Thickbox to Visual Index beta

Vaska A / 2012-12-14 17:38:43   

Hi Folks:

If you have a moment and feel like giving a quick test on this that would be really nice. What is it?

This has added a new thumbnail layout option to Visual Index called 'uniform height' that mimics the old Thickbox format. You can choose the setting in Admin > Formats and then in Exhibit Settings you can choose the height of the formats via a slider.

Why did we kill the old Thickbox format? Because it couldn't handle video and other kinds of media and allow the user to click previous and next (at least not when I started making this).

Make a backup copy of your existing Visual Index format before you try this - there are likely some undiscovered bugs lurking here.

indexhibit.org/downloads/…

Simply unzip and replace your old format found at /ndxzsite/plugin/

Please let me know how it goes, how you like it - I'm also curious to know if I should move some of the customizing options around. I'm still not completely sure if this should become a new separate format or if it should remain as part of Visual Index.

Thanks

nnn / 2012-12-15 13:58:03   

Great!

xikki / 2012-12-15 14:19:32   

Hey, great thing, i was eagerly waiting for this option, and it works (almost) perfectly! I tested it a bit, and found a few glitches:

1. thumbnail max size and size of uniform height should be the same in order to make titles work like they should (to appear under the thumbnail.) This is not possible with current max value in the uniform height slider; i had to increase it to 300px in the php file to be able to set the values to the same number.

2. counter works funnily. i don't really know how to explain this, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. when i set it to fixed number (3, for example), the thumbnails appear two in the line. then again, if i set it to 10, they appear six in the row... weird...

3. when using uniform height, thumbnail shape doesn't make any sense. maybe it should be frozen as a option then?

these are just a few things i discovered, but all in all- very nice addition to have! thank you.

Vaska A / 2012-12-15 14:27:02   

1. Ah, titles...I need to look into that.
2. Counter will not work as efficiently with this option...
3. Good point - it's not needed when using uniform.

I'm beginning to think it should become it's own independent format - it would leave some of these things much more clear.

7 / 2012-12-16 23:05:53   

Possibly slightly off topic, but something I always think about the Visual Index overlay option is that I feel it's more intuitive to have the black area around the image clickable to "close" the overlay rather than the x. Maybe just me ;)

Vaska A / 2012-12-17 00:00:01   

There are some tradeoffs there...

lx / 2012-12-17 15:02:13   

I don't think, that this would make sense with the overlaying left and right navigation arrows (which I like by the way). You would close the slideshow just too easily by accident.

What puzzles me is that I cannot see any difference using the slider. In fact, there even doesn't seem to be any difference using the old or the new version… Am I missing something?

Vaska A / 2012-12-17 15:57:54   

Yes, that is a bit confusing. In order for the slider to be functional you need to put yourself in 'uniform height' mode (for display of thumbnails) found in Admin > Formats > Visual Index.

I think it's going to become it's own format...

yves / 2012-12-17 20:54:49   

Very good. Looks like images are hidden in Chrome - seems like a background / colour issue.

Vaska A / 2012-12-18 13:22:54   

I'm not really sure what that means...works well in Chrome for me.

lx / 2012-12-18 18:53:44   

Aah, now I see… ;)
But there is an issue with the page loading performance here. It takes about 10 seconds to load a page with uniform height thumbnails. Even when visiting it a second time and it doesn't seem to make much diffence, if I set thumbnail size to 50 or to 155 px. When not using uniform mode, the page is loading almost instantly, even with 250px thumbnails. Anyone else noticing this?

lx / 2012-12-18 19:01:42   

Maybe I should let you know my system details: OS X 10.6.8, Firefox 16.0.1 (but same issue with Safari 5.1.7).
There seems to be a lot of processing each time the page is loading.

Vaska A / 2012-12-18 19:36:55   

I had not noticed this - I'm not sure why this would happen except that it re-renders the thumbnails (it should only be doing that once after you alter their size).

guillome / 2012-12-23 13:39:45   

Hi Vaska, i tried your new Visual index (this is what i looked for) but the uniform height doesn't have any effect!
guillaumelancestre.com/index.php/black-and-white/portraits/
Maybe i forgot something...bizarre...
I'm on Safari. I test it with firefox, same issue.

lx / 2012-12-23 21:05:07   

Did you completely replace the old version? At first I had both versions running at the same time, I had just renamed the new version — also in the code, but I must have missed something and it was only working, when using just one version at a time.

Vaska A / 2012-12-23 22:43:03   

@guillome: I answered your question earlier in this thread.

guillome / 2012-12-24 13:36:40   

Sorry i didn't see it was in the "grid" menu! :-)

steh / 2012-12-25 22:59:51   

like it a lot with the fixed height.
was trying to find out myself how it might work.
but would have loved to see as well the option that a click on the photo links to the next one like in the old slidethumbcombo...
even if it just works for photos.
that s something important for me!!

Vaska A / 2012-12-25 23:47:50   

Already working on that - it won't be in the next week but it will released (perhaps at least as a beta) in January.

steh / 2013-01-14 15:33:49   

and the counter for uniform height should be working as well. at the moment it doesn t work together though.
looking forward to it for going on with building the site.
and the loading issue i have as well.
thumbs always blinking again or loading again or... it just looks weird.

niconito / 2013-01-17 10:15:17   

Hi Vaska,
thank’s for that new format.

Perhaps I didn’t see or do something but : what I loved with old thickbox format is that it didn’t have any visual index. I mean, arriving on a page visitor sees only the first image of the exhibit and could navigate through all with the “next” link.

How could i do that ?

arsondpi / 2013-01-17 10:30:10   

That is not the Thickbox format.
You're looking for the Slideshow format, which is currently a beta, and you can find it in the Customize section of this forum.
:-)

niconito / 2013-01-17 13:27:52   

Thank’s arsondpi,
you are so absolutly right !
;—)

steh / 2013-01-17 18:14:25   

@lx same problem with page loading the thumbnails. really slow and always loading new with uniform height.

ravivasavan / 2013-01-27 04:35:49   

@Vaska, cheers for redirecting me here. Have just installed it, uniform height doesn't seem to be registering at all (cleared cache and dimgs as well) any ideas?

dontleanonthewalls.com/index.php/week/1/

ravivasavan / 2013-01-27 04:45:24   

Nevermind, answered myself by re-reading the thread. – indexhibit.org/forum/thread/17750/

ncott / 2013-01-28 04:37:58   

So, I've managed to take Vaska's original file and tweaked it to add a fixed width option, and combined that with Masonry. You can see an example of it at nicholascalcott.com/stories/. Resize the window to get the animation effect...

To get this to work, all the other posts in this forum apply (as far as how to get the new Visual Index working), and I hold no responsibility for whether or not this works correctly, so please make a backup of your existing visual index file before trying this and do read the rest of this post...

Go to nicholascalcott.com/… and copy and paste the entire file over your existing (but backed up) format.visual_index.php file. Then go to masonry.desandro.com/ and download the masonry javascript (right-click on the box that says 'Download the jquery.masonry.min.js' and save-as to your computer) and put it in your /ndxzsite/js/ folder. After that, in the options for Visual Index in the Admin panel, there should be a new option under 'grid' titled 'uniform width'. You want that, obvs.

Now, for some reason, for it to work, you must have Indexpand disabled. There is a workaround, which I'll explain in a sec, but I'd love to have someone with a better knowledge of php and javascript to take a look at the file and see if they can fix it. The problem is on line 576, with the Masonry controller I've embedded in the php.

The workaround, for those who'd like both indexpand and fixed width masonry at the same time, is to go into the format.visual_index.php that you've pasted over and take lines 576 to 589 (starting with "//Adding Masonry Controller...") and replace them with:

$OBJ->page->add_jquery('jquery.masonry.controller.js');

Next, create a new file fresh in the "/ndxzsite/js/" folder and name it jquery.masonry.controller.js. In this file, you'll want to add some javascript to control masonry, a la masonry.desandro.com/docs/…. If you're lazy and you want someone to do the work for you, I've made an example file that you can find at nicholascalcott.com/….

A note on the column width: This should be what you've set as the 'uniform width' in the Exhibit Options plus what you've set as the 'right margin' in the Format Options in the Admin panel (which is why it would be better for this to work through the php instead of an external controller file - this would then be generalizable site wide).

Now, I've only tried this with the limited options I have set on my site, so it's possible there are other bugs that I'm not aware of. If anyone notices them, let me (us, whatever) know and I'll try and fix them, to my limited ability...

ncott / 2013-01-28 05:50:21   

Actually, I'm getting crazy problems with the 'Overlay' and 'Grow' options. I'll see if I can fix that.

Just, FYI, the conditions where it's working for me (and for which I created it) is for a Section exhibit, where it's working great. I'll see what I can do about the rest tomorrow...

ravivasavan / 2013-01-28 11:14:04   

Overlay is working just fine with that format. Only niggle I have with this is that the thumbs are not generated too well (it is still being rendered at specific px height/width as set the maximum in the options)

Have not tested Grow.

ncott / 2013-01-28 20:27:49   

Yeah, you're right - Overlay is working... I had an unrelated css problem.

Grow, however, is not working- it's going to take me too long to figure out why when I don't need it, so I'll leave that to someone else...

adeline / 2013-01-30 13:57:34   

thank you for all the details on how to get the visual index , Ncott it works really great for me!
only one thing : when I publish my video section the homepage says "internal error" , for now I unactivated it, but is it only for me that it does not work with videos?
thank you

ncott / 2013-01-30 14:53:56   

Yeah, it's totally possible that there's an error handling videos - I was sort of muddling my way through the code. I posted it here, though, not as a finished product, but to put the work I'd done out there and to allow others to polish it...

katjat / 2013-02-15 14:35:25   

yes the images are actually hidden in chrome. it simply dont works with chrome... it works with firefox and explorer...

ncott / 2013-02-15 15:23:45   

I'm using chrome and have no problem with image display...

katjat / 2013-02-15 15:28:49   

katjatoennissen.de in /works... it definitely doesnt work... anybody knows what could be the ptoblem?

arsondpi / 2013-02-15 18:16:08   

Have you tried adjusting image margins etc from the Visual Index options?

katjat / 2013-02-15 18:41:06   

no i havent, which values should i adjust? as i said it works in firefox, only have a problem with chrome, simply the whole screen turns dark..

katjat / 2013-02-23 18:12:24   

It definitely doesnt work in chrome.... maybe in safari too-i dont have it. it works with firefox and internet explorer. anyone knows how to fix the problem?

katjat / 2013-02-23 18:19:27   

p.s. the website: katjatoennissen.de

katjat / 2013-02-24 18:33:18   

hello

katjat / 2013-03-02 16:30:44   

is anybody here to answer my question? or am i the only one having the problem with overlay...

katjat / 2013-03-02 17:28:12   

is anybody here to answer my question? or am i the only one having the problem with overlay...

katjat / 2013-03-02 17:28:27   

arsondpi / 2013-03-03 08:25:24   

Hello katjat,

maybe you should check out yves post ealier on this thread.
Also check is this is helpful:
indexhibit.org/forum/thread/16891/

* Don't forget that this is still a plugin under development *

katjat / 2013-03-04 00:13:31   

thank you very much! it works :)

sebastiano / 2013-03-26 15:04:53   

hi i've just a problem, do not appear thumbnails of the latest uploaded images giving this error:

Warning: getimagesize(/home/mhd-01/sbtphotographer.eu/htdocs/files/gimgs/…) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mhd-01/sbtphotographer.eu/htdocs/ndxzsite/plugin/… on line 569

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mhd-01/sbtphotographer.eu/htdocs/ndxzsite/plugin/…) in /home/mhd-01/sbtphotographer.eu/htdocs/… on line 166

you can see here:
sbtphotographer.eu/index.php/projects/faces/

thanks in any case

sebastiano / 2013-03-29 11:53:45   

I solved reupload the ndxzstudio folder

Vaska A / 2013-03-29 12:07:19   

I'm closing this thread because it's become old and really unfocused.

This thread has been closed, thank you.