mixing formats

hewieretep / 2013-04-28 19:02:14   

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I can edit the 'visual_index.php' format so that my text lines up to the left hand side of my images as it does when you use the horizontal format.

I have found this thread that explains how to do it when editing the 'over and over' format and have managed to do it successfully for that, but so far haven't figured out how to apply it to the visual index format.

Is it possible to do? Is it just a case of copying and pasting arsondpi's code in the right place? Please can someone let me know where that is?

Cheers

hewieretep / 2013-04-28 19:03:02   

ooops

the link to the other thread is indexhibit.org/forum/thread/18150/

arsondpi / 2013-04-28 21:27:56   

I'm not sure I understand - what's your url address?

hewieretep / 2013-04-28 22:48:17   

I am using the columner theme and want to edit the visual index format so that I have text on the left hand side, with my images level on the right hand side. If you use the horizontal theme it works exactly how I like.

I managed to change the over and over format using your coding from the previous thread I mentioned but was wondering whether it was possible to get the same effect if I edit the visual index using your same code?

over&over - mchewitt.com/index.php/furniture/spiral-coffee-table/
horizontal - mchewitt.com/index.php/kitchens/elm/
visual index - I don't know what exactly i need to edit to get similar postioned text?

Cheers

arsondpi / 2013-04-29 06:52:50   

The text box content is not wrapped in a div as far as I remember.
Thus you -somehow- need to wrap it in a div and give it a float:left; attribute in order to do what you're after.

hewieretep / 2013-04-29 10:36:06   

Thanks for your reply. Is there any chance that you old give me some pointers in the right direction as you did with the over&over format?

Do I just need to edit the visual_index.php file? Can I use the same code that was used before in the previous thread or do I need to change it.

If its not too complicated I would appreciate any help that I can get.

arsondpi / 2013-04-29 11:55:56   

Ideally you'd need to edit the format.
Nevertheless you can click the P button above the text area box.
This disables processing HTML thus you can type code directly to your text box.
For example:

1. <div id='wrap'>
  2. <h2>my text content here</h2>
  3. <p>some text here</p>
  4.  <p>some more text here</p>
  5. </div>

then in the css part of the Visual Index format add

1. #wrap { float: left;  width: 20%; }
  2. #img-container { margin-left: 20%; }

In the example above I'm using percentages - of course you can change these to your liking.

hewieretep / 2013-04-29 12:21:40   

Perfect, that's achieved what I was after. I presume that now it is just a case of experimenting with different values to get the exact layout that I'm after?

Thank you very much arsondpi for your help, I knew that it was probably quite simple but didn't know where to start!

arsondpi / 2013-04-29 17:23:34   

:-P Ask and though shall receive!

* yes - experimenting is what is all about.

This thread has been closed, thank you.