Custom Slideshow + Deuxcolumn

Saarasaara / 2009-10-14 20:17:14   

Hello everyone! I customized the Deuxcolumn exhibition format to go with my layout, but then wanted to add the really cool fadein/fadeout effect and prev/next navi from the Slideshow format. I managed to proceed to a stage where it seems to work, except for the thumbnail navigation.

I tried to see how it was done in the Galleria format, but the plugin didn't work at all in my system, and besides the technique was altogether different. The Slideshow looks great because of the overlapping images and opacity changes; I don't want to see a white flash when images are crossfaded (this is the case with the Djuve format).

I have no idea what I'm doing (it's my first ever web project with no training or prior knowledge) and so far I've been simply relentlessly going through all imaginable options and seeing by trial and error what every small bit of code does. But now that there's jQuery involved, I lost it completely and don't even know how to begin trying. I have to look up syntax instructions for nearly everything I do, so this level becomes too complex with all the different languages and their terminology and the ways they should be used.

So what I'm asking is if someone could come up with some kind of a plan to make a non-linear thumbnail navigation happen inside this same exhibition format, and give me a hint on how to start. Should I begin writing a new JS function or what?

link

(Should I post my code? It's just copy&paste from those two formats.)

arsondpi / 2009-10-14 20:48:36   

the fadeIn/fadeOut is an effect and can be applied nearly in every exhibition format that uses jquery...

Anyhow - you can customize the Djuve format and achive what you want via css... You just need to play around with set widths and floats...

Saarasaara / 2009-10-14 21:22:56   

Yeah I guess I could.. Maybe I'll look into it when I have another full day to invest.

Sorry, I didn't get your hint concerning widths and floats though. :( Is it not enough (/not possible) to fade out the previous image while fading in the next one? Is this a stupid question? :D

arsondpi / 2009-10-14 21:32:38   

float:left; float:right; are css attributes... search the web for what they do. It's a bit complex to explain here to be honest - there's pages out there that have good examples...

Saarasaara / 2009-10-14 21:50:32   

Sorry for being unclear. I know what they do, but I don't know how they would help me in this case. It's okay if you don't want to get into it further; maybe it comes to me when I start trying (right now I have a deadline for something else). Thanks for your help!

Saarasaara / 2009-10-14 21:51:41   

If you happen know an example where the image browsing has been done the way I want, please link so I can have a look!

Saarasaara / 2009-10-20 18:27:08   

Ok I spent a significant amount of time on this one, and finally figured there must be an easier solution for non-scripters like myself. I then found Galleriffic, a really nice image gallery plugin that I was able to implement into Indexhibit. It has thumbnail navigation (with highlighted thumbnails), prev/next -navigation, a slideshow option and a simple pager.

Only thing is, I still haven't solved the "white flash" issue, because also with Gallerific the main image transitions happen consecutively, not simultaneously like I would want. They will be having this option on a future release, and there is an example on how to do tweak the plugin to sync transitions, but actually doing that is very probably too much for me. I'm afraid I'll just mess up the code.

If anyone else here is interested in the plugin and going to have a go, please share your progress!

benhorinb / 2009-10-21 07:01:32   

@saara - is it possible that you share your indexhibit plugin format?

DanPem / 2009-10-28 07:32:47   

Hi Saarasaara;

Gallerific is exactly what I'm looking for. However, as an amateur to scripting etc it's a bit beyond my reach at the moment.

Are you able to give us a quick overview of how you integrated this plugin with indexhibit? Not too detailed – but it would be great to be put on the right track :)

Saarasaara / 2010-03-18 09:16:47   

Ok so last time I had to suddenly start a time/brain-consuming project, so I left my website unfinished for the time being, and also didn't see these messages. Sorry about that.

As for the requests above, I'm afraid I'm not very "able" in giving instruction about what I did, simply because I have no clue myself! Basically I took the Galleriffic plugin and another one made for Indexhibit, and started going through them row by row copy-pasting together the parts I thought would matter. But because I didn't really know what I was doing, I relied very much on just trial and error.

I haven't checked if the white flash issue has been tackled yet, but if not, I guess it will have to do as is. As for sharing, of course I can put my tweaked format out there, but I feel reluctant because it's almost certainly very poorly made and it will be difficult to use especially for guys who know as little as I do. I can't include many comments and have no idea which part of it does what.. :/

angusrs / 2010-03-20 18:15:52   

well done.

If you do want to share what you've done... you've probably managed to make a plugin (a .php file) that you've put in your indexhibit "plugin" folder. That .php/plugin file is the one you could share as downloadable file... if you want.

;)

Saarasaara / 2010-03-20 21:37:25   

Well here it is.

I don't feel very comfortable handing it out, because I'm a perfectionist and I know that if I was a professional code writer I would never let out something as haphazard as this.. But I also know I would have been grateful if someone gave this to me when I started making my site, no matter how bad it was.

So there you go. See all the Indexhibit and Galleriffic documentation if you want to find out something about either source for this mashup. :)

rickykappa / 2010-03-20 23:35:39   

I have exactly the same kind of feeling, that's why I don't post out so much of my experiments... (besides I don't even know if others are so much interested)
anyway, that's nice nice from you! ;-)

angusrs / 2010-03-22 22:57:54   

i think it's great you shared it, saara.

so what if it's not perfect or messy. ;) it seems to me that this is the whole idea of this forum, to share some tryouts and ideas, so they'll lead to something that works at the end, or something new entirely etc. I believe most of the people here are learning from trial & error. i'm no different.

hotbat / 2010-03-24 21:09:22   

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I'm also trying to integrate galleriffic, but am having a heck of a time. You can see some of my attempts in the three galleries here:

http://www.jameskennard.com/

Saarasaara I'm not even sure how to use your plugin. Any help would be much appreciated!

orionrush / 2010-05-20 16:59:48   

Shame the link is lost!

rickykappa / 2010-05-20 17:10:02   

the link is there:
Saarasaara
FINLAND
2010-03-20 21:37:25

jaimeyemail / 2010-06-08 10:08:38   

The link is lost!.

arsondpi / 2010-06-08 10:39:36   

...yeah so? Did you try emailing Saarasaara? Ask kindly and maybe he will repost...

This thread has been closed, thank you.