Expanding Menu for other items

Glyph / 2009-09-16 15:10:11   

Hi guys,

I'm looking to use the expanding menu code (from Ross Cairns) for some other page elements. In particular, I have some text I'd like to appear in the main content area, consisting of a title and a description. I'd like it so that when you click on the title, the description slides open below it. Similar to the code used in a menu.

I am hoping someone can guide me on how the javascript should be edited. I have tried lots of variations, but can't make it work.

The current piece of code which references the menu id is:

var item_title = $("#menu ul").eq(num).children(":first");
var items = $("#menu ul").eq(num).children().filter(function (index) { return index > 0; });

I'd like to add a second menu that I want to appear in the content area. I thought I'd be able to add the id (#content ul) to the above code as follows:

var item_title = $("#menu ul, #content ul").eq(num).children(":first");
var items = $("#menu ul, #content ul").eq(num).children().filter(function (index) { return index > 0; });

Obviously this isn't correct. I'm not a programmer, so I'm just guessing things trial and error style.

If anyone can shed light on the right way to do it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
G

Vaska A / 2009-09-16 15:16:59   

This is much more simple than this...Jquery is your friend...you could do something like this...

1. When you click on <a href='#' onclick="$('#showit').toggle();">me</a> I show more info.

And then, add your text with a container - the . represent a blank space, you need it:

1. <div id='showit'>
  2. .
  3. It's magic!
  4. .
  5. </div>

Done. Try it...cut and paste...

;)

Glyph / 2009-09-16 15:22:34   

Wow, this is nearly the solution. I just tried it, however when it loads, the contents of #showit are visible. I want them hidden until the user clicks on the title.

Glyph / 2009-09-16 15:24:23   

Also... this doesn't slide the #showit div into place. It just shows/hides instantly. I'd like it consistent with the way the expanding menu slides.

Vaska A / 2009-09-16 15:31:27   

Woops...

1. <div id='showit' style='display: none;'>

That's all I'm doing. Research Jquery and 'toggle' and from there you will find a world of other things you are looking for.

;)

Glyph / 2009-09-16 15:40:42   

Thanks so much Vaska. That's done what I wanted. I also just found that changing toggle to slideToggle, makes it animate smoothly.

It does need me to use more code than I had hoped in the actual text area of the admin module though. It just increases risk of my client accidentally breaking it.

Is there any way to hide the a href='#' onclick="$('#showit').toggle();" somewhere else?

Vaska A / 2009-09-16 15:42:11   

Yes, if you learn how to use Jquery you can do that.

Glyph / 2009-09-16 15:44:24   

Ok thanks I'll look into it. It's very challenging learning these things but also rewarding. I'm just a little grasshopper.

Glyph / 2009-09-17 01:41:40   

Ok so I think I worked it out. I put this in the head of the index page:

$(document).ready(function(){

$('#title').click(function () {
    $('#show').slideToggle();

});
});

This way the only thing that needs to be entered into the admin text module is. A little bit neater, and works like a treat.

Title to click onText content to show.

Now if only I can work out how to make the cursor change to a hand when you hover over the #title.

Vaska A / 2009-09-17 07:26:18   

Very nice work - see, not so hard when you dig in.

Just add a style to #title...something like...

1. #title { cursor: pointer; }
lomoi / 2010-12-02 14:16:41   
  1. Hello everyone
  2. Can anyone help me...i have one issue, I made my expanding menu on the description area writing by the way Vaska make the cut and paste code
  3. 1.</font><a href='#' onclick="$('#showit').toggle();">+ info</a>

the thing is that i´m using the iwakami 3 plugin and I changed the text below the images....everything was ok but I noticed that when i click the images from the last one to the first one strange things happen like the images dissapearing or duplicating the images.

Can anybody please take a look.

my website link

thankss in advance

lomoi / 2010-12-02 14:19:02   

sorry... mi website well written

This thread has been closed, thank you.