three miscellaneous questions

dotyp / 2013-03-03 00:31:28   

Hi everyone,

I've been working on my new site (patrickdoty.com) by modifying the Columner theme and am close to what I want, but have a few remaining questions...

a) The "About" section is actually an exhibition (a section section?) and I'm wondering how to make it bold to match the other regular sections (without making all of the other exhibition titles bold).

b) How do I make it so that all of the stuff on my website is centered such that the margins change depending on a viewer's particular screen dimensions? The site is centered on my laptop, but when I view it on other monitors, the centering vanishes since I positioned everything using fixed margins.

c) The slideshow plugin is not working (see the Swimming Holes section) (nothing happens when clicking next or previous even though there are three images in the exhibit) and I can't figure out why. I made sure that /ndxzsite/plugin/ajax.php file has permissions of 644.

Thank you!

arsondpi / 2013-03-03 08:45:51   

a) you can either move the content of About in the section exhibit that About belongs to (phew - I hope this made sense...) so about is a section exhibit.
or you simply use firebug and find the right css selector (alternatively check the source code of your page). In this case it's #exhibit_12 { font-weight:bold; }

b) You need to "wrap" your #index and #exhibit in a #wrapper div with an exact width in pixels and then use css to center this div in the browser window.
You obviously need coding skills to do this but I guess it's not as hard, especially if you do some research on the web.

dotyp / 2013-03-03 16:31:35   

Thanks! I inserted #exhibit_12 { font-weight:bold; } into style.css and it worked perfectly!

For (b), I've been doing some searching and came across this brief tutorial: help.veign.com/… ... which seems to be in line with your suggestion. I'm still confused, though... do I insert

--all your content--

into the index.php file? where?
And then do I put
body {
    margin:20px 0px;
    padding:0px;}

#container {
    width:600px;
    margin:0px auto;
    padding:10px;
    border:2px solid #5a9301;
    background-color:#eee;}
into style.css near the top where there is already a "body" section?

Thanks again.

dotyp / 2013-03-03 16:33:44   
some of the text didn't come through... hopefully this works....
/*

--all your content--

*/
dotyp / 2013-03-03 16:34:49   

ugh, well the link I posted above has the code ...

Vaska A / 2013-03-03 17:19:03   

It's possible your /ndxzsite/plugin/ajax.php file has bad permissions or is not fully uploaded. Reupload that file, set it to 0644 and see how it goes.

dotyp / 2013-03-03 17:36:42   

Okay I reuploaded /ndxzsite/plugin/ajax.php through FileZilla, overwriting the old file. The permissions are set at 644, but my slideshow is still not working....

Vaska A / 2013-03-03 17:52:16   

It's a permissions issue somewhere, make sure all the files in /ndxzsite/plugin/ are 644.

We've seen this before...exactly like this...

dotyp / 2013-03-03 18:46:07   

Alright I made sure all the files in ndxzsite/plugin had permissions 644 and they did. I changed all of their permissions to 644 just to make sure. Still nothing, so I reuploaded and overwrote all of the files in that plugin folder and made sure all of the files were 644, but still nothing. I added a new slideshow for another exhibit just to see if that would do anything, but that one doesn't work either. What else might be causing a permissions issue?

Vaska A / 2013-03-03 19:12:18   

Does visual index grow/expand work on your site?
Do your statistics work?

dotyp / 2013-03-03 19:54:51   

No, I don't think so... I changed one of the exhibits from Slideshow format to Visual Index: patrickdoty.com/index.php/project/land-of-sky-blue-waters/ ... the images are all there as thumbnails but when you click on one, a loading icon appears and doesn't go away / the image doesn't grow/expand. I already resized the files so they are not that large (84kb-104kb). Regarding the statistics, on the statistics tab of my Admin page, nothing appears under Total Page Visits and the "Average uniques per month" is 0.0. I've been refreshing my page constantly and looking at from another computer as well, so something should be there, right? I also enabled the statistics plugin (is that what you meant?), refreshed the pages on both computers, and still nothing showed up under the statistics tab.

Vaska A / 2013-03-03 20:13:07   

Yes, something is not right - somewhere in your file structure something is messed up (permissions or not fully uploaded). Try reuploading then /ndxzstudio/ and maybe it will help.

If not, I'll take a look tomorrow...

dotyp / 2013-03-03 20:24:49   

I just reuploaded the folder /ndxzstudio/ and nothing has changed, i.e. the slideshow still doesn't work and the grow/expand feature hangs indefinitely. Thanks for your help, Vaska. Let me know what else you would like me to try or do.

Vaska A / 2013-03-03 20:40:49   

Send me your ftp and indexhibit login info and I'll have a look when I get a chance tomorrow.

contact at indexhibit dot org

dotyp / 2013-03-03 20:48:05   

Awesome, thanks a ton. What do you mean by send you my ftp info (sorry, website building is brand new to me as of a few days ago) ... do you want my Host Gator control panel login info?

Vaska A / 2013-03-03 20:59:07   

They set you up with an FTP login - that's what I want from them. And, the login you use for your Indexhibit cms.

You're doing fine. Knowing a few things will take you very far down the road...

dotyp / 2013-03-03 21:18:33   

Got it. I just sent you an email. I resent the message after getting an automatic reply to my first email, so hopefully it went through... let me know if it didn't!

dotyp / 2013-03-06 01:41:05   

Vaska, have you had a chance to look at the site? Thanks!

Vaska A / 2013-03-06 02:34:03   

I'll do it right now...have so many things to do...

Vaska A / 2013-03-06 02:41:18   

Fixed. You had 744 permissions on your /ndxzsite/ folder...should be 755 (as I mentioned above).

This thread has been closed, thank you.