How to limit width of Exhibit text (from box) in slideshow theme

owenyzone / 2014-08-19 10:02:09   

I can limit exhibit text width using the body tag in style.css but there must be a better way. Where do I find the tag to control this.
And, I can limit the image caption text width with £exhibit p in style.css but not the Image title width. Where can I do this.
I have searched the forum long and hard.

fermelelundi / 2014-08-19 15:47:51   

Hi

I'm not a big professionnal

But I did like that

in your style css
you need to find :

/* paragraph width */
#index div, p { text-align: center; margin-bottom: 1em; }
#exhibit p, code, blockquote { text-align: justify; width: 700px; margin-bottom: 1em; /* line-height: 1.3em; */ }

and you insert :
text-align: justify; width: 700px; like in the prevoius code

I have also change this thing always in style css
: max-width: 1245px;

body {
    font-size: 13px;
    font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;
    background: rgb(31,31,31);
    color: #fff;
    line-height: 1.3em;
    /* font-weight: 300; */
max-width: 1245px;

I hope I help you
For me it work

Vaska A / 2014-08-19 19:10:54   

Does that work? I'm a bit confused by that reply...

@owen: what is your site?

owenyzone / 2014-08-20 14:08:25   

I have not had a chance to try it yet but will have a go tonight, so thanks Fermelelundi. Vasca my site is owenedelsten.co.uk but the site I am starting to work on is eastneukhotel.uk It works without the www. I tried putting it here as a link but it doesnt seem to work. Anyway, this is me playing with indexhibit as it is now different with V.2 and it's not a serious website. I'll start working on it in a week or two. So I'm trying to refamiliarise myself with what is possible. Thanks, and I'll let youknow if it works.

owenyzone / 2014-08-20 14:34:00   

Hi Fermelelundi, it's not working. The /*paragraph width*/ code only affects the Image Caption width and the post nav (built with indexhibit). I can limit the text width of the Exhibit text box using the body tag as you say, but it seems a bit clunky.
This applies to the Slideshow Theme.
I se a V.1 site limiting the text width with a .container tag in style.css. Is there an equivalent?

fermelelundi / 2014-08-20 14:52:18   

Hi Owen
I'm sorry, but I can't help you any more, I'm beginner.
You need to wait the very Helpful Vaska.

Good Luck :-)

owenyzone / 2014-08-20 16:08:43   

OK I've got something working. if I put this in: #exhibit p,.container {width:700px;} then the text from the Exhibit box is limited to 700 px like my pictures. The only problem is its also letting my section titles and prenav run to a width of 700px. One step forward...

Vaska A / 2014-08-20 18:46:51   

Don't put it on the .container, that will lead to other problems. #exhibit p is the right place...

owenyzone / 2014-08-20 19:04:37   

It doesnt work in #exhibit p (unless of course I'm over-riding that somewhere else). This limits only the Image Caption width.

Also, is there a simple way to style the prenav other than writing html
tags in the prenav box?

Vaska A / 2014-08-20 19:11:38   

Show me exactly the exhibit you are talking about...

owenyzone / 2014-08-20 22:03:47   

Its here: eastneukhotel.uk/
without www.

you can see my annotations about what seems to work where. Sorry its very rough.
Thanks, Owen.

Vaska A / 2014-08-20 22:53:59   

Why did you set a width of 20px for #index p?

#exhibit p, #img-container p will set the width of paragraphs in content space.

.captioning has a width of 700px (you can set this either in style.css if you see it there or in the CSS at the bottom of the /ndxzsite/plugin/format.visual_index.php file).

You do not need to style the width for title and caption once you have set .captioning. Or, if you do, these are likely found in the same as the above.

owenyzone / 2014-08-21 13:50:25   

I was changing widths to radically different sizes to make it obvious what certain things on the style.css were doing to the actual page elements. I have to go through this learning procedure as I'm not too familiar with html.

Thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestions tonight.

Regards. Owen.

Vaska A / 2014-08-21 14:00:15   

That is a good way to learn things - I do that all the time still.

owenyzone / 2014-08-21 14:35:24   

"#exhibit p, #img-container p will set the width of paragraphs in content space."
This seems only to affect the Image Caption, not whats written in the Exhibit box.

".captioning has a width of 700px (you can set this either in style.css if you see it there or in the CSS at the bottom of the /ndxzsite/plugin/format.visual_index.php file)."

I'm using Slideshow, so this isn't doable right?

Can I put width:600px; type instructions in the Exhibit box itself?

This thread has been closed, thank you.