initial page / splash page?

studioahoy / 2007-04-27 10:11:44   

Is it possible to have an initial page / splash page that doesn't have the menu? Then you click and it's into the indexhibit structure...

Is there an easy workaround to get this to function? I realise I could install into a subdirectory but I think the URL will become somewhat unwieldy, eg. www.studioahoy.com/site/project/

I guess what would be tidiest is if the 'Main' page which loads first could have it's own custom theme, or be an external page altogether?

no sure if this is a question or a suggestion...

Vaska A / 2007-04-27 10:21:43   

Uhhh...it could be done without another template...that's where your programmer could do some easy work - would probably take 20 mins. It's a little wonky, but it's just code.

You could theoretically do it with an htaccess rule as well.

This project is about Index + Exhibit and that's what we're currently supporting. One template, with a little variation, it does everything necessary.

studioahoy / 2007-05-03 10:48:34   

a followup for the benefit of anybody else looking to do something similar:

1. rename the 'index.php' file in the base directory to 'home.php'
2. create an 'index.html' page (this will be the first/splash page) and be sure to include a link to 'home.php' (indexhibit & the internal pages of your site)
3. alter the last line in the '.htaccess' file, replacing 'index.php' with 'home.php' (you may find it easier to do this locally, then upload and rename the file to start with a '.')

that should be it, ie. I think that's all I did!

Vaska A / 2007-05-04 07:57:11   

A good solution - eventually, we'll add this to a list of things for reference.

drizzle / 2008-10-02 12:34:10   

Hello

I tried the studioahoy method on a friend'site and it works nice.
So I got a splash page, when I click I enter in the indexhibit home page.
The only problem is that my 'home' link in the menu take me to the splash page and not to the 'home.php'
When I look the source code of the page in firefox, I'm able to see where I have to change this:

1. <li class='active'><a href='http://www.spleenville.org/' onclick="do_click();">Home</a></li>

But I'm unable to find where is hidden this code in the indexhibit files.

Thanks for your help

drizzle / 2008-10-02 13:02:22   

I find a way to go through this issue.. it is not really a fix..
I make a link to 'home.php' on the picture in the prenav area and I hide the 'home' in the menu.
I don't know if it works really, or if it works because the browser does not find the page (because the page is hidden) and redirect to the "home.php" like it does when you try to show a page that does not exist.
Don't know if I'm understandable...

Vaska A / 2008-10-02 13:09:31   

This is what I was going to recommend.

You are basically making the system do something custom...so you need to counter this with something custom as well.

drizzle / 2008-10-02 13:12:33   

Yep it is a John Henry thing...!

LeslieOA / 2008-10-02 14:26:51   

You could also have a static index.html depending on what order your webserver looks for your "homepage".

Most do: -

1. index.html/.htm
2. index.php

Vaska A / 2008-10-02 14:34:28   

Good idea...on many servers it won't work as they put preference on index.php before index.htm(l). But it's the first thing to try...

OR...with the new version just make a splash page with an extra template.

Doh!

drizzle / 2008-10-02 14:36:21   

i think I do have a static index.html. no? i don't really know what that mean. But have a look:
http://www.spleenville.org
The splash page is a static index.html?

Vaska A / 2008-10-02 23:25:09   

Then you don't need to change the htaccess file or anything...

drizzle / 2008-10-03 14:14:19   

thanks for the advices!
all those teases of the new version... i think now i NEED it...!

adroitmachine / 2008-11-24 04:02:28   

When I open up the .htaccess file, only the following code is displayed:

1. AddHandler php5-script .php

Any suggestions why I wouldn't see any mention of the index.php file already there... or is that something I should be writing in myself.

cruz / 2008-11-24 09:38:37   

as a side note, the splash page is that annoying page between the user and the real website, right? Just saying! ;)

adroitmachine / 2008-11-29 01:37:10   

Whatever lets you sleep at night.

I presume you don't have an answer to the question, however.

Thanks.

Vaska A / 2008-11-29 02:00:00   

Here is your answer...use Google and search what that means. It has nothing to do with Indexhibit.

This thread has been closed, thank you.