2 questions: slideshow with nav thumbnails/collapsible text

fourmac / 2012-12-04 22:29:35   

Hello, I just installed Indexhibit 2 and the Slideshow Beta exhibit. I have a couple questions, expanding on a thread (indexhibit.org/forum/thread/17612/) someone posted earlier.

1. I also like the use of slideshow as here:
matteomusci.com/…

and am wondering how one gets the navigation to appear as thumbnails of the images below the slideshow itself as in the example above?

My second question is.... I also like the use of collapsible/expandable text here:
hratcharbach.com/syfl/over-the-cliff/

It says that this site is doing this using visual index and permalinks. However, I still can't figure out how it makes the text expand and collapse.

Any help in these areas will be much appreciated. Thank you !

arsondpi / 2012-12-05 08:37:46   

1. just wait for the slideshow format! It's coming and it's got lots of goodies that come with it... ;-)

2. Just activate the Indexpand plugin from Admin->Plugins->Enable and then check the Options.

fourmac / 2012-12-05 19:30:25   

Thank you - I'll wait for the slideshow format then... ! it sounds good :>

I activated the Indexpand plugin... This affects the menu area only though, I notice. Is there any way to activate the expand/collapse feature on a block of text that is part of an exhibit?

I realize this may be more complicated than a simple adjustment, but thank you if you are able to suggest anything...!

I appreciate it :)

arsondpi / 2012-12-06 08:30:55   

you can use js to toggle text with a button I guess. Although you could also and attach a script and take advantage of the Indexpand plugin.

lanourrice / 2012-12-06 10:24:16   

hello,

have the same preocupation and exploring the web to find some clues I found this page (thanks to Pauline Curtis for sharing !) which may be useful :
pcurtis.com/…

Next step is find out how to link this js with the block of text you want to expand. Here again P Curtis gives indications you may adapt.

arsondpi / 2012-12-06 11:50:06   

Ok. First you need to do some research: google.gr/

Then you have to customize the formats that you're using, add a toggle button (a switch) and wrap the text in a div.
Hope this gives you a headstart.

fourmac / 2012-12-08 02:27:45   

I think I figured it out... !

In case someone else is interested, here is what I did:

I went & took coding script from here:
papermashup.com/simple-jquery-showhide-div/

on how to make a collapsible div using jquery. I placed the javascript code in the head section of the index.php for the default template.

I placed the code for the css styling in style.css. I adjusted div width, etc.

Then I placed the code for the html for the div - the part where you input your actual text - in the text box of the exhibit edit screen itself.

So far, it is working... :) Thanks for the tips on this thread, everyone!

xikki / 2012-12-08 14:03:42   

hi
used the code fourmac suggested, and it basically works fine, but it messes with the indexpand plugin. if i put the javascript code in my index.php, the indexpand doesn't work anymore. anyone has any suggestions on how to fix that?

fourmac / 2012-12-09 03:01:49   

unfortunately, i am having the same problem as xikki above - just realized.

it seems to also affect the functionality inside other exhibits - i.e. trying to run slideshow or grow on visual index; they won't work correctly. i would welcome any insights on how to adjust this...

thanks !

fourmac / 2012-12-09 03:22:06   

ok - i may've found a solution, but i have no idea why this works...

1. i took the javascript code that i had placed in the index.php file, and i moved it to go BEFORE the script in the head section that says <last:page:meta />. 

for whatever reasons, that made the indexpand plugin and other exhibit features functional again....

i notice that the collapsible div text block works better with some exhibit formats than others... in documenta and horizontal, the text block gets overlapped by the exhibit images. i am guessing there is some way to adjust margin or float to help with this... but it still works nicely for instance with other exhibit formats like slideshow, visual index, and over-and-over.

fourmac / 2012-12-09 03:23:15   

oops - did not mean to format that entire line above as code...

This thread has been closed, thank you.