Create full-browser background img

SludgeDesign / 2009-09-23 13:50:42   
for istance the same bg remains even if you load another page from the main..

resolved
arsondpi / 2009-09-23 14:28:10   

Thomas (definingform) would you share here or a new post?

SludgeDesign / 2009-09-23 14:31:31   

definingform share it with us! very cool plugin!!!

SludgeDesign / 2009-09-23 14:32:55   

arsondpi it's all ok.. look HERE

definingform / 2009-09-23 17:50:32   

Hey,

Sure i'll share as soon as I've checked with my friend exactly what needs to be included etc.

I'll post as soon as it's ready!

Cheers

:)

cblearner / 2009-09-28 12:03:28   

hello

Does have anyone have any ideas on why the full background image isn't working on my website?

Webpage

I have downloaded arsondpi's useful tutorial and followed all the steps. Wasn't sure whereabouts to put the css so i just put it near the top-is that the issue? Or is it more to do with the cms? I have uploaded a background image under "test" and it is "backgrounded" and i am on the "sample" theme.

You advice would be much appreciated...

7 / 2009-09-28 12:08:47   

Hi cblearner

I can't see a "#the-background" div on your html (unless i've missed it) That needs to be there, right? ;)

go over arsondpi's instructions again. Point for point and you'll get it.

cblearner / 2009-09-28 12:29:57   

Thanks 7

I just followed the steps again just to make sure, and it still isn't working. In fact now the menu has become disabled.

I have been using Firebug to see what other people have done with their css, but i find it hard to read other people's html/php to see where I am going wrong.

Just recap on what I just did;
4. Exactly after the tag of index.php, add the following

I added it at the body tag near the end of the code not the one located half way down...

Vaska A / 2009-09-28 12:36:53   

Try those additions before the closing 'body' tag. If they come after that body tag they will not work.

cblearner / 2009-09-28 12:57:26   

Hi Vaska

Thanks for your suggestion, which I am pretty sure have done but still no joy?

I would copy the code in here, but that isn't allowed is it?

All I really want to do is have a full page image on the home page only (not any other pages)

moss / 2009-09-28 13:03:52   

@cblearner:

i spoke to definingform earlier and he will be sharing his plugin later today (see above) that will do the trick for you ;-)

moss

cblearner / 2009-09-28 13:06:31   

oh cool, thanks I will keep a look out for that :)

cblearner / 2009-09-29 10:11:01   

By doing the Random Background main page plug in, i have achieved what i wanted.
Instead of having several images I only use one image so it doesn't change. I'm sure it is pretty obvious to most, but i thought i'd mention it incase someone got stuck like me :)

theongoingmoment / 2009-10-07 04:21:48   

I'm not sure if there's more to this post that I can't seem to see for some reason, but did anyone post a plugin for random full browser background images? I would love to implement it on my site.

Max_Milne_Photography / 2009-10-15 04:22:38   

Hello, where do i find from the below quote? I am all stuck with following the directions....first time in attempting this for me!

"Open index.php of your theme. Before the of index.php, find this line:

and replace it with this: "

Thank you,

Max

arsondpi / 2009-10-15 09:10:39   

....the index.php file of the theme you're using....
The instructions are clear. If they seem fuzzy maybe it's better to get a friend to help you out....

emuneck / 2009-10-27 18:50:02   

Hi All,

Is there a tutorial anywhere or any step by step instructions for this background image thing. I know it says loads of stuff in this thread, but honestly I've come along way in learning things to customize my site but this lots gobbledygook to me.

I've seen it on a few sites and it looks great but I honestly didn't think it would be this complicated just to have a picture as the backdrop, I thought I could do it in HTML.

Can anyone make it a little bit clearer I know some HTML and CSS but anything else haven't a clue! Do I have to make a plug in?

Any help appreciated,

EmuNeck

arsondpi / 2009-10-27 19:07:36   

full-browser background plugin.
Read the Do me first file...

emuneck / 2009-10-27 19:16:54   

Thanks that's great I'm just going to read it now.

emuneck / 2009-10-27 19:29:10   

OK I read it. Where do I get these from?

"plugin.full_background.php" and "full_background.js"

The rest seems pretty straight forward. At the end it says "Upload a background image in one of your exhibits" is that any exhibit?

Thanks

emuneck / 2009-10-27 20:06:26   

Maybe I shouldn't have done this after 4 cans of Carlsberg Export! I have the bloody things on my desktop! Though nice beer by the way.

emuneck / 2009-10-28 11:12:52   

Good Morning All,

Thanks Arsondpi for your link it has made things very easy for me.

Because I'm now not drinking larger I have managed to get pretty far with it! The only problem I have is that the back ground image isn't re-sizing to the screen when I pull the window in and out. What do I need to change to make it work?

Oh by the way I uploaded the background image to "Background Image 2 MB max" above "Additional Settings" just in case this isn't the right place.

Thanks, EmuNeck.

emuneck / 2009-10-28 12:12:07   

Here's a link to my site www.markwebsterphotography.com

arsondpi / 2009-10-28 12:17:44   

updatejquerytothelatestversion-updatejquerytothelatestversion-updatejquerytothelatestversion.
Don't ask how - search the forum/the web...

I went out for cocktails last night. Don't drink and code. It's not fun the morning after...
Haven't you seen Hangover ?

andres / 2009-10-28 13:38:36   

hey!
i have the same question. my random background images are not re-sizing when i change the window size.
What do I need to change to make it work?
Thanks a lot!

arsondpi / 2009-10-28 13:51:04   

did you read my answer above? -updatejquerytothelatestversion.

emuneck / 2009-10-28 14:53:39   

Thanks Arsondpi, I will do some research into updating my jquery to the latest version. I have a feeling this may take a while.

That film looks good, if I had seen it in Blockbusters the other night I would have rented it!

emuneck / 2009-10-28 20:49:34   

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved in creating this pluggin it works great! Much appreciated.

mrad / 2009-10-28 22:05:36   

I was trying to load the script according to
arsondpi's great directions on 2009-10-27 19:07:36, but I don't seem to have an index.php in my Eatock theme. Since that's the theme I have set up I would like to stick with it. Does anyone have the index.php for Eatock or can I perhaps copy it from the samply Theme or is it completely different?
Thanks,
Matthew

Dario / 2009-10-28 22:08:38   

Hi Arsondpi,

I did all the steps of your post, I managed to full background, but is repeated in all my pages.
What happens?
www.dariozeruto.com

Thanks a lot!!!!

emuneck / 2009-10-28 22:39:32   

mrad I would copy whatever you have changed in your style.css from the Eatock folder over to the style.css in sample folder and use that instead.

mrad / 2009-10-28 23:38:05   

So I tried to copy over the style.css from my Eatock into the Sample folder. Then uploaded the plugin.full_background.php in the plugins folder and uploaded full_background.js in the js folder. I then changed the index.php in the sample folder and added the background info into the style.css (do I add that information at the very bottom of teh style.css?).
It still did not work.
Any other ideas??? Maybe I can bring the index.php from the Sample to the Eatock folder? Or is that a bad idea?

emuneck / 2009-10-28 23:55:53   

Did you upload a background image? and did you change the theme to Sample. Sorry I know there obvious but it may be something you forgot. If you put all the code in the right places it should work. You can add it the css info at the bottom of style.css that's where mine is.

mrad / 2009-10-29 00:12:26   

Yah I have an image uploaded and folloed the instruction very closely. There really were very clear I thought but when I add the script at the end of the style.css the image covers the whole page and does not resize... I'm not sure what to change in the script or if I might have done something else wrong. This is my site
MRAD
when I add the script to the style.css

mrad / 2009-10-29 00:14:17   

I do have exhibits and sections, but the image is now covering it up when I add the script to the style.css now...

mrad / 2009-10-29 00:32:41   

Ok I got the side menu up... but still can't get the background image to expand and contract with the window size... sorry! Any ideas here?! I've been reading all the threads but after trying most of it I can't seem to get it working.

emuneck / 2009-10-29 00:37:48   

You most likely need the latest version of jquery for the resizing issue. jquery.com

Not sure why your menu is being covered up, I've had a look at your style sheet and I can't see what it is. I'll take a look again in the morning.

arsondpi / 2009-10-29 00:49:47   

Hey guys, I posted a download link further up. It's got everything you need - the files and the instructions. You need to update jquery and you'll be good to go..

mrad / 2009-10-29 00:53:23   

Hey thanks alot... I downloaded the newest version. Do I just replace that with the old version in my js folder?

mrad / 2009-10-29 00:55:56   

Nevermind! Thanks so much for the help guys! It's working...

sawatzki / 2009-10-29 14:26:38   

Post edited by ArsonDPI by request of sawatzki - Please read next post!!!

sawatzki / 2009-10-29 15:10:13   

///Maybe a mod could delete my previous, badly formatted post? thx! ;-) ///

Ok, many of us want random full-screen bg images. So I thought, I might aswell give it a try.

I headed over to definingforms site to study his source code and installed the fullscreen - and the random plugins from Vaska.

Then, i carefully studied how either of them work in my website.

1: The random image loader outputs 2 things: the variable $show, which is in fact the url to the randomly chosen image, and the variable $style, in which the url from $show is set as background picture with some attributes.
As input, it uses a path (relative to the site root) to a specified folder, from which the images are chosen.

2: The fullscreen backgrounder plugin has no input.
It acquires the background-image of the exibition it is called from and scales it with the javascript to fit the browser window.
The output is a simple html-image-tag in the the-background division, which is styled by css in the main stylesheet.

So, what I wanted, was that a random image was displayed full-screen in all exhibitions that didn't have their own background set in Exhibition CMS.

My second objective was, that if there was a Background-image chosen in the Exhibition CMS, it should aswell be displayed full-screen.

Well, i gave it a shot, even though i'm a total n00b in php and js..
and: IT WORKS! :-)

Here's the new plugin:

(Sorry, I don't grasp the concept of the code-tags in this board... i've put the plugin php file as .txt on my site to read / download...)

Here's my Step-By-Step:

1. Download

sawatzki / 2009-10-29 15:13:25   

...oops... here's the how-to again:

arsondpi / 2009-10-29 18:47:12   

This is the sawatzki's test page.
I expect everybody to say thank you for sharing.
Thank you sawatzki.

Dario / 2009-10-30 09:46:51   

Hi Arsondpi,

I did all the steps of your post, I managed to full background, but is repeated in all my pages.
What happens?
www.dariozeruto.com

Thanks a lot!!!!

arsondpi / 2009-10-30 11:16:21   

...errr - you copied/pasted your question again...!

did you read my answer above? -update jquery to the latest version.

sawatzki / 2009-10-30 16:10:14   

hey arsondpi, is there a possibility for me to edit my long post so the links work right and such? that would be amazing! ;-)

It was my first post to this board after all, and I wasn't aware of how it all works layout-wise...

In the meantime, have fun using random_full_background.php! ;-)

KyleSchroeder / 2009-10-30 16:49:58   

Hey, I seem to be having the same problems as mrad. My background is covering up the menu. I have downloaded the package to do this correctly and followed the DO me first instructions. Any help would be great. Here is my site. Kyleschroeder.net. Just to double check to upgrade jquery you download the newest file and rename it to jquery.js and replace existing correct? Thank you for the help!

KyleSchroeder / 2009-10-30 18:28:46   

nevermind Figured it out! Thanks!!

samir / 2009-10-31 06:09:41   

hi there i have been reading thru this post and i have downloaded the plugin, followed the do this first list,
but i m unable to get the full background working.
here is my site

please have a look and tell me what i am doing wrong.
regards
samir

This thread has been closed, thank you.