Exhibit Plug: Random Exhibits

swallick / 2010-01-15 17:13:54   

Here's another exhibit plugin I developed for personal use. I already shared the other two in a different thread.

Random Exhibits
Selects an image at random from the pool of images uploaded to a given exhibit. Two exhibit plugins are included for displaying the random image with or without a caption. Great for alternating content on a landing page.

Download: Random Exhibits

swallick / 2010-01-15 17:14:32   

Grr. I meant to post this in Ideas. Maybe a mod will help me out. Thanks.

arsondpi / 2010-01-16 17:28:41   

Thanks for sharing. Seems you've been trying things - which is great!

richardn / 2010-01-26 15:42:20   

Scott, thanks for making/sharing this. I had been trying to do the same thing (random image on landing page) with the Random Background Plugin on the Downloads page, but I couldn't stop it from tiling. Your approach is much more user friendly (no need to edit code, or FTP files to folders), and the option to add captions/titles is great. Still testing, but if I use it I'll donate.

swallick / 2010-01-28 21:51:33   

You'r every welcome, richardn. Glad it was useful. I always prefer to use the framework instead of hacks that go around it (e.g., a separate folder to pull photos from like in the plugin you mentioned). Enjoy!

15frames / 2010-01-29 03:03:18   

Thanks swallick for making an awesome plug-in! I've been trying to modify it to have the variable image act as a linked image. I've spent 15+ hours hunting through this forum and google reading up on incorporating HTML in PHP, and / or referencing the variable / function in a href, but to no avail. I'm probably making this waaaaay more difficult than need be (missing the obvious) or I'm not connecting the various pieces together. If anyone can guide me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for making this an awesome community.

jasmu / 2010-01-29 16:01:33   

thank you! i've had problems w/ the random background plugin, changing the colors, it works with yours.

verena / 2010-02-12 18:21:22   

Hi there,
I sucessfully installed this plugin. It workes fine, only that the random images not flush the line under my name, which the normal exhibits do. What can I do to adjust this?

Thanks in advance.
V.

Webpage

arsondpi / 2010-02-12 18:29:20   

with css... use firebug... use the two red links in the Useful threads post...

verena / 2010-02-14 20:53:17   

Hi there,
I still have the problem that the random images of the main page don't flush the line under my name, which the normal exhibits do. I tried to fix it with my css stylesheet, I changed the first value of the margin several times, but isn't working.

#content {
height: 100%;
margin: 45px 0 0 215px;
top: 0;
}

Does anyone have an idea, how I can fix it? It's probably totally easy only that I'm maybe trying to fix it on the wrong place??

Thanks for some helpful advices.
V.

1. <a href="http://www.verenapostweiler.de/">Webpage</a>
richardn / 2010-02-14 21:26:46   

You have a break tag preceding the image that you probably don't want to be there. Remove it, and your random images should be where you want them. Otherwise add padding to - #img-container {} - and fine tune the positioning of the image.

verena / 2010-02-14 22:53:32   

Hi richardn,
thanks for your answer!
It may sound stupid to you, but I don't know in which file I should remove the break tag..

I tried several times to change the values of:

1. #img-container¬†¬†¬†¬†{ margin: 0; padding: 0; }

but nothing happened. (I could only move it to the right with the margin value, but couldn't move it up...)

Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!
V.

richardn / 2010-02-14 22:59:43   

You can't move it up because there's a break tag in there, before the image. Not sure how it got there (I'm just looking at your page source in Firefox). In Indexhibit's text editor make sure that the text area for your random images page is totally clear (i.e click in the text area and forward/back delete to make sure there are no returns/linebreaks in there. Save and continue...

verena / 2010-02-14 23:15:01   

I can see the break tag, too, when I look at my site with firebug, I only can't figure out where to find the document, where I can change this manually.

And that's very strange: when I publish this exhibit with these pictures, they flush the line (look at Information -> Random), when I unpublish them they move a little to the bottom.
Why that???

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
V.

verena / 2010-02-14 23:16:30   

More exactly:
when I click on Information -> Random
the pictures flush the line.

When I click on my name they don't.

I don't understand why.

V.

richardn / 2010-02-14 23:26:36   

I don't know the answer. Probably best to delete your front/random image page, and create a new one.

verena / 2010-02-16 10:22:47   

yes, at least that worked! Thanks.

misspumps / 2010-05-17 12:32:06   

hi swallik!

wow thanks for the plugin. though i installed it and followed your simple instructions but i doesnt seem to be working. any ideas?

thanks
best
leila

misspumps / 2010-05-18 16:28:12   

i figured it out! thanks!

shoutingstar / 2010-05-19 18:19:50   

hi there,

Im just learning about all this css/html stuff as I build my site...

Im having trouble with the random images on my home page. For some reason it only displays as a small image however the full size image should be about 525 pixels vertically.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcia
http://www.marciachandra.com/test/

dghitis / 2010-08-28 18:29:44   

Looks like the link is broken....

dghitis / 2010-08-28 18:30:25   

Correction, the plugin download link...

jsiegel / 2010-08-28 19:33:49   

ditto @ dead link

Thanks for sharing your plugin.

arsondpi / 2010-08-29 07:39:53   

random exhibits link

careyk / 2010-09-15 02:06:45   

I love this! But I have a problem- how can you get it to load the rest of the images in that exhibit? Can you put a thumbnails link to the page?

This is my website, but I'm using the slidethumbpower combo for most of my galleries.

careykirkella.com

thank you!!

maxfarago / 2010-11-08 17:03:12   

Is there any way to use this plugin as your only exhibit, upload a hundred photographs to it, and just be able to have a random image exhibit? It would be really great to be able to click on the picture and it would generate a new random image. Is there any way to do this?

-MAX

Edit by ArsonDPI: please avoid double posting

This thread has been closed, thank you.