internet explorer and thickbox

subdebut / 2007-08-13 18:42:13   

hello
I have some pictures in my site using thickbox, with safari and firefox there is no problem, but with explorer doesnt work. there is a solution for that?
thanks a lot

nando

Vaska A / 2007-08-13 21:24:28   

Is there a website to look at? Is there a better description regarding what "doesnt work"?

subdebut / 2007-08-14 11:51:42   

sorry about my english, you can see here what I mind

http://www.nandocornejo.com/projects/contempopranea-05/

I meant doesn't work becouse in explorer doesn't work the thickbox, but in safari and firefox works good.

I work wiht mac

Vaska A / 2007-08-14 12:13:40   

IE 5 on a Mac perhaps? Sorry, it will never work on that...

If it's not in the current version, the next update to Indexhibit will have Thickbox 3...and/or...I hope something more modern.

I have no idea when I will have time in the next few weeks to make the release available.

subdebut / 2007-08-14 12:17:55   

OK Vaska,
thanks a lot for your time, I'm waiting for the new indexhibit update!

Vaska A / 2007-08-14 12:20:35   

But, are you talking about IE5 on a Mac? Or, IE on PC's?

It will never work on IE5 - very few people support it anymore. It's too old and it was really a horrible piece of work.

christi4n / 2007-09-26 13:10:17   

Hi Vaska,

first let me thank you for the great work that you've done with indexhibit and for the possibility that you give to people to make very functional websites. It's just great.

I have noticed the same problem as subdeut but on pc and using IE7. The thickbox option doesn't work properly. The page doesn't become white/semi-transparent as it does on firefox, so when you have a lot of thumbs the vision it's not good and it's hard to see next and prev buttons.

an example at this page of my site http://www.christianfossati.com/index.php?/portraits/color/

I'm using indexhibit v0.69. I still have to work on my site.

Thanks again for your time. Ciao!

Eloisa A / 2007-09-26 16:23:14   

Hello Christi4n, maybe you could post a screen capture? This would help us to see what you're seeing. Thanks!

christi4n / 2007-09-26 17:19:55   

Hola Eloisa, there's a screenshot here

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1442985763&size=o

as you can see the overlay is completely transparent.
css problem?

a friend of mine told me that there's a new version of thickbox (v3.1 http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/), but I can't upgrade it on indexhibit.

bye and thank you!

Vaska A / 2007-09-26 18:19:53   

We'll upgrade this soon - been meaning to do so for some time.

o. / 2008-01-21 06:31:52   

Anyone know a fix for thickbox on IE? (The background doesn't fade out in Internet Explorer 6 and 7.) Upgrade coming soon? Cheers.

simon / 2008-01-21 09:24:02   

Mine is working fine on ie 6 & 7.
Here is my css code :

#TB_overlay { position: absolute; z-index:100; top: 0px; left: 0px; background-color: #00ff8f; filter:alpha(opacity=85); -moz-opacity: 0.7; opacity: 0.75; min-height:100%; height: auto; _height:100%; /* pour IE 6 */ height : 1px; } /* pour les autres navigateurs */ * > #TB_overlay { height: auto; } /* pour IE 7 */ *+html #TB_overlay { min-height : 1px; }

> Example

Vaska A / 2008-01-21 09:28:39   

I'm researching a replacement for Thickbox. And, since Indexhibit is now framework agnostic maybe we'll use Prototype to make that one happen...

I've never been happy with Thickbox...nope.

macky666 / 2008-01-21 10:15:17   

Sorry to Hijack this thread Vaska, but my original thread is closed. I just thought you/other users may like to know, I fixed my problem by changing the transfer type from binary to auto detect :)

Thanks

Vaska A / 2008-01-21 10:50:44   

I was actually going to suggest that last night...and I forgot.

I'm really happy to hear you got it rolling - I knew it wasn't an Indexhibit problem.

o. / 2008-01-23 08:04:00   

Thanks guys. Your help has been most appreciated. Simon, your CSS code worked for me. Cheers!

webgiaguaro / 2008-01-31 18:07:43   

simon's code works for me to.
thanks.

www.andreapetrecca.net

explorer gives other problems... expecially with margin sets in css
i want to get text in content to be aligned with the text under the logo in the menu (on left) but while it works in safari and firefox i cannot do it on explorer!
any ideas?

p.s.
the thickbox can be very useful... which alternative are you working on, vaska?

webgiaguaro / 2008-01-31 18:14:03   

ehm...
http://www.andreapetrecca.net/projects/fiction-pyongyang/
look at this with explorer 7
or look at this
http://www.simonlagneaux.com/projects/quadrichromie/

there is still a problem with the overlay, it ends (in vertical) a few pixel under the thumbs.
if thumbs are in a low position (after a long text for example) it works good. otherwise the overlay cover less than half page...

Vaska A / 2008-01-31 18:25:52   

there is another one called shadowbox that looks really impressive. i might release this soon...i want to use it for something...

Vaska A / 2008-01-31 18:26:14   

maybe we can get simon to hatch that one up? simon, you too busy? ;)

myles / 2010-03-08 01:42:18   

hello,

1.) I'm an idiot. Sorry for being one. I'm working on it. If something below is a 100% bone-headed comment, I take full responsibility.

2.) My site: www.mylesdickasonphotography.com works fine in Safari, Firefox. Not in IE. The problems are several:

a.) Thickbox background is transparent which makes looking at pictures really distracting. I've changed all opacities in the ie.css file and in the jquery.thickbox.css file to 1 or 100 depending on browser. (ie completely opaque in all of them). No dice.

b.) on the homepage the title (Myles Dickason Photography) is a different font -- Times New Roman, the default, I believe -- in IE than in Safari and Firefox (Hei, helvetica, sans serif). I've tried to change all of the obvious places. Also, I "blacked out" the "Myles Dickason Photography" that is the indexhibit-mediated title of the page by making it the same color as the background of the page. I did this in the style.css sheet. Then, I added an h1 element in the index.php file and styled it via the style.css sheet. I did this so that I could manipulate the title and menu box independently of each other.

So, what I want to know is how to make the thickbox background opaque in IE, and make the font conform to my style sheet.

3.) As I'm sure you've noticed, there's no "Built with Indexhibit Site" link.--It's not gone, it's just because I can't figure out how to move it around on the page with the same absolute position dimensions as work for the other elements. I made it its own element in index.php, again so that I could manipulate it independently, but it won't go anywhere except top left corner, and I can't change the "a" style (hover, link, active, visited). "indexhibt" is blue--the default.

I've looked at the other postings and tried some of the suggestions, to no avail.

Can you throw me a bone?

maniart / 2011-01-02 00:06:49   

Hey everyone.

Couldn't agree more with Vaska. TB needs to go.
But for the time being, i'm using this little trick to simulate the background transparency:
Open up: ndxz-studio/site/css/jquery.thickbox.css
1.in your #TB_overlay, remove all the opacity-related lines.
2.in an image editing software e.g photoshop create a white transparent 1x1 px image with whatever opacity you like and save it as gif or png.
3.upload the transparent white little gif or png on your server.
4.add the following line to your jquery.thickbox.css: (fill in the background url property with the right value):

background:url('your-transparent-png-file-here.png') repeat fixed;

and you should be good to go.

HOW-EVAR:
IE6 does not support transparent images. in that case, use the great open source JS script by Dean Edwards called IE-7-JS:
http://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/
This script will have IE5 and 6 recognize transparent images.

You'll be able to find your way around TB. But, is it really worth it?

alison / 2011-04-14 15:09:13   

hello everyone,
I also use thickbox and with firefox/safari/chrome, it's perfect but with internet explorer (.6, .7, .8) I loose the background (and the transparency). Maniart, I've tried your trick, but I don't know exactly where to put the backgroung url and the repeat fixed thing? (I know it s in the jquery.thickbox.css but where exactly? Then If I use the JS script by Dean Edwards,

alison / 2011-04-14 15:10:08   

hello everyone,
I also use thickbox and with firefox/safari/chrome, it's perfect but with internet explorer (.6, .7, .8) I loose the background (and the transparency). Maniart, I've tried your trick, but I don't know exactly where to put the backgroung url and the repeat fixed thing? (I know it s in the jquery.thickbox.css but where exactly? Then If I use the JS script by Dean Edwards,

alison / 2011-04-14 15:12:20   

the end of the question: Then If I use the JS script by Dean Edwards, where do I have to put it? I'm sorry, I m a bit lost...Can you help me?
My website: www.alisonanselot.com

alison / 2011-04-15 02:09:18   

please help me... :-)

alison / 2011-04-19 02:58:14   

anyone can help me? please, i m lost...

blameme / 2011-04-19 04:37:29   

Hi alison, you just need to put the script in the < head> section of your themes index.php

alison / 2011-04-19 08:39:11   

Thanks a lot! :-) i'm gonna try it...

alison / 2011-04-19 09:51:40   

One more thing: for the background url in the jquery css, is this seems to be correct?

#TB_overlay {
    position: absolute;
    z-index:100;
    top: 0px;
    left: 0px;
    background-color:#FFF;
    background: url(http://ftp.cluster006.ovh.net/www/files/transparent.gif) ;
    min-height:100%;
    height: auto;
    _height:100%;

Or do I have to create a #TB_background { and there add the url?
Thanks for helping me.....

alison

alison / 2011-04-19 09:54:25   

One more thing: for the background url in the jquery css, is this seems to be correct?

#TB_overlay {
    position: absolute;
    z-index:100;
    top: 0px;
    left: 0px;
    background-color:#FFF;
    background: url(http://ftp.cluster006.ovh.net/www/files/transparent.gif) ;
    min-height:100%;
    height: auto;
    _height:100%;

Or do I have to create a #TB_background { and there add the url?
Thanks for helping me.....

alison

Vaska A / 2011-04-19 13:06:14   

I don't believe you need to be messing with all of those things. I think you should have left it and validated the page first.

This is the first time I've seen a complaint like this ...ummm...haha...

I'm not sure what to say actually. IE8 was rather solid - I still think it's a small improper code thing and validating is the way to go.

alison / 2011-04-19 16:57:25   

Ok thanks vaska, i'm gonna check my code (i'm not an expert :-)
Thanks a lot ofr the answer!

alison / 2011-04-19 17:13:12   

Ok I just checked my page with firebug. There's something wrong but I'don't know what it means exactly, can you help me?
My website is www.alisonanselot.com.
If I go into a section (for example: serie > seaside) It shows the thumbnails, I click on one of them and then I check it with firebug and this is what is written (in red :-) ):

e.style is undefined
[Stopper sur une erreur] eval(function(p,a,c,k,e,d){e=function(...th|absolute|PI|left'.split('|'),0,{}))
jquery.js (ligne 12)

what does it mean (that something is wrong but what do I have to do to make it works? :-)

Thanks for your help, again :-)

alison / 2011-04-20 03:52:43   

anyone? :-)

Vaska A / 2011-04-20 05:15:46   

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you have expandingMenu() code where you don't even need them. You only have 5 or 6 that need to be there...but you have specified 10?

This is going to be tough to resolve so you will need to try alot of things. One browser, IE8 no less, in between 6, 7, 9, 10, etc...this is a very odd problem. I wonder if people will have advice on the Thickbox forum...as it is their code that is the issue (unless the expandingmenu() thing is breaking it).

This thread has been closed, thank you.