Responsive Design for Mobile ?

kodcl20 / 2013-11-25 11:51:59   

I am brand new to Indexhibit and would like to know :
What's the best way to make Indexhibit Mobile Friendly ?

Cheers! N

kodcl20 / 2013-11-25 12:02:24   

Mobile Friendly meaning iPhone and Android...

Vaska A / 2013-11-25 12:07:48   

The current template is not great on mobile...maybe I can get some feedback from people?

What's better...

1. Indexhibit templates and formats become responsive
2. Indexhibit creates a new kind of layer specifically for mobile

The two are not the same. 1, would leave users to try to customize both mobile and web versions at the same time. These templates would get somewhat complicated.

2, would allow users to simply use a default mobile friendly version or try to customize it separately from the web version.

Personally, I think mobile needs a new template because some things, like Visual Index, don't work very well on a phone. I like option 2...

What do you think?

plocploc / 2013-11-25 12:43:59   

Hello

Right now I'm trying to modify my indexhibit to fit with the Ipad (sorry not exactly the mobile you thought about)

Because I have very little skills (i'm trying to fix an overlay bug : indexhibit.org/forum/thread/20204/ ;-)) I would appreciate a simple friendly version for IOS

Thanks

antonrodriguez / 2013-11-25 12:45:07   

I personally prefer option 1, but either would be great for indexhibit.

Vaska A / 2013-11-25 12:47:12   

anton, how good are you with html/css/javascript? the templates will become much more complicated than they are now - this worries me quite alot.

basically, we could have both options existing as well. i think two is a very quick way to deal with things. option 1 will take considerable time in some instances to achieve well.

@ploc: you don't need to advertise your thread this way. simply bump it or just wait a little bit - we'll respond.

arsondpi / 2013-11-25 13:18:45   

My vote goes to the second option.

After all: " Indexhibits aim is to establish and promote an archetypal format for the web, a straightforward and effective way to display content, combining good functionality and usability to foreground content over complicated website design. The more websites that use this structure, the more archetypal / invisible the structure becomes, and the more emphasis is placed on content."

antonrodriguez / 2013-11-25 14:20:48   

I'm not a developer by any means but I am comfortable enough editing and writing css/html.

Two options would be great, but then again the more I think about it maybe just having a mobile theme is best. I mostly think of responsive working best when changing from a computer → tablet → phone, but with the resolution of tablets now matching computers it seems more logical to just have a mobile theme.

Is there any plans to incorporate touch control into any of the existing formats?

Vaska A / 2013-11-25 14:44:49   

What kind of touch control? Anything specific you would like to see?

antonrodriguez / 2013-11-25 19:43:20   

The functions of this wordpress theme is nice, can be swiped using touch screen, also using mouse, but has click option to.

Edited by Vaska: link not needed...

Vaska A / 2013-11-25 20:04:48   

I don't look at those things - I don't copy.

If you want to suggest things that's fine - but I won't be following links.

antonrodriguez / 2013-11-26 14:42:40   

Hi Vaska, I'm not saying to copy,sorry. You asked what type of touch so I was showing an example,

What I was trying to show was having the ability to swipe through the images using touch, ie swiping action

Vaska A / 2013-11-26 14:52:04   

Cool, making a note of that.

Fluorescein / 2013-11-27 02:29:12   

Hi Vaska & arsondpi,
First as always, thanks for all your hard work that goes into indexhibit.

My vote goes to the second option, as I think it will by far easier and simpler to create mobile friendly sites then option 1. Having swipe abilities, while cool, I personally think are secondary concern.s

Quintclyde / 2013-12-05 14:54:33   

Second option! Can not wait to run my site on a iphone or ipad! (:

kactapuss / 2014-02-04 04:03:23   

Hi Vaska and arsondpi,

I am in favor of any solution which allows indexhibit to function usably on mobile devices as quickly as possible. I would like to promote my products {simple-basic (dot) com} but with many people checking their email on their phones I don't feel comfortable sending a site that will not zoom into any images on iOS 7.

I may not have enough knowledge to understand the root of the problem, but is there a simple setting to make the site zoom as a whole rather than just zoom into the navigation?

Option 1 - It seems responsive design is a more comprehensive solution and with the multitude of new media types and screen sizes it will probably be the way of the future. I would like indexhibit to be part of that future so I think this is a good solution. I would personally be ok with customizability becoming a bit more complex because I prefer a simple site that does not distract from the content and do not intend to customize much. I went with indexhibit for its sparse design and ease of updating and maintainability, not ease of customizability.

Option 2 - This seems like it will be easier and quicker to implement. If that's true I totally support this option. If I can't come up with a temporary solution (I will be exploring ideas from indexhibit.org/forum/thread/16825/) I'm not sure how long my patience will last before I start trying other solutions.

Thank you for your hard work! Looking forward to a solution.

bfonville / 2014-02-06 06:14:46   

option 2, A simple default mobile layout would be a godsend, even if it sent all exhibit types to the same generic/default mobile layout. I've moved to setting my exhibits to 'over and over' blog style because it's the only choice that looks immediately usable on mobile devices. Thanks so much for all the work put into Indexhibit

Vaska A / 2014-02-06 11:11:25   

The mobile option is going to be for v2 only. We update Indexhibit for many reasons and it is the way forward. I'm going to close this thread because it has had much input (we don't leave threads open for two long anymore so they don't become confusing). Thanks for the input...

This thread has been closed, thank you.