thumbnails

heesco / 2009-03-22 08:28:12   

Hi,

i must be doing something wrong, cause when i upload images the thumbnails don't show at all, i get broken image holders. how can i fix this? i used firefox initially, but later tried it with safari and still don't work.
in firefox, when i upload an image it doesn't give me any thumbnails at all, it just says 'edit' instead of the thumbnails. in safari, it actually displays squares with question marks where the thumbnails should be. i'm pretty new to indexhibit, and have no idea about coding and css.
please help?

Vaska A / 2009-03-22 09:04:32   

Can you show us your site.

heesco / 2009-03-22 20:55:32   

http://www.heesco.net/
i had the images in 'over and over' gallery setting, as to avoid the thumbnail problem. i've changed it to 'grow' so you can see the problem.

Vaska A / 2009-03-22 21:30:36   

Not sure what's up but it's clearly a permissions issue...can't view the files on your site. It's beyond Indexhibit...and unfortunately...it might not work on your site.

heesco / 2009-03-22 23:11:14   

oh noooo...
permissions issue with my internet service providers? i've checked with them about the specs and they told me that everything is fine. i can see the files once i click on the broken image holders, it's just the thumbnails are not working.

Vaska A / 2009-03-22 23:18:43   

We've seen this a few times...not all servers are the same even if they meet the same requirements.

The easy fix...go into your files and gimgs folders and change all the files to have permissions of 0644 - they they should work. BUT, you will still have the same problem every time you upload files (so you will need to do it each time).

Could you send me a note about this and I'll try to work with you directly to contact your host about this...I'd like to know why it doesn't work as well...

contact [at] indexhibit [dot] org

Vaska A / 2009-03-24 22:07:12   

As a follow-up to this we solved the problem. It's partially a bug with Indexhibit and partially how this particular server works. We needed to force permissions explicitly onto the image, thumbnail and system thumbnail. So, in the /ndxz-studio/module/exhibits/index.php file at line 1411 we changed to these:

1. @chmod($IMG->path . '/' . $IMG->filename, 0644);
  2. @chmod($IMG->path . '/th-' . $IMG->filename, 0644);
  3. @chmod($IMG->path . '/sys-' . $IMG->filename, 0644);

This won't necessarily work on all servers, but if you are having this problem it's worth a try.

Adam76 / 2009-06-10 21:01:08   

Hi Vaska A,
It's been working all the time perfectly until I have checked it now. My site is totaly blank?! Why?
On "preview" in Exhibit is blank, too. Only you can see images when you go to "edit".
What is wrong? What happened?

Please help.

Adam

clem / 2009-06-24 15:57:13   

Hi Vaska,
I am experiencing the same problem people are relating above.
I contacted my server, I tried everyhthing they said, I've tried as well what you advised to do...and it is still not working when I am uploading my files, the preview is perfect and then on my website they still appear with the small square and question mark.
what should I do?
thank you in advance

Vaska A / 2009-06-24 16:15:17   

What is your site?

clem / 2009-06-24 18:56:18   

www.clemencejoly.com

the first image works, the other ones don't.
because the first one has been changed by my server.

srge / 2009-07-19 21:40:06   

i just made a post to the forum. I think its probable that my site is experiencing the same problem.
how can i solve it? should i change info on line 1411?

jordan6s / 2009-09-29 01:02:30   

I am experiencing a similar problem, where the photos upload to the gimgs directory but the thumbnail area is not working. It's strange because the thumbnails for my background images are ok. The permissions are all right- the directories are 777 and the files are 644. Is it a problem if I only have three digits to set the permissions?

jordan5s / 2009-09-30 22:05:01   

My webhost says that the problem might be that my PHP server is in 'safe mode' for security issues. This is resulting in my images uploading, but being owned by the server, which restricts my permission writing ability. The problem is that the server doesn't want people uploading files other than images (like PHP's and other scripts)- does the PHP have to be out of safe mode for image uploading and thumbnails to work?

madelinde / 2009-10-15 14:42:36   

I had the same problems and my web hosting change a dir file and then it was solved.. So no 777 acces problem, nog safe mode.. but.. a directory problem

zaron / 2010-08-16 02:56:38   

I had a similar problem - Images wouldn't display nor the thumbnails in the editing gooey.

for some reason indexhibit created bad htaccess files in both the

/public_html/files folder

and the

/public_html/files/gimgs folder

I renamed these htaccess.old so they wouldn't load and this solved the images not displaying.

The htaccess files seem to have been generated automatically and at a weird time - 3am on saturday morning. I definitely wasn't working on the site then so find it strange this would happen - does anyone know of automated update action with indexhibit that would cause this?

arsondpi / 2010-08-16 05:52:07   

edit: please read the forum rules.

amandaclee / 2010-10-07 13:53:03   

When I upload images I get '500 internal error' message.... the image uploads to my site sometimes...sometimes it doesn't but I can never see them and I get the error half the time. I've changed permissions and changed code at 1411.... I don't seem to have any strange htaccess files but still having problems. suggestions?

arsondpi / 2010-10-07 14:36:02   

How about starting by telling us your site address?
The kind of images you uploadingare they: RGB, in jpg/png/gif format, 72dpi resolution and under 400Kb in size?

jadeheritage / 2010-11-25 05:58:36   

Hello, I also have this problem.
\nwww.jadeheritage.co.uk

\n\n

The first few weeks I had indexhibit, the image upload tool worked. It then stopped working and instead I just used the file uploader and put them in, however I wish I could take advantage of the really nice image layouts in the \'exhibition format\' drop down menu.

\n\n

I tried to insert these as instructed above;

\n\n

@chmod($IMG->path . \'/\' . $IMG->filename, 0644);
\n@chmod($IMG->path . \'/th-\' . $IMG->filename, 0644);
\n@chmod($IMG->path . \'/sys-\' . $IMG->filename, 0644);

\n\n

I had to add the second two, as I only had

\n\n

@chmod($IMG->path . \'/\' . $IMG->filename, 0644);

\n\n

on the entire php file?

\n\n

However, no change. I then tried to individually change the permissions of the uploaded files to 644 (via ftp program) in the hope that when I reupload with the same file name, it will already see that it has the right permissions and make it work.

\n\n

However, that\'s a stupid idea and it didn\'t work!

\n\n

Once the uploading gets to 100% (I see it loading at the bottom) it then goes blank and the button for uploading images disappears.

\n\n

I then tried my boyfriends website (he is on a different server) and he has no problems whatsoever. So basically, is it my server, and what do I need to ask them? My Dad actually owns the server so it should be quite simple, he has free reign on it but maybe there are certain permissions that he has blocked so I can\'t take full control of my site?

\n\n

Thanks in advance.

jadeheritage / 2010-11-25 05:59:29   

Sorry about the /n/n\'s, how annoying.

starrynightvm / 2011-08-18 10:38:38   

I'm having the problem where instead of the image thumbnail, the page is displaying the image file name.

You can see examples of what I'm talking about at the following screenshot links.

Thumbnail:
http://www.veronicagledhill.com/screenshot1.png

Expanded Image:
http://www.veronicagledhill.com/Screenshot2.png

Upload Field:
http://www.veronicagledhill.com/Screenshot3.png

Here is the actual link:
http://veronicagledhill.com/new/index.php?/inspiration/a-propos-de/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pernin / 2011-08-19 02:04:28   

can't see the problem, maybe you solved it already? this kind of problem would be a pathing issue with the thumbnails, usually un-publish/re-publish solves it (deleting and re-uploading the image also solves it)

starrynightvm / 2011-08-19 10:02:25   

Hi, it wasn't a problem before but any time i try to upload a new image, it does this problem which is exhibited in the screenshots.

I had to take down the problem image because I have potential clients looking at the site and I CANT have bugs showing.

Yes I tried un-publish and republishing and it still exhibits this problem in screen shot 1.

pernin / 2011-08-19 11:25:41   

difficult to examine the code behind when it's a screenshot... looks as if it is not creating the thumbnails, of course, but why...

trying to narrow down the prob:
- the same behaviour for all new images in this page or only for some?
- is it the same for other pages with other exhibition formats?
- is it the same if you change exhibition format for this page?
- if you make a new page and choose this same exhibition format, does it display the same behaviour?

geneticboi / 2011-12-09 13:26:34   

Hi.

So I've been having this problem for the past 2 months and it prevented me to upload/update any new work.

I would make a new section for my work and goes in to editing it and upload images into that section, this is where the problem starts... I would select the images to upload, then click upload, and once it uploads, the icons/thumbnails for the photos won't show, as well as when I click preview to see how it looks on my website, the icons/thumbnails won't show either.

I have not publish it yet because I don't want people to view my portfolio when the thumbnails are messed up like that. Though, here's my website: WWW.GENETICBOI.COM

I have uploaded some screencaps for you to see if you can help me with it:

1) I go to select my images --- http://i39.tinypic.com/xghze9.png
2) Once they uploaded, the thumbnails won't show --- http://i41.tinypic.com/j5jv4m.png
3) In preview, the thumbnails won't show either --- http://i41.tinypic.com/14d298x.png

It all went smoothly before when I created all the other sections, I don't know why it's acting up now. So odd.

Thanks!
Q

geneticboi / 2011-12-09 13:58:52   

OK, never mind. I just scrolled up and read through to find similar problems and I did what Vaska did, by changing the module index to this:

@chmod($IMG->path . '/' . $IMG->filename, 0644);
@chmod($IMG->path . '/th-' . $IMG->filename, 0644);
@chmod($IMG->path . '/sys-' . $IMG->filename, 0644);

It works for now.
Thanks Vaska!

This thread has been closed, thank you.