Change maxlength of title

bjorkman / 2008-12-20 21:35:16   

Is it possible to change the maxlength of the exhibition titles? It's locked to 35 in the inplace editor and the js-file is minified/packed so it's really hard to change there.

Regards
Peter Björkman

bjorkman / 2008-12-20 21:41:59   

Update: when you create a new exhibition the maxlength is 50 so theres no backend restriction anyway.

cmlarsen / 2008-12-21 04:54:16   

Has any one found a solution for this?

It seems Vaska has tweaked the jQuery inplace editor to limit the input to 35 characters when editing the titles, but (as previously mentioned) when you create the exhibit, you can give it a title up to 50 characters, and in the database it is stored as a varchar with a length of 100.

Does anyone have an hints or suggestions? It seems arbitrary....and it would be nice to have long titles.

kirigamist / 2008-12-21 13:50:21   

Instructions are here- http://www.indexhibit.org/forum/thread/326/
And do read Vaskas warning : )

Vaska A / 2008-12-21 15:12:16   

It's not arbitrary if it works the way we wanted it to work.

I wish people would stop using my name...there are other people around here too.

I feel like I'm being blamed for a decision we consciously made...and we have discussed this around here many times before if you would try out the search.

cmlarsen / 2008-12-21 21:54:11   

Thanks for reposting the solution.

Sorry Vaska, no slight intended. :)

cmlarsen / 2008-12-21 22:10:48   

Hmmm,
On reading that post....and some others and trying it out anyway, it seems that the fix posted above is only for image titles. What about for modifying existing exhibition titles?

The problem I ran into was: I created an exhibition with a long title (~40 characters). In creating the exhibition I was allowed to make it up to 50 characters. Then after spending a fair amount of time adding photos, writing text, etc. I realized that I had misspelled a word in the exhibition title. When I go to edit it, I delete the misspelled work, but I am then unable to insert the correctly spelled work because the character count is greater than 35. So now I have two options: 1) recreate the exhibition (not a friendly option) or 2) go and change the database entry by hand...still not very friendly.

It would stand to my logic that if the max length of the exhibition title is 50 at creation, it should be 50 at edit. Or if the editing only supports 35 characters, then only 35 should be allowed in the creation of the title, no? (But then you wonder why the varchar length in the database is 100).

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass...this is an amazing platform (if it wasn't I wouldn't be interested in making it work for me).

To settle my own curiousity...why is it that you can only edit an exhibition title inplace of 35 characters or less?.

shauniqua / 2011-03-14 20:11:13   

BUMP.

anyone ever find a solution? digging through the threads...

shauniqua / 2011-03-14 21:41:44   

sweet mother, i have found the "35" i was looking for!

/asset/js/ndxz.exhibit-edit.js, line 127 ... THIS DOES IT! changed to input's max allowable, 255

Vaska A / 2011-03-15 05:12:14   

Please don't cross post - this was answered in another thread.

RRIICC / 2012-12-03 15:41:10   

Does it work with the current indexhibit version?
It seems I'm not able to get to this asset/js/ndxz.exhibit-edit.js
and also, looking in assets / js I'm not finding any ndxz.exhibit-edit.js
Maybe it is just my knowledge-zero in programming... ;)

Vaska A / 2012-12-03 16:37:47   

The limit on Indexhibit 2 is 255 I believe - that's alot.

I'm closing this thread because it's really old...

This thread has been closed, thank you.