Using Media Queries for responsive design

adriandilena / 2015-09-20 18:31:20   

Hello,

I recently came back to indexhibit because I love the design, functionality and the ability to customize. I know that the creators are busy and that there is no scheduled release of a mobile version, but despite how much I love indexhibit on the desktop - it kills me when ever I look at the site on my phone (which is so common these days).

Anyway - I was thinking that as a kind half-way solution might be to use media queries and then make a few design changes for mobile. It wouldn't be full mobile functionality, but I could do a few things like adjusting text, titling, and background and make it a smoother experience for the mobile user.

I've started playing around with them, but so far no luck. Is there something more fundamental about this approach that might make it impossible? again, not asking for any work, just want to make sure I am not barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks.

Vaska A / 2015-09-20 19:00:45   

Yes, while it's not scheduled it will happen. I've done most of the work but still haven't finished it well enough...

If you view our website (but not the forum) on your phone you will see what's basically coming. Feel free to grab and code and javascript from the site to help you out. Also know, the exhibit format (when on the phone) will be reduced to one (Over Over) because it's really the only proper responsive format.

adriandilena / 2015-09-20 19:39:04   

Hey Vaska,

I basically just did that. Glad you suggested it, as I was wondering if it was a little shady to steal some unfinished/unreleased code from you guys. But happy to give it a try - will let you know if anything interesting comes up.

Quick question: One of the biggest things I find jarring right now when looking at my site on a mobile device is that the background doesn't adjust (I'm using background images) - is this something I can adjust in the mobile.css sheet, or does the background image function need to be addressed somewhere else?

Thanks a lot.

This thread has been closed, thank you.