IE is ruining my life

Dirmface / 2009-07-28 14:37:43   

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody could please help me with my internet explorer issue. Site looks perfect in Firefox and safari but messes up in ie. The menu overlaps the main content frame.

Many Thanks.

www.Soupitin.com

Vaska A / 2009-07-28 14:39:48   

Well, you are doing some things in your customization that aren't right...in the Useful Threads post I put a link to a short post about the correct ways to style #menu and #content...start there.

;)

Dirmface / 2009-07-28 14:49:06   

Thanks for the direction Vaska. Appreciate it!

Dirmface / 2009-07-28 16:25:56   

Sorry about this but i'm still struggling. It's a miracle of god i got the collapse menu to work at all to be honest. Any chance you could be more specific to the things in my customization that aren't right?

Thanks.

Vaska A / 2009-07-28 16:28:41   

You can not style #menu or #container with padding or margin or even changing top and left on #menu. Style their .containers...

There are tons of threads around here about these customizations as well.

Dirmface / 2009-07-28 16:30:12   

The menu overlap problem seems to be in ie7 mainly i think.

Dirmface / 2009-07-28 16:39:04   

Fixed it. Thanks for your help and the quick responses. :)

Vaska A / 2009-07-28 16:43:38   

What was not fixed? How about sharing with future people...

Dirmface / 2009-07-29 11:44:35   

Sorry, yea it was an issue with styling on #menu like you said. I had tried to increase the margin on another occasion, so i just removed that and now it looks perfect in internet explorer. Thanks again.

Vaska A / 2009-07-29 14:25:17   

Great...so for future readers...my note above applies...it's useful info.

Cheers

Lashford82 / 2009-07-31 19:29:47   

Hey Vaska,

Scoured the threads and Google on IE6 and how it can mess with your life. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate your help.

1) I've installed the ie.js setup from another thread that you advised on. I've tried to take out top and left measurements in my #menu / #content and use ones you suggested, and have changed every other value to try and keep the menu in place, but can't get my menu to float / scoot down to where it is now (www.michaellashford.com) by adjusting padding in my .containers. No matter what I change, the blue box / menu always goes up to the upper left corner, and the content will move down. And of course in IE6, it's a mess. The blue of the menu disappears completely and a strip where the menu kind of is, appears just white and blocks out background image. I'm guessing I'm missing something small, can you take a look?

2) Should we even worry about coding our sites to work with IE6? Research I've found says only 11/12% of people are still using it, and I'm guessing that number will go down daily. And it's slated to become unsupported by MS a year from now. Is it worth our time?

3) My site works okay on IE8. My menu has a rounded corner that works great on Safari and Firefox, but does not work in IE8. Is there a similar rounded corner code (like used in my CSS) for IE? Or would I have to mess with corner images and divs, etc?

4) On some computers, my slideshow images, when changing, fade in somewhat choppy. Is this a connection / processor speed issue, or a I-have-sloppy-code issue? I know I need to validate my site and clean up errors, but when I've gone to the validation site I've found in these forums, there are a ton and I'm just not sure which to follow, or all.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

canelson / 2009-08-09 16:03:37   

... IE is ruining everyone's life.

Vaska A / 2009-08-10 08:21:43   

In bigger numbers...people are finally beginning to drop support for IE6.

jasmu / 2009-08-12 11:38:00   

to make people switch from ie6 to a good browser use http://browser-update.org/ it shows a small bar telling people to upgrade.

This thread has been closed, thank you.