Hacked website – now blank

aaschool / 2015-06-11 10:38:46   

Our website bedfordpress.org is showing a blank page also with no access to the log in page.

We have contacted our host but they can not find the problem and keep referring us to look at our index.php file, which had some extra code at the bottom which we have removed but are now unsure as to the damage to other files/database etc.

If you are able to offer any help or advice on how to fix this matter we would be very grateful as none of us are very database savvy I'm afraid.

Many thanks

Vaska A / 2015-06-11 11:30:29   

There are a bunch of threads around here with info about how to handle hacked sites - unforunately, it happens.

Search "hack".

aaschool / 2015-06-12 11:21:58   

Hi Vaska

I did read through all of these but most do not apply as we can't actually log in to our indexhibit to see what damage has been caused (ie content missing etc) because the entire site loads blank. We have replaced both index.php files with fresh clean ones but the website still shows blank.

I understand that this a free service and you feel you may have covered this before but we are really struggling to bring our site back to life.

If you are able to take a look or point us towards somewhere that may be able to help us we would be extremely grateful

Many thanks
Claire

Vaska A / 2015-06-12 11:39:28   

This is why people should always back up their site. If you had the backup this would be simple because the problem is just files (most likely).

It is a free service - aside from nearly 8 years of help and advice on this forum I can't do any more.

I wish I could find free help too.

aaschool / 2015-06-24 16:57:31   

Hello Vaska

I have managed to get the website back up (with a back up you will be glad to hear). But none of the links are working to the exhibits. Even if I create a new exhibit this link also does not work.

Perhaps you could point me to which file I might be able to fix this in?

Many thanks for any advice

Claire

Vaska A / 2015-06-24 18:05:39   

It's not fully back. In "Tutorials" read about mod_rewrite/clean urls. And/or, search the forum on this topic. You're almost there now... ;)

PS: you need to fix your .htaccess file and if it's not there simply remake that file (from the files you got from your download and that tutorial).

aaschool / 2015-06-25 14:49:25   

Hello Vaska

Amazing. Thank you so much
Our site is now back online and backed up
Now we just need to change hosts so it doesn't happen again

Many thanks
Claire

Vaska A / 2015-06-25 14:56:56   

That's a tough call. Hosts, usually the cheaper they are the more likely it will happen, but it's also the technology. Nearly all self-hosted cms's that allow uploads are susceptible if somebody really wants to make an attack. So, choose a good host, always keep a backup after important changes and be on the guard.

Happy to see you are rolling again...

This thread has been closed, thank you.