please make it simple.

simonwaldron / 2008-10-27 23:03:02   

Hello, i'm new to indexhibit, and yes i'm a dumbass too. but i really think you could be dare i say it alittle bit clearer in your helpful hints. I've uploaded the file, changed the permissions, gone through the first confirmation but now i'm at the bit that asks for:
exhibition name, database server, database name, Database Username and Database Password. all the forum posts are cryptic. Maybe someone who has the neccesarry geekiness could kindly set it down in language a 2 year old might understand abit like this:
exhibition name? this isn't really important but...
database server? this is important and refers to the name of ..... and it usually begins like this and ends like this. here is an example of a made up one.

and so on and so forth. ah if only....

please geeks. make it so.

simonwaldron / 2008-10-27 23:05:42   

Is this a bit like geek pride. like a geek initiation where only the dedicated mind who toils and goes through much pain will prevail and make it to the bountiful shores of indexhibit websites...if so i think that sucks!

iwakami / 2008-10-28 00:02:08   

"Is this a bit like geek pride. like a geek initiation where only the dedicated mind who toils and goes through much pain will prevail and make it to the bountiful shores of indexhibit websites"

that's it! that's the answer you've been looking for! doesn't seem cryptic to me :D
see, this is the way to go to have a a new website in a cheap fashion.

first thing you need is a domain, like: www.hotpants.com or www.simonwaldron.org. use google to find whomever sells them.

then you need a webserver. this represents a online hard drive where you put geeky things like your website! webservers consists on a hard drive space + websiting technology. webservers also sells domains. make sure your webserver has the minimum requirements stated at the "how to install" section of this website.

only then, with these two and after you get familiar with the webserver interface, you can start thinking about a database and the website instalation.

see ya soon :D

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-10-28 02:04:00   

Simon,

I'm sorry you feel like a "dumbass" but what we're trying to do here (at least I think I am) is provide a way to find the answer(s) to your problems. We didn't decide the words used to describe web technologies/tools, other geeks have for us. We're just trying to feed you the correct word and point you in the direction you can find answers.

We can't offer support and solution to all the problems you might encounter while making a website and also support indexhibit. This forum has only a handful of people contributing answers...

If you do not want to learn about those things -and you are totally right that it is often cryptic- you should look for a hosted solution where you do not have to install any software yourself and can focus on your content only. For now indexhbit doesn't have a hosted service so you might need to look for other technologies.

Good luck with your project and, if you stick around, like Iwakami said: See ya soon ;)

blame / 2008-10-28 02:35:51   

Exhibition Name: The name of your website. You can change this later (in Settings not Preferences) if you need, so it's not that important.

Database Server: Depends on your server, but mine was just 'localhost' but sometimes it's "mysql.your-domain-name-here.org" or something along those lines. If you don't know — ask your host.

Database Name This is important that you set this up before trying to install Indexhibit. It all depends on your host, but mine uses CPanel to get to a screen called "MySQL Databases." You pick a name (like, say, ndx) and make a new database. Sometimes it'll change the name to something like usrnme1_ndx where usrnme1 is what your specific login is. That's sometimes the case when you are doing shared hosting, but not always. If this isn't somewhere you can find when you log into some sort of control panel (hint: you can't do this from your FTP) — ask your host. You're paying them, they can show you were to make a database. If you don't have databases, you can't install Indexhibit, and you should find a more modern host.

Database Username/Password: This is also important that you set this up before you install. The same screen (again, from my host; yours may be different) you need to add a new user to the database you just made. Mine likes to add the usrname1_ we talked about, but not always. For me it was a two-step process.

1) Create the user and set a password for it.
2) Add that newly-created user to the usrnme1_ndx database.

Those are the values you need. Once you get inside, things get a little less cryptic.

But seriously, this forum is a wealth of information. Just go back and read pages of these; most of the issues you would ever have have probably been touched on by someone. It's not about geek pride; it's about using the DIY method. You could just buy a hosted solution or use like a Fantastico script to get Wordpress up in a jiff. But what makes Indexhibit cool is that you have to get a little messy with it to make it work and feel just how you like. It's fun, trying at times, but fun.

Hang in there, bro.

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-10-28 02:39:10   

Thanks blame for the comprehensive explanation. (Maybe this will go in the Usefull Threads up there.)

simonwaldron / 2008-10-28 18:08:09   

Firstly, I must apologise I was venting shear anger after trying a million and one permutations on a very, very similar theme but nothing worked. After all of your help (thanks so much) i am through that hurdle. hooorah.

iwakami- i am definatly a dumbass but please even we have standards i now that we need webservers and domain names...please tut tut

Blame- thanks i'm working on the second username and password bit now...it's slow work but i'm committed now to the white clean shores on the distant horizon known as indexhibit.

Vaska A / 2008-10-28 18:10:13   

Wait until you see the next horizon...hehehe...

iwakami / 2008-10-28 18:38:45   

hum...

iwakami / 2008-10-28 18:40:52   

you're welcome >:(
you said it: "i am definetly a dumbass". so i went explainig from the beginning. i was trying to help, ok? i was not, and never be, in the mood for insulting.

what?! you already knew that?! ok, then, if you knew that, congrats! you are categorized as a NOT-dumbass.
see?! it's simple, you're our friend now! =D

p.s. you are really welcome... to make it clearer
p.s.2 show us your website

simonwaldron / 2008-10-28 19:07:05   

ok- so i'm stuck again on the indexhibit login and password screen after exhibition name, etc, etc bit? i can't put in my login for indexhibit because the login is an email address and longer then 6-12 charactors! Is this related to indexhibit or my server? if it's indexhibit can i retrieve the info from somewhere?

iwakami / 2008-10-28 19:11:02   

the screen where you are stuck, says the login/password, which is, respectively, index1 'n exhibit (as far as i remember it). check it in that screen.

simonwaldron / 2008-10-28 19:11:13   

Vaska - please feel free to post this thread as the step by step for dumbasses.

iwakami- you're forgiven, i guess there is in fact a class far dumber than me. unlikely but plausible.

simonwaldron / 2008-10-28 19:28:57   

iwakami- didn't understand a word of that, mate?

where's blame or vaska to the rescue?

LeslieOA / 2008-10-28 19:37:29   

I make a half decent substitute...

What iwakami said was Indexhibit's default username and password are: -

Username: - index1
Password: - exhibit

Visit http://www.whereyouinstalledindexhibit.co.uk/ndxz-studio/ to login.

Good luck!

simonwaldron / 2008-10-28 19:46:22   

LeslieOA is a genius.

LeslieOA / 2008-10-28 19:55:47   

LeslieOA is but a 'regurgitator' of prior information and fact... with a self serving sense of humour...
Remember to change your password though...
;-D

simonwaldron / 2008-10-28 20:29:16   

ok i'm in and have put up some tests just to get to grips with publishing, but when i go online to my site there is still just a holding page from my server. it says delete the index.htm file which i have done but it's still there?is there something else i should do?

LeslieOA / 2008-10-28 20:32:56   

URL? If you've deleted the index.htm/index.html file, then try Shift-F5 (hard browser refresh) and clearing your cache.

Contact your ISP if the problem persists.

iwakami / 2008-10-28 20:51:03   

i need more english classes...

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-10-29 02:28:53   

iwakami - your English is the best! and I'll boot kick anyone who says the contrary!

Vaska - You're just a tease... *see boot kick above

simon - You too get a boot kick for venting in public!
*Glad you sticked around and did not let your fear of all-that-is-geeky overcome you ;)

Eloisa A / 2008-10-29 08:49:33   

GEEK PRIDE REPRESENT

LeslieOA / 2008-11-03 18:59:26   

@Eloisa: -

re%... re% well...

johannita / 2010-07-05 03:33:52   

thank you so much, thank you so fucking much

albertovb / 2010-09-12 06:51:59   

New to this also.

Can't figure out why my server info just doesn't work. I'm trying to enter the info for a subdomain within my server and there is no way to make it work. Any insights?

I'm sorry but this is not simple at all. I have years of using HTML and FTP, I downloaded indexhibit thinking that it was a step further but I have not been able to go further than the Database Server Info page.

So I think I will come back to Dreamweaver and continue using it until a real simple way of making websites comes by. Even Google Blogger is simpler than this.

arsondpi / 2010-09-12 09:22:59   

Great, do as you please. In the meantime you could check out the installation for dummies link, the Useful threads post and -last but not least- the forum rules!

:-)

This thread has been closed, thank you.