A Starting Point Theme

ednacional / 2008-12-23 16:45:57   

I have created a theme for the purpose of helping indexhibit users who may not have extensive knowledge of css. I have commented the original code to be easily altered and understood. I hope it also serves to help people figure out what each element does.

I have also styled the theme to look pretty, and could be simply used as is with no alterations.

This theme was developed in collaboration with Mushon Zer-Aviv as part of his class 'Open Source Design' at Parsons The New School for Design. You can check out our class blog to see our process and other great indexhibit plug-ins and tutorials made by other students.

Download and View a Demo

This is a Open Source work in progress. Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

I hope some of you find this useful!

Ed

Vaska A / 2008-12-23 17:43:42   

Looks great Ed...I'm sure alot of people will appreciate and use this.

Next year we are going to launch a formal mechanism for sharing user contributed code back to the community...

Thanks

Eloisa A / 2008-12-23 20:37:14   

Thanks for sharing!
Looks like you guys are building an amazing pool of ressources. Good job!

mushon / 2008-12-23 23:32:13   

Cool!
It would be great to have a repository of sharable code snippets for css and for plugins.
Is Indexhibit on Git? I guess not?
It would be great to have a code repository to follow and submit patches to. I am sure developers like (and hopefully more capable than me and my students) will be able to use that and contribute through it for the benefit of the wider Indexhibit community.

ednacional / 2009-01-09 19:35:58   

I have received a few great emails and positive responses to this already. I would love to hear more about your experiences using and modifying my theme. It would definitely help me improve it.

Thanks everyone!

Vaska A / 2009-01-09 20:10:02   

Well, you are also welcome to come in here and help people out. As myself and moderators do everyday.

paul / 2009-01-24 20:43:40   

First thank you for this theme, the comments are really helpfull for me... I'm starting with css.

In fact I have a little problem in modifying the theme: I put in comments the "/*a:visited {" section but the colour of visited links stay in purple and underline.

I tried to find what was wrong but i didn't find how to change this colour.
I think that there is an overwritten part of code somewhere, but where?

It will be helpfull if you could put me on the way.
thanks.

paul

paul / 2009-01-24 20:44:38   

My website is: www.paulvaugoyeau.com/new

paucc A / 2009-02-02 12:54:58   

Thanks Ed for the nice design and of course Daniel and Jeffrey for the nice code!!!

beepbeep / 2009-03-10 05:27:22   

Hey there! I just wanted to say thanks for this beautifully simple design. I'm somewhat familiar with CSS, but not entirely so, so your comments really helped and enlightened me a bit about some CSS elements I was hesitant to touch before or unsure about otherwise.

I just have one question; I'm wanting to credit Indexhibit (and you) on a seperate "about this site" page but I don't know where to remove the "Built with Indexhibit" on the menu. I've fiddled around with it a bit, but am still unsure as to how to remove it so that I may put it somewhere else.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for sharing this with everyone!

beepbeep / 2009-03-10 05:38:50   

Nevermind...solved my problem! :)

dadaclonefly / 2009-04-14 00:30:23   

Don't know if anyone's still reading this, but after I installed this theme and changed to it in settings, my site just becomes three lines of text:

Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: stat failed for /home/dfalcone/public_html/archive/ndxz-studio/site/osd-commented/index.php in /home/dfalcone/public_html/archive/index.php on line 81

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/dfalcone/public_html/archive/index.php on line 81

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/dfalcone/public_html/archive/index.php on line 82

Any suggestions?

taku / 2009-05-01 10:29:31   

dadacionefly - try taking the files out of the top osd_commented folder, then uploading.

ermorden / 2009-08-05 22:28:51   

has anyone gotten any kind of 403 error when trying to apply this theme? I am unable to change my settings to reflect the theme.

Vaska A / 2009-08-05 22:36:21   

It's not the theme...

ermorden / 2009-08-06 05:59:19   

wish I knew what it was!

Richard_N / 2009-08-11 15:39:34   

Make sure that your file permissions are all ok - files as 644 and the main theme folder as 755. Mine unpacked as 700 and the css files weren't available for the application - no error as such but nothing was displaying correctly. Good luck!

d0mino / 2009-08-12 10:16:51   

Thank you for this excellent template!

MJB / 2009-11-11 17:34:10   

Thank you very much for this template. I'm currently studying it as I'm building a website with indexhibit, and this is very useful. Will send link along when there's something worthwhile to show. Thank you Ed, and of course, thank you Vaska for all of your hard work.

elfneedsfoodbadly / 2009-11-14 01:45:18   

thanks for this template - i'm finding it an excellent learning tool. however, i'm having a little trouble with one part of the .css and its application: the #copy ID.

i've taken the code from your sample amending only the 'internal' - mine looks something simple like

1. #copy {
  2.         font-style: italic;
  3.         color: #0000ff;
  4. }

- just so i can see if it's working. i was confused about how the ID is applied to the elements. i've had a look at the index.php you've bundled with the OSD commented style and i can't see the ID applied anywhere there ... so i tinkered with it and i seem to have reproduced some of the effect by adding to the original index.php as follows:

1. < div id="copy">
  2. <%obj_ibot%>
  3. < /div>

i think yours works without this extra code so i'm wondering if this is how it's supposed to be done or is there another file to be modified which will apply the ID across all themes?

i'm new at all this so i hope the question makes sense.

www.elfneedsfoodbadly.org

elfneedsfoodbadly / 2009-11-14 01:47:34   

the second 4 lines of code didn't look like that in the preview - more like:

1. < div id="copy">
  2. <%obj_ibot%>
  3. < /div>
elfneedsfoodbadly / 2009-11-16 18:46:10   

i posted this just before the weekend ... i hope it's ok if i bump it just the once?

lemathieu A / 2009-11-16 20:22:48   

yes, I already see that in this theme.
is it a problem for you ?

elfneedsfoodbadly / 2009-11-16 21:49:32   

now i'm a bit confused, lemathieu. i was sure i tried styling something with this ID before with no success but now it's working ...

Ed seems to have re-written/re-ordered the last few elements ( the etc.). i think i was confused because i can see where he adds the 'built' class in the php but not the #copy ID. i guess that's added in the process of retrieving ?

it seems the classes are Ed's additions but the #copy ID is part of the original Indexhibit config?

(trying to work a lot of stuff out here with no php training or experience, so please don't feel obliged to respond to the open-ended questions!)

elfneedsfoodbadly / 2009-11-16 21:53:10   

'( the etc.)' above should read '(the < obj%_ibot% > etc.)'

and

'... process of retrieving ?' should read '... process of retrieving < obj%_ibot% >?'

they looked OK in the preview, here's hoping this time ...

:)

apricotmuffins / 2010-01-14 07:53:57   

I just wanted to say, I used this theme to help the customisation of my website and it was BRILLIANT. The comments alongside the CSS really helped someone like me, who has never worked with css, let alone html before.

If you want to see my site, its here:

apricotmuffins / 2010-01-14 07:54:54   

www.mariabovor.co.uk

for some reason my link didnt show up in my last post!

Whiskas / 2010-01-28 14:16:12   

Hi,

Thanks for the great theme! I'm getting a little stuck though... When i change your source code to different text colors etc I lose the settings on the pre-nav text, i.e page heading. It just goes back to unaligned size 12 helvetica etc. I really can't work it out because i'm not even touching that part of the code yet.
I wondered if it was anything to do with the index.php and ie.css files as i have found i need to use ones copied from the sample page folder - if i use yours, any changes i make in style.css go un-noticed...

If anyone can help i'd be most appreciative!
(please check my site to see what i mean.. www.whiskasfx.com)

murmur75 / 2010-02-02 11:45:18   

Hi,

Nice theme, sorry for such a silly question but I'd like to align the menu on the right, but can't figure out how to do that...Any could let me know please?
Thanks!

richardn / 2010-02-02 12:03:10   

#menu {text-align: right;}

That will align the text to the right side of the menu section.

Or do you want to put the whole menu on the right side of the page?

murmur75 / 2010-02-02 14:44:08   

Just the text on the right, it works now, thank you!

hannad / 2010-02-02 15:37:01   

Hey there,

I think this is a great initiative!
I'm trying to change my 'theme' into yours (is the map called: osd_commented ?)
If I choose that one, if I check preview, it's showing a blank page.
Do you know what the problem is?

Thanks!

lemathieu A / 2010-02-02 16:26:27   

Try to reupload all the files of the theme.

hannad / 2010-02-02 21:17:29   

When you have completed installation delete the 'install.php' file - you must do this.

Where can I find the 'install.php' file?

fredriksjolander / 2010-02-04 09:05:44   

Thank you very much for this splendid theme! I have used it as a start for my site and I have a question:

The slideshow gallery function i really nice and i want to use it, but! I cant get a white border around it!

can anyone help me with this? I would be realy greatfull :)

thank you! /fredrik

kelsyp / 2010-02-15 05:00:15   

This is wonderful! thank you so much its exactly what I have been looking for!

kelsyp / 2010-02-15 05:00:15   

This is wonderful! thank you so much its exactly what I have been looking for!

tombro / 2010-02-18 22:14:19   

I got this warring after installation :/

Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: stat failed for /srv/www/vhosts/tombronowski.com/httpdocs/indexhibit/ndxz-studio/site/blueprint/index.php in /srv/www/vhosts/tombronowski.com/httpdocs/indexhibit/index.php on line 81

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /srv/www/vhosts/tombronowski.com/httpdocs/indexhibit/index.php on line 81

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /srv/www/vhosts/tombronowski.com/httpdocs/indexhibit/index.php on line 82

Any ideas?
thx

arsondpi / 2010-02-18 23:17:10   

search the forum by entering index.php on line 82. This has nothing to do with this theme.
You deleted you home page and you need to use the Reset Script found at the Downloads page.

tombro / 2010-02-19 09:17:56   

I used 'site reset script' and this is what I got as end message: Everything looked just fine - nothing was changed.
Still got problem with line 82 nd 81 :/

tombro / 2010-02-19 09:54:16   

Other themes/templates works fine.

lemathieu A / 2010-02-19 10:13:27   

Maybe just try to reupload this theme

tombro / 2010-02-19 11:09:13   

Solved

freizeitmeister / 2010-07-09 22:59:00   

Hi, I totally love the design.

But I have a problem. which one of the #blabla color codes is the one for link color. Ive got the colors right AFTER its clicked, but not before....

Please help and thanks already!

//Meister

arsondpi / 2010-07-10 09:30:03   

Check this
...please post an address next time and have a look at the two red links in the Useful threads post...

freizeitmeister / 2010-07-12 21:01:02   

thank you very much! fixed it.

jimmythesaint / 2011-12-20 15:37:48   

Like a lot of people, I used this Ed Nacional CSS to form the basis for my own style sheet, but one thing has always bugged me - there's a very clear instruction in the forum guidelines about never adjusting #menu or #content paddings and margins but instead using #menu .container or #content .container. Ed - maybe because he knows what he's doing - doesn't bother to follow this rule (neither it seems do most people, for that matter). So is my CSS fine as it is, or should I add the .container rule as advised? I really wanna build it RIGHT... Here's my site.

Vaska A / 2011-12-20 17:21:36   

No, it's not right - you don't adjust those. You are right. I've seen alot of sites fail for this same reasons over the years - it's not good advice.

ilsignorcore / 2012-05-06 20:10:14   

i'm very proud to use this theme on my site :)

thanks Ed Nacional!

my website

christiaan / 2012-06-11 12:29:04   

Hi ednacional, will Ed Nacional be updated for Indexhibiut v2? Love this theme.

This thread has been closed, thank you.