How to get best image quality/resolution with files

ClaireCichy / 2014-09-21 00:34:00   

What is the optimal image size to use when uploading images? My resolution always tends to look poor when zooming in. For a photo site this is integral for me - to have good quality images. It also seems like these could be separate issues (image file size vs. resolution settings). I know I might be able to change the resolution limit in options.php. Currently set at 90. Thanks.

ClaireCichy / 2014-09-22 22:05:51   

Hi - any thoughts on how to improve resolution of images (so they don't pixelate so quickly upon zooming in on them)? Is this done in options.php? If so, what is the setting that will get me the best resolution (currently set at '90'). Thanks.

Vaska A / 2014-09-23 21:12:13   

Upload larger images. Set the value to 100.

Zooming, is naturally going to pixelate images at a certain point though.

ClaireCichy / 2014-09-25 16:36:29   

Many thanks again, Vaska. I will set the value higher. I just wonder why on other sites I've viewed it is possible to zoom in quite closely without seeing much pixelation. Is there a difference between digital images and analog images that are scanned do you think?

ClaireCichy / 2014-09-25 16:55:06   

Could I set the value higher than 100 for even better resolution?

Vaska A / 2014-09-25 23:30:17   

Not possible.

No difference in the images like that. It's all in the quality of the image...

ClaireCichy / 2014-09-26 15:35:39   

Thanks again, Vaska.

I guess I'm just wondering then, what is the optimal size for best quality of images for Indexhibit. Just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction before resizing all my images. Thank you!!

ClaireCichy / 2014-09-26 15:54:46   

And is something like a .png or .gif better than a .jpg?

ArnoA / 2014-10-01 19:44:05   

I don't think tweaking the option file will change so much.
It is more about the image you are uploading on your site.
Image quality and size of an image are two different things.
You can have a small image of very good quality compared to a big image of a very low quality.
Quality is about the JPG compression (see high to low quality in the dialog box at the time you are saving in JPG) creating more or less artefacts (damaging the gradients and creating noise especially near edges, hence blurriness)
Size is about definition, the total amount of pixels which makes an image big or tiny.
To zoom in an image is a common langage but is technically non sense. The real words are that you are looking closer to an image that is first on-screen displayed smaller than it's original size.
It means that the image should be larger than the screen or displaying window.
You CANNOT look closer (looking for more details) to an image that is small, even if it's of the highest quality. Then it's not looking closer, it is upscalling, which means pixelating, and show even more the quality problem.
There is no optimal size for best quality for indexhibit or any web site. The problem is about the size you want the image to be displayed on screen, considering that bigger the imagge will be, higher in weight the file will be, then the more problem will occure during uploading while navigating on the website, due to bandwith.
Upload a big image that will be seen just at a small size is nonsense.
The best quality is reached by uploading the image at the size you want it to be seen actually, with low compression (high JPG quality) with an eye on the weight of the file for practical reason.
PNG, GIF and JPG are formats that affects quality, but that should first be considered upon the image type and use.
GIF allows for animated image on the web. It is a single layer image, with indexed colors from a small palette. It will definitely damage the gradients of a picture.
PNG is an image that allows for transparency, hence it's a 4 layered image. Obviously then it will be higher in weight. Great for transparency (image with cut parts you want to see through) but non sense if it's 100% opaque. PNG offers the option to be compressed or not.
JPG is a 3 layered and ALWAYS compressed image. Not so good for graphic or anything with hard edges, but obviously the best way for pictures. There's no way for human eye to notice the compression on a print made from a high quality (11 - 12) JPG file from the original source.Thing to know is that compression occures each time you are saving. The best quality is then achieve by making only one compression, hence saving from the original uncompressed image. Understand that opening a JPG image, and saving it again, you make a second compression, then damaging it one more time.
There's absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between digital image an analog image that are scanned, because they are both then digital. The problem you may have is about the image quality and size you're getting from the scan.

ClaireCichy / 2014-10-02 04:12:09   

Thank you for that! Do you know if there is a way to increase the image size when clicking on it with Indexhibit?

This thread has been closed, thank you.