Problems using certain symbols

MaxColson / 2013-07-23 09:38:02   

Hello there,

Firstly, thanks for updating Indexhibit - it looks really nice.

I'm having problems using the '↑ ↓ → ←' symbols on my site. If I put them anywhere they are converted into questions marks, e.g. '?'

To try and resolve this I've checked over the main threads about this issue: after reading the following thread I changed my language encoding to UTF-8 but that didn't resolve the issue (indexhibit.org/forum/thread/6052/). I then tried to write the plugin which was suggested at the bottom of the thread but that hasn't solved it either (also when I try and paste the plugin coding into DreamWeaver it also says that there is a syntax issue on the second line):

Basically I'd really like to be able to use these symbols as they were my logo on a previous site; it's really important for my branding that I keep this continuity. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Max

PS: I am a complete novice at coding!

MaxColson / 2013-07-23 09:38:30   

oh and PS: my website is maxcolson.com

arsondpi / 2013-07-23 11:39:57   

Hello!

That's a Legacy version thread...
I guess the plugin needs updating.
The collation needs to be unicode general ci.

Nevertheless you tried encoding these characters?
↑ ↓ → ← is ↑ ↓ → ←

MaxColson / 2013-07-23 12:01:46   

Hello there,

thanks for getting back to me so quickly. When you say 'unicode general ci' do you mean 'utf8_general_ci' or 'utf8_unicode_ci'? Sorry for the dummy question but I can't find anything that exactly matches what you suggest as the right collation.

Additionally, when you say encoding what process is that; is it editing css.style?

I am a real beginner at this so please point me to things I can read up on if possible.

All best,

Max

arsondpi / 2013-07-23 14:25:40   

utf8_general_ci

Search the web for "encoding html characters"
You can use any kind of character encoded.
Try my example above in a text area box. See if it works.

Last but not least you can use an image with an arrow instead of a character.

MaxColson / 2013-07-24 09:44:09   

Hello,

Thanks for that Arsondpi. It now works after writing exactly what you wrote into the text box :)

I've got a couple of other related questions. On my site I'd like the arrows to all be on the one line below my website title 'Max Colson Commercial' (here's my site for reference MaxColsonCommercial.com). What do I need to alter in the CSS to do this? Also If I wanted to lengthen the website title so I could have the following what would I need to change in the CSS do this?

Max Colson
Commercial Photography
↑ ↓ → ←

Many thanks!

arsondpi / 2013-07-24 11:26:41   

Can you start a new thread as the initial question... ?

This thread has been closed, thank you.