How to add white boxes around text?

joannahawley / 2009-01-10 22:31:24   

I've made a dark/intricately patterned background for my website and I'd like to put white boxes around the text so it is readable.
I don't know where to find this in the code (i am very much a novice) or even how to add it in. help!

Vaska A / 2009-01-10 22:57:57   

This may or may not work...give it a try...

Add to your styles.css file...add to the bottom of the file...

1. p { background: #fff; padding: 6px; }

That should do it. There are a few ways to do this...I'm not totally sure this will work out but this is the fastest approach.

IVF / 2009-02-15 21:35:53   

Hello!
I have been searching though the forum for don't disturb you, making stupid questions but I didn't find what I'm searching...
I would like to have the text (in the exhibits, not in the index) with a background color box. For instance with a light grey.

I would like to have a little icon next to the browser. I mean, I would like to find my logo when somebody will write my url into the browser. I coudn't find this topic neither...

Please could you help me? Thanks so much!!

www.ivf-projects.com

arsondpi / 2009-02-15 23:09:42   

...something like this?

#content p {
background:#eee;
margin:0px;
padding:10px;
width:400px;
}

as for the second question copy/paste favicon site:http://indexhibit.org/forum/ in a google search box and you'll find what you need!

cruz / 2009-02-16 10:09:20   

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/help/#create

d / 2009-03-13 18:57:20   

hi there!

no problem adding the 'white boxes' arround the text when having a color background or a imagebackground...

but i would also like to have it arround the exhibit images and subtitles... as if that 'white box' was only one, both for text, images and subtitles, even the same for all exihbit pages.

I imagine its also something related with editing the style.css file, but i am not being able to do it by my own. can somebody help me?

tks!!!

Vaska A / 2009-03-14 03:02:12   

It would probably depend upon the exhibition format itself to do this...which one(s) in particular are you using?

d / 2009-03-14 13:39:11   

Hi!

First I appologize my insistence...

I am using just two exhibition formats, both slideshow and grow.

my website is www.diogoaguiar.com !!

thank you

Vaska A / 2009-03-14 15:28:25   

I don't see any projects that have anything in the background like an image or a color...could you do this on one of them and then post the link here so we have something specific to look at...

d / 2009-03-14 17:30:45   

Sorry... I only had backgrounds on two of them because i was still making some experiences.

for slideshow exhibition, please see:
http://www.diogoaguiar.com/projects/auditorium/

for grow exhibition, please see:
http://www.diogoaguiar.com/drawings/space-and-architecture/

tks once again!!!

d / 2009-03-15 20:22:01   

hmmm...

I was wondering if so, maybe I should edit something relating bakground-color in the exhibition files like: exhibit.slideshow.php ... but I am not really getting anywhere

I found this site as a reference for what I mean:

http://www.extrafunk.com/

can somebody help me?

tks!!

d / 2009-03-16 14:57:13   

hi again!

yesterday I was searching around the all forum and I didn´t found any straight answer relating this... However I've seen already lots of websites where this is done.

So I will try to be more clear:

In the exhibits container and heving a image-background, I would like to have a white frame where both text and images are in. Like a white page (and its contents) on top of the image background.

This is a link for the stage i am in: here

any help would be much appreciated...

thank you

cruz / 2009-03-16 18:10:06   

It looks like you want to address the .container.

d / 2009-03-16 18:20:11   

ok!

I think you mean I should edit:
.container {padding: 40px 5px 40px 5px;} in the style.css

Is that right? Because when I tryed to do it, hadding a background color like this:
.container {padding: 40px 5px 40px 5px; background-color: white;}
the result was strange and it did cover the text part...

d / 2009-03-16 18:21:35   

So I am not sure what you mean by 'address the .container'

obrigado pela paciência!!!

diogo

cruz / 2009-03-16 19:18:12   

sorry, try #content instead.

d / 2009-03-16 19:42:25   

hmm...
I had already tryed that and doesn´t work still... for some reason I can´t get a white background behind the image slideshow...

the result, which you can check here is also diferent between explorer and mozilla...

i am getting crazy with this... any other ideas?

tks!!!

d

Vaska A / 2009-03-16 19:47:13   

The problem is that the slideshow plugin is a real pain...it does alot of things that are totally unnecessary in my book. You might consider switching the format to the 'click switch' format - search the forum for it.

Otherwise, you might need to add a clear: both or clear: left in there to get the white box to extend itself naturally.

d / 2009-03-16 19:48:46   

ohhhhh... and it also making something in the main page...

I now have a white rectangle, where there was supposedly to have nothing... grrr...

any help would be much appreciated...

tks again!!!

Vaska A / 2009-03-16 19:50:13   

Also...this is a mess...

1. #menu {
  2.     width: auto;
  3.     overflow: auto;
  4.     top: 40px;
  5.     bottom: 40px;
  6.     left: 50px;
  7.     position: fixed;
  8.     height: auto;
  9.     background-color: #fff;
  10.     padding: 10px
  11. }
  12. #content {
  13.     top: 40px;
  14.     bottom: 40px;
  15.     width: 600px;
  16.     height: 100%;
  17.     margin: 40px 0 40px 265px;
  18.     background-color: #fff
  19. }

You can not style margin and padding of #menu and #content - this is why the .containers exist. You should be styling these via #menu .container and #content .container. And, setting values for top and bottom create other problems as well. Things are really off the mark now...you should back out these changes and work them up again. Until you do this, you will experience all kinds of other issues...

d / 2009-03-16 19:58:11   

ok... thanks!
I will use only the .container files. I had made a backup file for style.css any case something went wrong!! :)

regarding your previous post... i didn't understand what you mean by "you might need to add a clear: both or clear: left in there"... i am new on these things... sorry

i am also already looking for the click switch format!

tks for your time!!

d

Vaska A / 2009-03-16 20:01:19   

I'll tell you what...try iwakami/click-switch first and see how you like it. if not...we'll figure out the clear issue.

d / 2009-03-16 20:17:42   

deal!! tks for your help!

This thread has been closed, thank you.