Keep a HTML - image menu active

derbalmer / 2010-01-31 18:09:05   

We have built an indexhibit site for a freind of us and created a customized gif-image menu with HTML and Javascript.

www.virginieterrasse.com

the problem is the following:
There are some pages (in mode hidden) after an overview there are some kind of albums which are not listed directly in the menu and therefore on some kind of a second level.

the problem is that we didn't found a solution to keep the menupoint on "active" if we are either on a normal or a sub-content page.

any suggestions would be very appreciated!

thanxx!!!
Thom

Vaska A / 2010-01-31 21:35:12   

How did you make the image nav? Are they dynamically generated images via javascript?

derbalmer / 2010-02-01 08:53:22   

no, it's a static HTML based menu. just replaced the code block from indexhibit with my own...

the update needs therefore a changing of the index.php file, only thing in javascript is the rollover.

derbalmer / 2010-02-04 10:17:13   

i found this script but can't get a real solution out of it:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-19121.html

someone, please... :-P

Vaska A / 2010-02-04 10:23:25   

An easier approach to this kind of thing is Cufon - just search it up and see if it's what you had in mind...

derbalmer / 2010-02-04 13:02:14   

i think it's ok to do the menu with gif images (and it's saver crossbrowserwise) this is not the problem of using fonts - i just wanted to control the status "active" on my menu if i click on a sub-gallery...

rollovers works fine with javascript but the active status i can't manage to control ...

Vaska A / 2010-02-04 13:13:05   

Well, we don't normally support all the scripts out there - the one you posted. It's not possible...we have our hands full here as it is.

The problem with your 'index' is that it has no way to signify the 'active' state. I don't know why you can't simply rewrite it and keep the active state outputting as it should - this is kind of the point of having dynamic scripts. Your HTML index simply can't do this...

It would give you the one missing tool you need to solve this problem. I'm sorry, but the problem here is with your approach - it's not technically an issue with Indexhibit (because you have taken it's tools away here).

Otherwise, compare the url to the urls in the index to determine 'active' and then toss an active state onto it and then work accordingly. Which is essentially the same thing as allowing the index to be driven by script and not HTML.

derbalmer / 2010-02-04 15:05:47   

Thanks very much i will look into this the way you suggest ant cross my fingers that i can solve the problem - i'm designer and not a programmer :-)

again thanks and cheers

------

btw - indexhibit is really a great tool to create simple sites!! so thanks to you guys to share this with us...

blameme / 2010-02-05 13:38:30   

I second the Cufón suggestion, it´s very easy to set up and will give you way more flexibility in the long run, not to mention not having to make new images for every update.
This thread has more info.

This thread has been closed, thank you.