 16:51:48   

Excellent, it works well.
Thumbs up for thumbnails !

andreasj / 2012-12-12 22:53:04   

does this thing preload the images in any way?
i´ve a gallery containing 30images, and yes, some images are fairly large (450kb, but most around 200kb) but from the point i click on the exhibit link it takes about 5 seconds until the slideshow shows up...in my other exhibits using similar file sizes but different formats, everything goes fast and smooth?!

Vaska A / 2012-12-12 23:58:49   

It probably takes 5 seconds to load the first image.

Yes, it tries to preload thing but it's a separate process and doesn't affect the first image.

This thread has been closed, thank you.