show/hide text

Pajje / 2009-12-18 08:40:18   

Hello,
I want to have the possibility to show/hide a part of the text above the images. I know there is a javascript for show/hide text in div tags, but how can i make it work in Indexhibit?

The reason why i need this solution is because i don’t want to much text above the portfolio images.

arsondpi / 2009-12-18 08:58:27   

you are elle...? please...?

Pajje / 2009-12-18 09:30:50   

http://www.m08.se/
This is just a test url. Playing around with indexhibit to learn more...

arsondpi / 2009-12-18 09:57:06   

I' ve got the same problem in some of my exhibits and I'm currently using these bits of code

(abstract from Olia Lialinas, Vernacular Web 2 article, which is a good read by the way)

1. <script type="text/javascript">
  2. $(document).ready(
  3. function() {
  4.     $('#the_text').hide();
  5.     $('a#the_link').click(function() {
  6.     $('#the_text').toggle(200);
  7.     return false;
  8.         });
  9. });
  10. </script>
  11. <p>
  12. <a id="the_link" href="#">Vernacular Web 2</a>
  13. </p>
  14. <div id="the_text">
  15. <p>
  16. Two years ago I wrote an article titled ‚ÄúA Vernacular  Web‚Äù, in which I tried to collect, classify and describe the most important elements of the early Web ‚Äì visual as well as acoustic ‚Äì and the habits of first Web users, their ideas of harmony and order.</p>
  17. <p>I‚Äôm talking about everything that became a subject of mockery by the end of the last century when professional designers arrived, everything that fell out of use and turns up every now and again as the elements of ‚Äúretro‚Äù look in site design or in the works of artists exploring the theme of ‚Äúdigital folklore‚Äù: the ‚ÄúUnder Construction‚Äù signs, outer space backgrounds, MIDI-files, collections of animated web graphics and so on.
  18. If you are missing the way pages looked before, you should install The Timemachine Firefox Add-on by Tobias Leingruber.</p>
  19. <p>And today, in the end of June 2007, when we hear of amateur culture more often than ever before, the cultural influence of ‚ÄúWelcome to My Home Page‚Äù web pages looks especially interesting. People who created them and their ideas of what the Web is, how it can be used and how the pages should look, these people‚Äôs likes and mistakes gave the today‚Äôs Web its current shape. [...]</p>
  20. </div>

Pajje / 2009-12-18 11:20:53   

Where do you put the < script type="text/javascript" > < /script >?

arsondpi / 2009-12-18 13:35:38   

...paste all of this in the text area with proccess html set to off. Try it then edit it to your needs.

Pajje / 2009-12-18 15:40:17   

It doesn’t seem to work for me. Im a beginner programmer though. When i paste in the code with process html set to off and save the only thing i see in the preview is the link, and it’s not clickable. Maybe there is a easy solution?

arsondpi / 2009-12-18 16:03:52   

Οh crap - I made a mistake... I fixed the code above - you can try it now.

Pajje / 2009-12-18 16:49:43   

Splendid! God bless you, indexhibit and the internet.

geokaza / 2009-12-23 20:07:17   

@arsondpi Thank you, is so useful

George

laxstudio / 2010-01-01 17:12:35   

he i am new.. i would someting like.. the link of george above.. her drop down menus.. but i dont want a menu.. i just want it on a regular page.. for example a song name : ' love ' when you click on it.. the lyrics come in a drop down and when you click on love again its gone.. anyone?

arsondpi / 2010-01-02 12:24:10   

Hi there ...did you read the post? Did you try the code above?

puppiepoppy / 2010-01-14 03:24:04   

Hi Arsondpi,

Thanks alot! Is it possible to have multiple link headlines that can be show/hide accordingly? I've tried mucking around your script as above but unsuccessful in doing so.

Ideally, ONLY one link should be open at any one time, while the other links are hidden.

Can you please help give some guidance on this? Thank you.

Mike

puppiepoppy / 2010-01-14 03:29:37   

Hi Arsondpi,

Alternatively, I'm experiementing with this on my Beta Page as well. Do you think this would be good as well. I'm just looking for some script that would be simpler and easier to update & modify.

What do you think?

PS: Can you guide me how to paste the source code here? I've tried clicking the 'code' on the left side here but it doesn't show paste the code completely as what you've done in the above thread (with the red 1,2,3,etc). Thanks.

puppiepoppy / 2010-01-24 06:41:56   

Hi Arsondpi (or anyone out there),

I'm managed to incorporate the script that you've provided in this thread. However, I'm not successful in applying multiple link. I've experimented with the script, not good and i guess one has to really know what to do (that's knowledge or skill) precisely, and not trying out like what I've done. :(

Can you please guide me on how to have multiple clickable link that expand and collapse? Only ONE link should be expanded at any one time.

Thanks.

puppiepoppy / 2010-01-24 07:34:00   

Hi,

I've continue tweaking my Beta Page....currently managed to add in multiple headers. It's one step closer.

Now, my only task is to ensure only one header is expanded at any one time'.

Can anyone help? What is needed to be added to the script? Thanks a mil.

arsondpi / 2010-01-24 10:48:16   

puppiepoppy the script is just for one simple thing - what you're after is an accordion plugin, for which you can obviously search the web. JqueryUI has it's own but there's other plugins that do the same thing...

puppiepoppy / 2010-01-24 14:48:19   

I've search and experiment in vain but not successful. Further more, something that you think is easy might be difficult for me since I'm totally having no html, script, etc background.

Any tips?

arsondpi / 2010-01-24 18:37:04   

What I do is that I download example/demo pages, see how they work and adjust them to what I want. It's all about trial and error. I'm on a learning proccess as well and I know just a bit more than you - thus if I can, so can you.

derseb / 2011-06-18 16:59:45   

the posted code from arsondpi is exactly what i searched for.
Big THANK YOU for that.
Is it possible to integrate this function in my indexhibit, so that every text of an exhibition could be clicked hidden.

How may i have to do this?

thx,

seb

midastouch / 2012-02-18 23:40:20   

Hi all. I may be missing something here, so send me off if I am!

I am trying to make a list of artists names that can each be expanded to show a bio, etc. I know I don't want an accordion menu, since I want multiple names to be able to be opened at once.

I used arsondpi's script but it appears to only be usable for one link (maybe?), rather than multiple in a list. What kind of script/plugin would I search for that can do this? Or can I do it with this code?

raqui / 2012-02-19 02:33:55   

Hi and thanks !!!
I would like the same thickbox used Georges ! I posted several times but no answer.
Can you help me please ? en español, français... it's better !

benjamintorres.net

Thanks !

pernin / 2012-02-20 02:20:07   

@raqui: por favor lee las reglas del foro: lo que estás haciendo equivale a espamear el foro.

Cross-posting, already answered in the other thread

raqui / 2012-02-22 03:52:58   

lo siento, me he leido las reglas pero no sabia muy bien como hacerlo.
Ya he comprendido

Gracias

This thread has been closed, thank you.