Slideshow dynamic scale and preloading…

elfabio / 2013-04-18 11:01:32   

Hi, someone there?

im working on a website using cms 2.0 with slideshow 1.2 beta:

gbayerl.com/…

and my problem is – I want to scale the slide show images dynamically inside the img-container div depend on the window height/width. and I want to keep the relation of the image and it always should fit in the layout without scrolling. the width is no problem but the height… i find some good solutions on the web for example this:

boxlight.github.io/bl-jquery-image-center/

it scales the image inside its parent container – sounds like a good solution to appear the images as large as possible or small for low resolution. but i don´t get implement this script inside the slideshow plugin…
i only found one post in the forum about this (indexhibit.org/forum/thread/13699/) not very helpful.

maybe someone try this already befor and found an easy way… ? any proposals?

Another problem is the preloading at the moment it loads all pictures of the hole slide show in reverse order? how can i change this to load only the first image or first 3 images then shows the slideshow and load the rest in background.
the main problem is when you click on the slideshow first – noting happens till it loads all images… i try to cover that by making an overlay with loading gif (till the hole content is loaded). work fine but not by the slideshow it always loads the images and no feedback after clicking. so here i force the loading overlay by click on the thumb (not very elegantly) but it works. maybe theres a better way to do this…?

thanks in advance

arsondpi / 2013-04-18 12:25:01   

Hello - to do all this you need coding skills. And the Slideshow format is still a beta.
Vaska is working on many things at the moment so it's hard to tell what the official version will be like. Integrating more features is not always the aim - sometimes keeping things simple and around the actual content is the way to go.

elfabio / 2013-04-18 13:03:48   

@arsondpi Hi i can do the jquery code standalone it is working what i want to do but to integrate it into the plugin and the hole indexhibit php code is hard… you´re right keep it simple is the best way! but i don´t want it as a feature in the backend just for the slideshow plugin in this case. and dynamic scalable images becoming more important with all the mobile devices or high screen resolution. and the preloading thing should be a must have feature not a nice to have… my intention was just to ask maybe someone tried something similar already. but thanks for the quick response!

@vask i am using a different account the guy for that the website is had bought a licence. I will ask for the login account and post with the right account…

Vaska A / 2013-04-18 13:09:14   

I looked it up - it's on his account. We do want to know these things for the obvious reasons...it's better for you...

Vaska A / 2013-04-18 13:13:06   

I've been having a tough time with preloading. I had a super simple solution that ultimately did not work. I try to keep things simple but preloading, done properly, is going to be more work.

Why are you having such a hard time with scaling? It seems you have it right already. When the image is too tall you want it centered? Is the real problem there the #img-container? Can you set a negative value on it's placement in situations like that? This is how I've done it in the past with background images (which is similar in this context, I believe).

GeeIzMe / 2013-04-18 13:54:55   

Hi again no problem now i have the right login!

Is there no chance to limited the preloading and say just load the first 3 images?
Or fire the preloading later so that it starts after clicking the thumb so you get a feedback.

Yes i want to center it vertical and scale the height down when its too high (for example by the portrait size images: gbayerl.com/v2/index.php/travel/jordan-people/ ). that you always can read the img title and don´t need to scroll. i can show you later how far i get it and where it fail… the main problem is to keep the right ratio!

GeeIzMe / 2013-04-22 13:34:32   

sorry does none want to talk with me anymore?

get the dynamic scale functioned – almost… did a lot of changes in the plugin and now i got this ugly bug that the picture loads befor it gets scaled right. and it pops out for a second. and mozialla didn´t work not at all. maybe someone has a clue how to fix this?

heres the link to the slideshow:
gbayerl.com/singles/people/

arsondpi / 2013-04-22 15:22:58   

lol - it's not that no one wants to talk to you.
It's the fact that what you're after is a totally custom thing... You can share your work here but it doesn't mean that we can help. There's many ways in doing things anyhow...

GeeIzMe / 2013-04-22 16:07:05   

hmm not really funny… i thought the topic here is customize!

the slideshow preloading problem… isn't a totally custom thing?
like vaska he´s still working on it.

more a major bug i saw in a lot of indexhibit pages that the images are first loading and juming down vertical befor the slideshow starts. but thanks anyhow :)

Vaska A / 2013-04-22 17:07:38   

What's going on here?

GeeIzMe / 2013-04-22 17:44:21   

oh type error i just want to mentioned that you still working on the preloading functions for the slideshow?! i know slideshow is in beta state… i made a lot of changes on the plugin and the dynamic scale seems to work on chrome and safari. but now i got the old bug that the image jumps down first. is this an css thing or comes it through the script?

look:

gbayerl.com/…

or

gbayerl.com/singles/architecture/

Vaska A / 2013-04-22 18:02:14   

I don't know what the problem would be - what did you change?

normally, that means there is either some broken html or javascript is now firing very slowly. best to use Firebug and vadlidate your page to find the problem area.

This thread has been closed, thank you.