Centered Theme

lemathieu A / 2009-10-31 15:51:04   

The Centered Theme demo.

After some "polishing" work, it's time for me to release this theme to the community. Have a read of the demo (wich is full of explainations and "how to").

Grab the theme here.

To activate the theme :
> unzip it and upload thecentered_theme folder in the "site" folder (inside the main "ndxz-studio" folder).
> switch to Advanced mode in Settings (if it's not already done)
> select the theme

By the way, in the meaning of putting the use of indexhibit with this theme more easy and the experience better, I catch all the files needed to have all the exhibition formats available and in order to works, as it is on the demo site.
What can I say ? It's like an "all inclusive" ;)
Grab the theme + exhibitions elements

The CSS code is commented to be easily edited and understood.
It's as easy as possible.

I would love to see your use of this theme, so please post a link here.

And you're welcome to give feedbacks and imputs !

arsondpi / 2009-10-31 19:05:08   

Thank you for sharing!!!

I can see this being very popular! Well done!

mscottphotography / 2009-10-31 23:45:50   

This is exactly what I have been looking for- Thank you! The only thing, do you know how to adjust the size? It looks good on my 24" monitor, but it's a little big for my 15". I would love to be able to make it auto adjust to fit the screen size... Any suggestions?

lemathieu A / 2009-11-01 11:04:46   

First of all thanks !

For your question, fluid design is never good on a mono-column portofolio site.

You could add min and max sizes, but how could you choose the size of the pics ? When the content consist of text, fluid design can be good, but in this case…

Btw, you can adjust the total size of the site in the css, in the #wrapper (the css code is fully commented).

bubble / 2009-11-01 11:05:15   

Thank you, thank you, will report back with results kind sir x

cmurph / 2009-11-01 20:52:13   

This is fantastic thankyou!

kwmaher / 2009-11-01 21:51:27   

This looks excellent. Good work.

mscottphotography / 2009-11-02 18:06:30   

Thank you for the reply- I have spent some time playing with it, and when I am finished I will put up a link... Again, I love this! Thanks for putting this together.

mscottphotography / 2009-11-02 18:18:31   

I do have one question though... There seems to be some sort of thin rectangle box between my menu and the image area, any idea on how to get rid of that? I'm sure it's not hard, but for some reason I am stuck. Thank you.

sami / 2009-11-02 21:48:05   

Great stuff indeed, thank you for sharing.

cmurph / 2009-11-02 23:11:08   

mscott have a look at this page >

http://test.hmplus.net/index.php?/howto/-change-the-separator/
That should do it for you.

Tali / 2009-11-03 02:45:25   

Thanks for sharing the theme lemathieu! You are a star :)

I'm wondering - is it possible to use the section headings as links themselves?
So - there wouldn't be an animated dropdown, but the headings themselves would take you to an exhibit??

Tali / 2009-11-03 02:45:58   

+ just wanted to add - it's a very clean, ordered, simple and gorgeous design. well done! :)

lemathieu A / 2009-11-03 08:46:32   

@ mscottphotography :
oh sh#t ! I forgot the images (separator and the white png for the footer) in the "basic" package.
;)

Thanks for pointing that. Replaced !
Just download a new version.

benhorinb / 2009-11-03 22:15:09   

thank you very much lemathieu this is great!

one thing - all slider exhibits (and homepage) don't work on IE7+8.
can you say why? cause the plugins themselves work for me on a normal theme, but not on your test site.

Tali / 2009-11-03 23:54:37   

after ben's comment, i tested it out on Safari on mac.
The only thing that looks weird is the animated flyout in the nav.
Looks slick in Firefox on mac. But on Safari, it animates out, and then kind of clunks back into place.
Just letting you know!

arsondpi / 2009-11-04 00:43:27   

...someone do the honour and help out Mathieu for this menu safari animation glitch (not a problem)...
(this is likely a padding/margin issue of some sort)

lemathieu A / 2009-11-04 08:10:29   

ok, I will have a see. Not today (no time) but asap.
If somebody wants to give a hand during this time…

elfneedsfoodbadly / 2009-11-09 18:48:16   

awesome to see this demo up ...

just one tiny problem (i think!)

as the djuve and various other exhibits use the 1.3.2 jquery, the thickbox example under Formats stalls.

you cover it pretty well in the descriptions so maybe you're just making the point on purpose?

but seriously, thanks so much for this ... i was having a real headache trying to reverse engineer from sites i admired!

www.elfneedsfoodbadly.org

Mik / 2009-11-10 10:45:10   

Yes! thank you very much for this.

fantastic looking theme, and the tips in the coding have actually helped me understand how to vaguely customise it, despite being a complete dunce at ...well...coding. ;)

www.omniscientbeing.com

lemathieu A / 2009-11-10 13:33:07   

I let the thickbox in the hope to make it work one day with jquery 1.3.2
;)

And thanks for all the comments !
Post your site here !

maximilian / 2009-11-13 04:22:14   

Thank you for sharing this great Theme, Lemathieu!
I am using the Slider_float_left plug-in (here is my website: http://www.maxispina.com/index.php?/project/reflective-formations/), and I was wondering if it would be too difficult to create a Slides_Show_float_left plug-in for a beginner such as myself? Any advice on how to start would be highly appreciated.

lemathieu A / 2009-11-13 08:17:55   

I created this plugin from this thread.

But I look at your site, and it works !

jaz / 2009-11-16 18:11:22   

Hello, lemathieu,

Thanks very much for your theme!

I would like to customize the main menu (INFO, FORMATS, HOW TO...) with colour, font-size etc.

Also:

Is it possible to TAKE-AWAY the drop-down feature and have the menu sub-links always visible? (and the whole menu CENTRED on the page?)

Thanks very much!

Jaz

lemathieu A / 2009-11-16 20:36:26   

yes yes yes
css and html basics…

1/ customisations : open the style.css, everything is explained in. Have a look at the thread i mentionned above

2/ erase these lines in the index.php :

1.     expandingMenu(0);  
  2.     expandingMenu(1);  
  3.     expandingMenu(2); 
  4.     expandingMenu(3);
  5.     expandingMenu(4);
  6.     expandingMenu(5);
  7.     expandingMenu(6);
  8.     expandingMenu(7);
  9.     expandingMenu(8);

and tis one :

1. < script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.letterpresslcc.co.uk/ndxz-studio/site/js/expandingMenus.js'>< /script>

jaz / 2009-11-16 21:34:58   

Hey lemathieu,
Thanks so much for the quick reply!
Excellent!
Thanks again!
All the best and
take care,
Jaz

ng_xanadu / 2009-11-23 01:22:15   

Hi Lemathieu,

Last week I downloaded the centered theme and I really enjoy it.
With it my website is looking more and more like I wanted it to be....however, the expanding menu is really giving me some troubles.
I would like to customize it (starting with speed) as I used to with the old theme, but when I try to modify the expandingMenus script, nothing seems to affect the final result. Could you please help me?

Best regards

lemathieu A / 2009-11-23 11:11:44   

@ ng_xanadu

Sorry about that. My mistake.
I didn't correct an error I've done at the start of creating this theme.

I replace all the file. You can now download the new version (at the start of this thread).

Or you can just correct two things :
>> Download this file and upload it to ndxz-studio/site/js folder
>> Correct the line that "call" the expandingMenus.js in your index.php (it's line 18) with this source :

1. src='<%baseurl%><%basename%>/site/js/expandingMenus.js'>

Sorry about that, and post your site here !

;)

ng_xanadu / 2009-11-23 13:37:28   

Thanks a lot lemathieu!

I made the changes you told me to do and the expanding menu works perfectly know.

I guess I'm a few steps away from being done with my site, so I will post it here in a few days when it will be finished.

I may need some more help to finish it, but for now I'm trying to figure the solutions by myself, well...as much as possible.

Thanks again.

ng_xanadu / 2009-11-24 01:57:38   

Me again!

Well, as you can notice, it didn't take long for me to get out of solutions!

I'm having some troubles with the expanding menu...could you please help me again?
When I click or rollover on a section title, it looks like the other section titles are being pushed further on the left.
In fact, what I would like would be for the section titles to stay in place and the exhibition titles simply to collapse from up to down.

Also, would it be possible that the exhibition/projects section stay open even when I click on a project from another section?

Thanks for your help.

chris24net / 2009-11-24 03:31:23   

Great theme. Any progress on fixing the navigation hiccup in Safari? Thanks.

chris24net / 2009-11-24 04:05:01   

Also, is it possible to have the menu dropdown work on hover rather than click? Thanks again.

lemathieu A / 2009-11-24 08:22:47   

@ ng_xanadu :

the section titles to stay in place

you can try to give a width to #menu ul li.section-title

and the exhibition titles simply to collapse from up to down

#menu ul li >> text-align : right;

Good thing in css : trying and making errors…
;)

ng_xanadu / 2009-11-24 11:15:49   

Thanks lemathieu,

I'll try this and will let you know...

To Chris24net : There's a thread here, someone customized the script in order to make the menu drop on hover.

lemathieu A / 2009-11-24 12:55:33   

i was sure to see it one time.
thanks !

ng_xanadu / 2009-11-29 21:41:33   

Hi lemathieu,

I hope you're fine.

I actually managed to fix most of my problems (this expanding meu gave me headaches, but I learned a lot at the same time...).

Here you can I have a look at my Website .
Maybe you can tell me what you think about it?
The content is not completed, but I think I'm done with the main design.

However, I would like to ask your help on one point :
I noticed my website works great with Firefox, got a few flaws with Safari (I only tried the Windows version) and works pretty bad with Internet Explorer.
I would be happy to make it work with IE, but I'm fine if I can't. Though I would really like to make it work perfectly with Safari.
Here's my main concern : when I load the main page, there's a big gap between the section titles and the separator, as if the expanding menu was open but the exhibition titles were invisible.
Do you have any idea how to fix it?
Do you think something can be done with IE?

Thanks again fot your help.

chris24net / 2009-11-29 22:41:09   

Is there any way to have the rest of the page not drop down when the menu drops down? Thanks.

chris24net / 2009-11-30 00:49:58   

Also, it doesn't seem to be working in IE6. Checking at NetRenderer IE7 and IE8 seem to be okay, though the section titles aren't all the way right justified in IE7. But IE6 is a mess. The footer is at the top and not transparent, the section titles and dropdowns don't show.

Screen grab: http://chris-sorensen.com/files/ie6.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks.

chris24net / 2009-11-30 05:44:57   

Ok, got the page to stay in one place when the menu drops down, but now I have the problem of the images in the slideshow exhibits covering the dropdown. Iwagami solves the overlap issue, but I want the next/previous buttons. And after reading all the threads on modifying the Iwagami plugin to add that, none of the threads actually detail a complete solution. Any one done it and want to share? Thanks.

And it's still crap in IE6. :)

isuskozero / 2009-11-30 22:34:32   

Hey, great theme!!!
Thanks for sharing.

I need to know how to keep still the menu scroll down like http://www.nicolasgillier.com/

chris24net / 2009-11-30 23:44:45   

Fixed some issues in IE6. Used unitpngfix and also made a change to the #copy (postnav) CSS.

Changed:

position : fixed;

to

position : fixed !important;
position: absolute; /*ie6 and above*/

Not perfect but better. Thanks for the great theme.

arsondpi / 2009-12-01 07:13:37   

...or check my post concerning IE fixes and workarounds, in HTML/CSS Basics (Useful threads post in the top of the forum).

7 / 2009-12-01 09:30:18   

Good stuff Matthieu :)

moss / 2009-12-01 11:54:49   

Great stuff thank you!

iwakami / 2009-12-01 13:44:25   

yeah. this looks great! very useful

isuskozero / 2009-12-03 06:25:29   

Anyone know how to keep still the menu scroll down?
Thanks

benipi / 2009-12-16 18:58:41   

hi there ! and thanx lemathieu for this great theme

did anybody tried to make the iframe plugin working with it ?
don't really know where i'm supposed to change the to get it working.

have a nice winter
cheers

cmurph / 2010-01-02 09:55:51   

Hey guys,

Can any one help me make the menu function as ng_xanadu has done.
With it simply opening down and not across.

I have tried to change the text alignment to match and widths to auto in the css but get a funny animation jump when I do.

Any help much appreciated.

cmurph / 2010-01-02 10:22:09   

Just reading over what I have posted, I realized that my above explanation may be a little rough.
I am trying to make my menu a similar format to ng_xanadu without the drop down on hover.

At the moment My menu seems to collapse down from the top left which is causing a funny jump, how can I get the menu to collapse straight down?

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks guys.

arsondpi / 2010-01-02 11:28:17   

Happy and creative new year!

...have you got an address? It seems that you're after an animation effect to begin with...

This thread has been closed, thank you.