Vimeo upload not working

nightingale / 2014-04-18 20:52:21   

I built this website year or so ago (juliariddiough.com), I have vimeo clips embedded on some pages - all works fine.

But now I am trying to upload/ embed a new video on a new page (juliariddiough.com/works/…). I am using the vimeo import button but after pasting the url and hitting submit button the import/ upload box displays the home page for the website and no video is uploaded. Here is a screen grab of what happens: abrooksart.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/…

I tried adding the code manually for the vimeo clip, but the page will not save changes if I do that.

I need to get this page (with video) live as soon as possible.

Many thanks
Sam

Vaska A / 2014-04-18 23:16:02   

This sounds like a mod_security issue. Ask your host if they art catching anything in their logs and to adjust accordingly...

nightingale / 2014-04-22 20:26:25   

Thanks Vaska, but the host has said nothing is showing up as a problem. See there detailed response bellow, which highlights some concerns with PHP. What else can you suggest I need to be able to embed the video on the page.

Response from MacHighway:
While I do see appearances of juliariddiough.com in the modsec log, it doesn't appear to be violating any particular modsec rules. We've had another customer report this with indexhibit and, unfortunately, after the customer going back and forth between us and indexhibit, there was never any resolution. What I can say is that indexhibit hasn't been updated in nearly 2 years, in which time version of PHP have changed. So, it may be something where the PHP isn't properly built for PHP 5.4. The other concern that I hope you share is that this also means that there haven't been any security updates to this CMS, which is cause for concern given the increased hacking attempts that have occurred over the last several years and which appear to have aggressively escalated in the last several months.

I wish I had a better answer, but unfortunately, there's no clear evidence as to why this isn't working - but my first guess is that it's not friendly in a PHP 5.4 environment.

Vaska A / 2014-04-23 09:02:20   

Ah, that's a helpful response from them...

I don't know. Except, it works on other PHP 5.4's just fine. I love a webhost who insinuates that we are a problem on the internet without any clue about what we've been doing.

I guess it's simply not going to work on their stuff.

Vaska A / 2014-04-23 16:52:59   

If you can get me a name and an email address at that host I'll try to work with them to find the problem. Please send it to me...

support at indexhibit dot org

The last time I tried to do this the host said it was Indexhibit and I gave up. Of course, not much later the problem magically solved itself...meaning the host realized...

nightingale / 2014-04-23 22:30:50   

Hi Vaska
Yes their response is frustrating. Will send you the host details separately.
I appreciate you following it up.
Best
Sam

Vaska A / 2014-04-24 08:22:02   

Could you try the Youtube plugin and see if that works...

Thanks

nightingale / 2014-04-24 13:59:19   

Tried Youtube plugin - exactly the same problem as with Vimeo.

Vaska A / 2014-04-24 16:48:24   

Ok. I don't have a contact there...

My guess is that something is up with curl or they have some php.ini restriction (that is unusual). I can't dig into this problem until Monday afternoon - I'll purchase one of their hosting accounts and investigate. It's the best I can do (given that I have no direct contact there).

nightingale / 2014-04-24 20:51:44   

ok thanks, certainly need to be able to get to the bottom of this.

It is a clients site and she needs to have the video of a work emended before the weekend, so I thought I would try directly uploading the .mov file as a temporary option, using the upload file option. It wasn't quite the right size so I delated it - but somehow it will not clear from the page: juliariddiough.com/works/-clip-cut-gel/
And is showing up in a incomplete form many times on the page. How can I clear the file completely off the page. I don't this is a browser cache issue as I have looked at the page on different browsers.
Thanks

Vaska A / 2014-04-24 22:52:22   

Does it show up in the backend? If the file was deleted how can it still show up?

Vaska A / 2014-04-24 23:04:28   

You are cutting and pasting the code into visual index? You could simply delete that code...

nightingale / 2014-04-25 17:20:02   

When I deleted the video the code was automatically pasted into the visual index - don't ask me how!

I could use this as a workaround the vimeo issue for now, except the video will not play with sound and has no thumbnail, even if I attach a cover!!! Suggestions to what is going on? This is really problematic given video is an important part of what is displayed on this website.

Vaska A / 2014-04-25 17:22:58   

Of course it doesn't have a cover image - you need to load it via the cms to have that.

Not playing with sound though? That's a Vimeo or video issue...even if it was loaded via Indexhibit we don't have control over audio.

nightingale / 2014-04-25 17:30:08   

I am not using vimeo, because it will not work I have uploaded the video as a file to the server. The video plays sound absolutely perfectly everywhere else.

Vaska A / 2014-04-25 17:47:59   

"Everywhere else", means?

The codec you use to output your video does make a difference. I'm not a video expert on these matters but every time I need to do something like that I have do things a few times to get them right (in the browser/codec).

Vaska A / 2014-04-25 17:55:30   

I see how that's not working - not even sure what to say...

Unfortunately the JW player folks wanted $5000 bucks to upgrade our distribution license AND the ability to track YOU whilst using the product and this wasn't very good in our opinion - so we don't have the latest version.

I guess I need to start reviewing replacements - I'll add it to the list. I don't know if it's not working because of a codec issue or their player...

nightingale / 2014-04-25 20:11:25   

The file I used is a .mov, but I also tried a .m4v (but that didn't display at all).

The JW issue is a frustrating situation from all our perspectives. I guess we are back to the drawing board in finding a solution to why neither the Vimeo or Youtube plug-in are working. I hope you can get some joy there.

Thanks

nightingale / 2014-05-01 07:23:51   

So you have any news on this resolving the Viemeo/ Youtube plug-in problem? I think you were going to take the matter up with the host on Monday?

"I can't dig into this problem until Monday afternoon - I'll purchase one of their hosting accounts and investigate. It's the best I can do (given that I have no direct contact there)."

I really do need to find a way to host video on the website as soon as possible.
Thanks
Sam

nightingale / 2014-05-08 01:32:18   

Hi Jeffery
I am still waiting for a resolve for this issue of getting a video to play successfully on the website. As you know I have tried vimeo and Youtube plug-ins, I have tried uploading the video as a file, but the JW issues prevents sound being played.

It is now over 3 weeks since I first reported the problem and if Indexhibit is to be a viable option as a platform it needs to be able to play video.

I have tired to add code directly to the page using a iframe but when I hit save it will not save with the code. IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY I CAN GET VIDEO WORKING ON THIS WEBSITE?
Older pages that use vimeo are fine.

Best
Sam

Vaska A / 2014-05-08 02:44:03   

Video works just fine on hosts - we have had very few problems (which is amazing). This one has something odd about it. I'm still investigating...

This thread has been closed, thank you.