Horizontal Menus in IE

isaacgertman / 2009-08-28 20:58:13   

Hello all.

There has been discussion of this before (I have read the previous postings),
but never resolution: I have a site with working horizontal navigation, and
am trying to figure out how to make it work in IE.

Question 1: Has anyone figured out a way to make their menu display inline
in IE? (Dropdowns or no dropdowns) This is a pretty basic thing that, but I think
it would at least get the party started. (I have not figured this out yet)

Question 2: Has anyone figured out a way how to make dropdown menus work in IE?
My thought was to somehow try to implement suckerfish menus for the IE css, but frankly, I'm not sure if that will work for just the IE stylesheet. Any help/thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

I will be happy to put this all together for the group when it comes together. Seriously.

the site is here:

www.djalbrecht.com

many thanks and best wishes

Isaac Gertman

Vaska A / 2009-08-28 21:01:13   

1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Making this kind of a menu is simple...but you need to understand html/css/javascript to display it. And you need to know PHP to create the menu code.

We have a plugin around here we're planning to release...but things are rather busy.

isaacgertman / 2009-08-28 21:11:50   

Sorry. The url is djalbrecht.com/dev

Now you actually have something to look at.

2. Yes

Was that yes to use Suckerfish for the IE styles?

best,

/i

Vaska A / 2009-08-28 21:16:52   

Yup. Using a javascript just for the bad IE's does the trick.

For months I had a demo of this on our demo site...I took it down because it was causing some chaos.

isaacgertman / 2009-08-28 21:21:12   

Thanks!

I'm going to try to try to figure this out over the weekend, and will share any successes.

/i

Vaska A / 2009-08-28 21:23:33   

Ok, I put it on the demo again...if you don't see it you can set the theme called 'Horizontal'. Now, this wasn't working 100%. I think IE's still had some issue...I can't remember. The new one we created was part of the lab though...we added something and it was working just fine. I think it was something obvious it needed. I don't have time to dig up that code right now...

It's probably very similar to what you have as well.

eiaa / 2009-09-28 07:01:55   

Has anyone got ahead with this one - the site mentioned above still fails in IE. I would hugely appreciate if someone can help to keep this going. Or perhaps Master Vaska may rediscover the working code he previously produced. Thank you for your time.

iwakami / 2009-09-28 08:06:13   

i red around here in the forum (some time ago) about someone that developed some horizontal menu. you need to search it.

eiaa / 2009-09-28 09:43:14   

Thanks for your response. I believe that the one which you referring is not working in IE:
http://www.indexhibit.org/forum/thread/2519/

There is another tread over here with no final word posted:
http://www.indexhibit.org/forum/thread/1097/

Or have I missed something and there is really a working version which you are referring to?

iwakami / 2009-09-28 10:01:13   

yeah, it's the first one. seems it didn't turned out ok...
people need to finish what they start, or else it's just a piece of code wandering around the forum.

bad luck, mate :(

eiaa / 2009-09-28 11:46:53   

So I guess it will be either - hunt for a brain transplant or hope on Vaska. Anyway thanks for responding.

Promotional offer:
one brain - not too smart for a better one ; )

Vaska A / 2009-09-28 12:24:31   

I tried doing this via the forum and actually asking or help - but it didn't really happen. Waiting for me to find code is something people should not be doing...I'm buried in so many other things involving all of this.

This thread has been closed, thank you.