Mobile Detection

mrshankly2011 / 2017-01-13 06:19:51   

Loving the mobile iPhone site with 2.1.2, but my iPad Mini is showing the full site. The screen is small enough on there to be problematic without some sort of responsive CSS. Is there an easy way to set the mobile site to activate on devices larger than phones? Thanks.

Vaska A / 2017-01-13 12:20:37   

It's supposed to show full screen. You can edit the media queries for the format (the css).

On my little iPad Mini it's good I feel.

Vaska A / 2017-01-13 13:10:40   

I guess the question I have...

Are tablets mobile? On mine, I think it's fine with the standard site. If you have an opinion on this please post to this thread - I'd like to know...

I wish there was some way to get alot of feedback quickly. It's something I've never been able to get from this project (in 10 years of trying now and then).

mrshankly2011 / 2017-01-13 14:10:39   

I don't think tablets are mobile, but at the same time I think they can be restrictive for an image-based site. Last night I did exactly what you recommended - added media queries for 1024 and 1280 screen widths (my Mini and Macbook). The thing that was bothering me was that I could not get the right side to show any background on the Mini - the images hit the edge of the screen. I had to simply set a max-width for the images (padding wasn't doing it). It could just be my general lack of CSS skills.

Vaska A / 2017-01-13 15:11:58   

"right side to show any backgroud on the Mini"

Can you show me what this means? Link to a screenshot?

mrshankly2011 / 2017-01-16 01:04:00   

Sorry I didn't get back to this - been avoiding anything technical. I solved the issue using media queries to shrink the images a bit on the Mini.

colinklockner / 2017-02-07 05:24:29   

Hi Vaska,

following up since you are interested in getting feedback. My sense is that those tablet operate in that in between space. In your new theme with larger default text, it would probably be fine; any implementation that uses the standard small text is pretty rough on a tablet.

Now that the CMS is offering responsive, in general, I am wishing that the image sizing under exhibit options offered "image % size"-- it would seem to be much more reliable in the new age of screens large and small, and would lower the stakes regarding when mobile is triggered.

I noticed that the indexhibit.org page switches to mobile just when resizing while my own site and the demo site only switch when visited from a device self-identifying as mobile. I would love if the pixel size was the trigger as the default (or at least a built in option), obviously one can make this happen site by site as well.

Thank you again for all your work, really enjoying my new mobile capability. The update is a great accomplishment for the project.

Vaska A / 2017-02-07 13:22:20   

Technically, Indexhibit doesn't offer responsive. The mobile theme is actually adaptive and only for mobile phones under a particular size threshold. People can change this if they want (to work better on iPads, etc).

I'm hoping to soon renovate all existing exhibit formats to be responsive (using css/flex). It's alot of work, though. This will be the step needed to make fully responsive templates (and maybe do away with the mobile theme complete but we'll see). For now, it's a solution that works...I don't see it as the one final solution.

Indexhibit.org is using different code - it's not the same as the mobile theme. I'll be updating the site next month (I hope).

colinklockner / 2017-02-07 18:11:12   

Got it. Looking forward to it.

This thread has been closed, thank you.