site loading slowly with dreamhost

barada53 / 2014-05-28 16:16:24   

Here's the site: adambartos.com
It takes ages to load the sections. Once a section is loaded, it's fine. There aren't that many photos in each section, at most 30 pics. Could it be a dreamhost issue? Or is it just that there are too many photos in total on the site which is slowing it down? Thanks!

Vaska A / 2014-05-28 17:17:34   

I think your database is slow. This is mostly caused by servers having too many people on them - it's pretty common.

What I'm seeing in my console is that every loads VERY fast except the response from the server.

You should ask DH if they have any advice for dealing with slow servers (because they are so busy). Indexhibit is very light on the server - it's not eating up all the server resources.

In the past when this happened to myself (on another host), I would jsut move my database to another db server and problem resolved. You might not be able to do that on DH though.

barada53 / 2014-05-28 19:11:28   

Thanks Vaska, we will inquire about this and whether we can move to another db server.

barada53 / 2014-05-29 14:55:47   

Dreamhost replied: "I've pushed out a new Apache configuration to hopefully clear up any remaining issues." It does seem to load a bit faster but I had another question: a page within a drop down menu has a slideshow of 30 photos (adambartos.com/flatfile/drawer-1/). It takes almost 15 seconds to load and show the first image. Is this what we should expect or does this seem slow? Thanks again!

Vaska A / 2014-05-29 15:16:26   

We have another user with a similar problem. The page takes some time to load and then it will all load at the same time...

Which is exactly what I see in my console. It takes some time before the information comes out of the database - which still indicates a database issue. Why it would only affect a particular page though is very mysterious...

I'm beginning to wonder if there is some kind of processing that the server is doing with the images (which is not being done by Indexhibit) which is slowing things down. I'm a bit stumped what to think about this...I honestly can't say where that problem would be but I still guess it's a server issue.

barada53 / 2014-05-29 15:27:47   

It affects any page that has several images in a slideshow.

Vaska A / 2014-05-29 15:40:41   

It's as if the server is now loading all the images before allowing them or anything else to load in the browser. It doesn't make sense to me...

I can see in the console though that things are not coming out of the server immediately though - which is why I believe this is server side.

Vaska A / 2014-05-29 15:41:38   

I wish I could just pick up the phone and talk to one of their engineers but I've tried this over the years and it's never happened...always the low level tech support people who don't know what's going on.

Vaska A / 2014-05-29 15:42:29   

Can you do me a favor - send me your Slideshow file (plugin.slideshow.php) and I'll inspect it. There are a few versions so I'd like to see your particular version...

support at indexhibit dot org

barada53 / 2014-05-29 16:06:27   

is it plugin.jxs_slideshow.php in assets?
I don't see a plugin.slideshow.php ...

Vaska A / 2014-05-29 16:11:02   

my mistake - format.slideshow.php

barada53 / 2014-05-29 17:19:37   

ok - sent to support email.

Vaska A / 2014-05-29 17:48:04   

I see something - I'll send you an updated file in a bit. I hope it works.

Vaska A / 2014-05-29 19:56:36   

This is resolved - realized that thumbnails were rending each time. I'll make a final version of this next week and put it on the site.

This thread has been closed, thank you.