How to adjust margin and padding

Vaska A / 2009-05-12 11:12:58   

We'll turn this into more of a real tutorial later...this is a very fast bried on the issue...

When customizing your Indexhibit site it is very important to know that you should not ever adjust the paddings #menu or #content. And for that matter, unless you understand what you are doing (knowledge of the box model and more specifically how the template works) you should not be adjusting the margin settings on #menu and #content as well.

How do you add padding then?

Simply use .container but you can add rules to target specifically the container for either the #menu or #content divs. Like this...

1. #menu .container { padding: 21px 0 21px 21px; }
  2. #content .container { padding 21px; }

A clarification - when you see four numbers for the padding it starts at the top and works it way around clockwise - top, right, bottom, left. When you see only one number it represents all four at the same time.

By understanding these relatively simple rules you can avoid a ton of confusion and messed up displays of your site.

We'll add more to this over time. I'm adding this to the Useful Threads post as well.

Please do not ask questions in this thread - it is purely for information. Thanks.

Vaska A / 2009-05-12 11:20:45   

If you wish to adjust the width of your Index/menu you must also adjust the margin-left of the #content div accordingly (they should be the same value) in your style.css file. Additionally, you must update the ie.css file with the same values...

If you want to force older versions of Internet Explorer to play well with the width of your Index this is a helpful piece of javascript you can work into your site:

JS fix for IE6 menu width issues

jpiercy / 2011-03-09 19:09:39   

a few questions related to piercydesign.com:

1. i´ve adjusted the menu 20px to the right, now want to do the same with logo and post nav text
2. i want my orange logo to link back to a main or home page with a static (background?) image. currently the image is incorrectly linked to the exhibition named "...."

i presume answer to #1 has to do with margins?
and with #2 i´m going in circles.

thanks and this forum is great!!

jpiercy / 2011-03-09 19:10:39   

sorry Vaska A, didn´t mean to post a question here

This thread has been closed, thank you.