Images flash before slideshow loads

masood / 2009-08-07 15:11:39   

Hello,

This is something I've been trying to figure out on my own, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

When you click on a section on my site, for a fraction of a second all images appear down the page and then they disappear when the page is fully loaded. If there are captions, the captions all appear one after another and then disappear. It's worse on slow machines and slow internet connections.

On a related note, I'm using Ross Cairn's expanding menus and when you click on a section, all of the menus first show completely expanded for a second and then it appears correctly (with the current category opened and all others collapsed).

I feel like this has something to do with when jQuery is loading... the order of something is off. I'm pretty sure it's probably something I did wrong.

I've tried fiddling around with the slideshow plugin (pretty complicated). I went to iwakami, which is awesome (and beautifully written), but I need prev/next buttons because the width of my images is so variable.I tried updating my version of jQuery... then updated my version of the cycle plugin... all to no avail.

I'll continue to plug away at it, but have any of you seen this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Best,
Masood

Here's the link: masoodkamandy.com

masood / 2009-08-07 15:53:17   

Seems like the expanding menus thing went away... perhaps with the newer version of jQuery.

Good examples of the slideshow flashing problem are also:

Example 1 (Lots of captions)

Example 2 (Again... lots of captions)

Vaska A / 2009-08-07 17:23:50   

hi masood:

you are right...this 'flashing' is caused by how the cycle plugin works. what it does is take the list of images and then processes them as soon as it can while the page is loading. it's possible that on a slower connection or perhaps a heavy page with many images you will get this flashing.

what can you do about this? not much...except re-engineer how it works. another option, and somebody around here is already working on it, is to only load the first image and caption and then load all others on the fly via javascript/jquery.

or, a more simple solution, and i don't know if this will work, would be to take all images after the first image/caption combo and give them a display: none from the plugin directly. of course, you will have to wait for them to load on the page...the more images you have...etc...same kind of problem as you had in the beginning.

overall, the web is still not instantaneous in it's delivery. when i am looking at these pages from your site though i'm not seeing the flashing...although, i do have to wait for the images to load. this plugin can be engineered better...it will be in the future.

masood / 2009-08-07 18:33:01   

Thanks Vaska,
This is enormously helpful!
I'll fiddle with the plugin to try your display: none suggestion and see what I can come up with.
Happy Friday.
Masood

This thread has been closed, thank you.