Columner Theme

lemathieu A / 2010-01-19 17:43:03   

Yeah.

Thanks to Pindaros/Arsondpi (I hate Internet Explorer), today, it's time for me to release this theme to the community. Have a look/read of the demo (wich is full of explainations and "how to").

Grab the theme here.

To activate the theme :
> unzip it and upload columner_theme folder in the "site" folder (inside the main "ndxz-studio" folder).
> upload ie.js in the "js" folder (inside the "site" folder)
> switch to Advanced mode in Settings (if it's not already done)
> select the theme

Oh !
And this theme works great with the Horizontal Exhibition Format (grab it on the download page).

The CSS code is commented to be easily edited and understood.
It's as easy as possible.

I tested it on Firefox-Safari-Opera-IE5.5/6/7/8-Netscape. It works ;)

I would love to see your use of this theme, so please post a link here.
And you're welcome to give feedbacks and imputs !

Vaska A / 2010-01-19 18:09:08   

Awesome. We should make this an official release...

rickykappa / 2010-01-19 18:32:12   

Chapeau!

LeslieOA / 2010-01-20 07:52:51   

@lemathieu: - This is the cleanest custom releases I've seen for Indexhibit in a while.
Congratuwelldone + mad-props.

@Vaska: - Add it to the current release. Improvements can be iterated (and most will customise anyhow).

lemathieu A / 2010-01-20 07:55:47   

Thanks to all, really.
Hope this one will help !

schabraque / 2010-01-20 17:05:51   

AWESOME theme GUYS!

tough your install-descreption is so detailed, i´ve got problems…

i can switch to the columner_theme and i can even view it BUT i miss the formats when i edit exhibits?!?

lemathieu A / 2010-01-20 17:24:01   

Download the Horizontal format from the download page…
And put yourself in "advanced mode".
Sorry !

;)

Vaska A / 2010-01-20 20:37:34   

I wonder if this thread gets lost somehow being pinned at the top. ???

It's really nice to see somebody tackle other concepts involving true presentation...being columns and heading tags.

So well done Mathieu. Early next week I'll have a close look at all of this and get it ready for an official release.

schabraque / 2010-01-20 21:24:11   

at lemathieu A … sorry for bothering you …

stupid as can be… i just downloaded the horizontal format … IT WORKS!

jpollard / 2010-01-21 02:32:12   

Wow! This is incredibly well organized. THANK YOU!

The logo in mine keeps showing up on the right hand corner (added via the pre-nav in settings). Do you know why that might be? Thanks again.

jpollard / 2010-01-21 02:32:38   

oops. My site is www.jppollard.com

lemathieu A / 2010-01-21 08:18:43   

As I see, the logo in yours is in the postnav area…
in the middle of the page…?

lemathieu A / 2010-01-21 08:23:22   

If not, if you're talking about the little "+" that I see on the top right… it's what this theme does : the prenav is at this place (as on the demo) until you change it.

cruz / 2010-01-21 12:15:07   

Looks great. Congratulations lemathieu.
;)

lava / 2010-01-23 16:52:44   

well..i installed it as mentioned above but it wont show up (settings-theme)
it should show up there,right?

Feileacan / 2010-01-24 00:42:15   

Awesome, this worked really great for me! Thanks a lot!

Vaska A / 2010-01-24 10:30:46   

@lava: It should...and you should be in Advanced Mode as well (Exhibits > Settings).

lespourricords / 2010-01-24 13:45:39   

Hi Vaska & Mathieu, thank you for your work.
I have a little question, I'm very bad to do website, and I don't understand how I can make an exhibit like this one
I install the theme without problem but for exhibition I don't understand how I must proceed ? If you could help me ?
Thanks.
The under construction page is here
Thanks.
B.

lemathieu A / 2010-01-24 16:18:10   

Download this exhibition format at the download page and install it on your ftp.

We should put this plugin in the basic folder…

@ everybody : download this exhibition format at the download page

michealb / 2010-01-24 18:17:04   

Great theme Lemathieu. many thanks for the work you've shared.
I was thinking about wrapping this up in a 960px framework, to have it centered, but before I try this I was wondering if anyone else has tried? Or how difficult it might be to try this with this theme.

Thx.

richardn / 2010-01-24 23:56:39   

Thank you for posting this theme. It looks great.

I've been playing with creating several columns of text, and I'm curious to know how difficult it would be to place one column of text before the images (horizontal exhibtion format), and a second column of text after the images - i.e. introduction / images / conclusion?

(I think this has been asked before on this forum, but I can't find it with search box.)

I'm trying to emulate the structure of
one of my web galleries (non-indexhibit).

If you could nudge me in the right direction, I would be very happy. Thanks. Richard

richardn / 2010-01-25 00:58:23   

Hmm, I'm looking at exhibit.horizontal.php in TextWrangler, and maybe what I'm asking for (two text columns in different places) is too complicated. How about just moving the textbox to the end of the gallery? Is that just a matter of rearranging a couple of lines of code? (Sorry, I've never edited a php document before.)

rickykappa / 2010-01-25 12:22:25   

richard, I've tried to edit exhibit.horizontal.php in order to move the text to the right and it works easily. You only need to invert line 60 and 61 and you're done.

btw, that's really a good photo work you did!

richardn / 2010-01-25 12:43:38   

Thanks Ricky. That works perfectly.

epsteinian / 2010-01-25 17:05:17   

Hey lemathieu A,

First, I just want to say that Columner is gorgeous.

Second, I'm using it to build out a simple index site and I couldn't find info anywhere about a page of yours that I could link to. Please let me know where to cite you so I can give credit where it's due!

Thanks!
Ian

lemathieu A / 2010-01-25 17:29:19   

hmplus.net

and for my site, as we say in France, "the cobbler have always the worst shoes"…
;)

arsondpi / 2010-01-25 18:09:13   

No spam lemathieu - no spam. Read the forum rules....
:-D

Vaska A / 2010-01-25 18:14:40   

Ooooooooooooooooooooh!

epsteinian / 2010-01-25 18:37:53   

Thanks a ton!

I'll include a link when the site goes live!

ivovaladares / 2010-01-26 21:35:28   

Hey. I'm having some costumizing issues with mine.
I'll check the forum for help otherwise I'll starti shooting questions.

Thanks

bradthrashin / 2010-01-27 05:35:18   

I love this theme. I am wondering is it (easily) possible to have a full-browser background image with this theme? Will it work with the FB plugin?

ivo_valadares / 2010-01-27 09:38:50   

Hey. Good morning.

I would like to know if is posible to have this kind of menu as seen on this Webpage, insted of the normal menu section. The reason for this is if you have many itens on the section they will be over what you're showing.

Thanks

lemathieu A / 2010-01-27 10:45:55   

@ bradthrashin : I would say yes… try ! ;)

@ ivo_valadares : search the forum for "drop down menu"

ivo_valadares / 2010-01-27 11:10:35   

Thanks lemathieu

ivo_valadares / 2010-01-27 16:01:53   

Hello, thanks lemathieu for your sugestion but to much complicated for my knowledge. Nevertheless I'll check it as soon I have more time.

Step by step the thing is getting closer.

I'm having a litle issue here with the CSS in the "property of the projects/exhibitions titles". Here is the code:

#menu ul li { /* property of the projects/exhibitions titles */
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    color: white;
    text-align: left;
    font-size: 8pt;
    width: auto;
    padding : 1px 0px 3px 1px;
    margin : 0px 0px 0px 0px;
    background: transparent url(/files/menu.png) repeat;
}

#menu ul li.active {
    text-decoration: none;
    background: transparent url(/files/menu1.png) repeat;

}    
#menu ul li.hover {
    background: transparent url(/files/menu2.png) repeat;

}

#menu p {
    color: black;
    width: auto;
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}

#menu ul a:link {
    color: #666666;
}

#menu ul a:active {
}

#menu ul a:visited {
}

#menu ul a:hover {    
    color: #999999;

}

If you see the way I have the menu you'll see there is a background image for active. It means that when I press the link the same one will remain in a diferent color until I choose a new one.

Folowing the same concept is the one for "hover" correct? It's not working. I would like when i go with the mouse over that would change the color.

Hope I explained myself.

Thanks for help

Ivo

Webpage

bradthrashin / 2010-01-27 16:20:56   

@lemathieu Would it be easier to put the image in the index file instead of using the plugin and editing that?

I dont want the background to change ever.

lemathieu A / 2010-01-27 20:24:43   

a fix image ? so, call it via css.

fransvax / 2010-01-28 14:33:27   

First, thank a million times for you columner theme!
It's fantastic! and it helped me a lot....

But just a little question; how would you change the position of the pre nav text (a logo on my web site) to be on the upper left position with the menu on the same line.
Because I tried simply to put position: left, but then all the menu is display under the logo....

Thank you very much anyway!

http://free-advice.be/

lemathieu A / 2010-01-30 15:45:32   

Just change that in style.css

#top-section {
left : 0;
margin: 25px 0px 0px 40px;
}
#top-section p {
}

Must also change litlle things in ie.css

markforsman / 2010-02-01 14:49:12   

This is perfect for what I had in mind. Thank you so much!

iwakami / 2010-02-01 17:27:23   

@Mathieu
This is really cool! Good work! : )

7 / 2010-02-02 19:46:46   

Nice nice.
Good work Mathieu.

bradthrashin / 2010-02-03 05:14:21   

Hi I have been fiddling with this theme and have two questions I can't figure out.

1st: How do I stop the section titles from being links.. I set a background image on hover and visited but dont want the section titles to appear this way and don't want them to even be links

and 2nd: How do I "push" the actual exhibits down when I have to many exhibits in the menu and it makes the menu area larger?

My exact problems here

lemathieu A / 2010-02-03 09:27:37   

@ bradthrashin : it's all commented in the style.css

1. /* MAIN CONTENT */
  2. #content {
  3. ¬†¬†¬†¬†float: left;
  4. ¬†¬†¬†¬†height: 400px;
  5. ¬†¬†¬†¬†display: inline;
  6. ¬†¬†¬†¬†margin: 8px 0px 0px 40px;
  7. ¬†¬†¬†¬†padding: 130px 0px 0px 0px; <strong>/* the first number sets the height start of the exhibitions zone / under your menu */</strong>
Mik / 2010-02-03 11:13:40   

oh wow!

this one's nice!
makes me want to change my site again.
damn you lemathieu! ;)

ivo_valadares / 2010-02-03 11:15:29   

About the menu long list that you might have some day you have to be carefull otherwise what you want to show will be only accesed by scrolling.

bradthrashin / 2010-02-03 21:03:38   

Thank you Mathieu!

As to my other question... I'm on a different computer today than i was when i posted earlier and now the section titles are no longer links(which is what i wanted). But why is it different? I am still using firefox.

check the site out here

and the above screengrab of how the titles appeared last night.

pk / 2010-02-04 11:16:10   

Awesome theme lemathieu...I have started using it but have one minor issue, when using it with 'grow' I find that all of the thumbnails are coloured with yellow borders.

Is there a way to remove the yellow from the thumbnails and just keep the menu links yellow only?

Simonp / 2010-02-04 11:49:57   

Again lemathieu, great work!!

Can anyone help? I have been playing around with this theme and I think its been a case of changing things without really knowing what I am doing. It would appear that I have managed to add a couple of pre nav parts that over lap and I can no longer get rid off.

I have searched the forum for help in removing or hiding the home nav (I want to keep "S phillipson graphic portoflio") i but I have had no luck with the advice given. I noticed that when in firebug I can remove

< li class="active">< a href="http://simonphillipson.com/" onclick="do_click();" >SIMON PHILLIPSON< /a>

but I cannot work out which bit I delete in the index.php to the home link permanently.

Secondly I wanted to create two columns for my portfolio section as that the list would be too long. I created a new section and hidden the name (its the column with "the time machine" project in". Any ideas on how i could this column of text to sit a little further down so its in line with the "dddd" project. Is there a better way of formatting this perhaps. If so could someone give me some hints of what to search so I can give it ago.

my site is www.simonphillipson.com

I would really appreciate some advice as it has been puzzling me for days now. Cheers!

pk / 2010-02-04 12:41:23   

@lemathieu

I'm hoping you can help me with this issue.
I have installed your theme and also used the code you suggested to move my pre-nav to the top left hand corner of the screen. The problem I have now is that because I use the 'horizontal' exhibition, whenever I view my work with the horizontal scroll my pre-nav logo moves with it.

Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean:

Screenshot

The code I am using for my pre-nav in the style.css is:

#top-section {
left : 0;
margin: 20px 0px 0px 30px;
}
#top-section p {
}

Do you know why my pre-nav logo might be moving with the horizontal exhibition?

This thread has been closed, thank you.