moving indexhibit directory

the_wurst / 2008-02-17 07:36:22   

i'm helping a friend with his website and i installed indexhibit in a test directory so we could work on it before launching it live. when we finished editing it i moved all the files to the root directory. i'm guessing this was a bad idea. i just don't know how to fix it. help?

Vaska A / 2008-02-17 11:59:29   

Should work just fine...be sure you move your .htaccess file as well.

What isn't working?

the_wurst / 2008-02-17 16:44:12   

i had to delete the htaccess as per the instructions.

owen / 2008-07-31 18:15:38   

Mine was fine after I moved .htaccess and fixed some accidental absolute urls.

AntoineD / 2008-08-10 12:59:06   

interesting subject…

I'm currently testing Indexhibit locally, using 'Mamp'.

Looks like I can complete my local website before uploading folders & mysql base to a web server?

Can someone confirm?

Otherwise, well… I'll keep you posted as I try :D

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-08-10 14:00:49   

No problem with building a site with Mamp and test locally, then move the files to the server and you get your site online.

You Just have to be careful about your database data if you do not know how to import/export the data using phpMySQL this can become a frustrating experience if you're not too technicaly inclined.

And like owen says, watch out for "accidental absolute urls".

beliasas / 2008-08-13 21:14:20   

if i move my site to other server and the database happens to be named differently, where do i found a file with the hostname, database, username and password values???

Vaska A / 2008-08-13 21:21:57   

/ndxz-studio/config/config.php

;)

beliasas / 2008-08-13 21:33:00   

... my god!!! how could i possibly miss that? O_o`
thank you Vaska!

josephallen / 2008-11-20 02:08:03   

I moved my site from http://www.josephallenkohlhas.com/portfolio into the root directory http://www.josephallenkohlhas.com

The front page of the site renders fine, however when I follow a link to one of the other pages, I get: "Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server. Apache Server at josephallenkohlhas.com Port 80"

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

paperbrigade / 2009-04-16 16:25:49   

Help!

So I made the site in the directory /new but I want to move it to the root directory.

So I moved the files and the site itself works on the frontend, the only issue I ran into was whenever I made changes in the Admin it would ask me to login everytime I made changes.

Any ideas what's calling that? I know the htaccess is working for clean urls cause it works. But yeah the only issue is the admin stuff not saving.

paulbarbato / 2009-09-17 04:40:38   

i have similar trouble, i cannot even access the root folder, i"m making the website for a friend. The root folder is locked, is there any way around this???

i tried to install indexhibit in different folder in new directory but no luck.

My friends current website is still up, do i need to take it down in order to do this? or can they co-exist??

can i take it down without deleting it? could i change the permissions or something so her website is not being read so i can sneek this indexhibit in there???

does that make sensE?

paulbarbato / 2009-09-17 05:21:23   

i asked the server people if i was allowed to use indexhibit on thi server and this is what they said.

Hello,

All of our shared hosting servers meet or exceed these requirements. We use FreeBSD, a flavor of UNIX, instead of Linux, but that should be analagous enough for your needs.

I'm not 100% sure mod_rewrite is enabled by default, but it is available for use. It would not be a horrible idea to put the code into your .htaccess file to enable it before your rewrite rules either way. Some information about using mod_rewrite with a .htaccess file can be found here:
http://webmastertips.us/tutorials/mod_rewrite.htm

what the hell is he saying?

paulbarbato / 2009-09-17 05:22:37   

i asked the server people if i was allowed to use indexhibit on thi server and this is what they said.

Hello,

All of our shared hosting servers meet or exceed these requirements. We use FreeBSD, a flavor of UNIX, instead of Linux, but that should be analagous enough for your needs.

I'm not 100% sure mod_rewrite is enabled by default, but it is available for use. It would not be a horrible idea to put the code into your .htaccess file to enable it before your rewrite rules either way. Some information about using mod_rewrite with a .htaccess file can be found here:
http://webmastertips.us/tutorials/mod_rewrite.htm

what the hell is he saying?

Vaska A / 2009-09-17 07:22:39   

He's saying the server works just fine.

maxwell / 2009-10-13 08:00:22   

I'm posting questions everywhere... I'm still confused on where to point my document's root directory when building an indexhibit site locally. I believe I've drifted far outside my knowledge base. haha

This is where it's pointed presently and I cannot "View Your Site"

/Users/max/Desktop/indexhibitv070e/ndxz-studio

lemathieu A / 2009-10-13 08:23:00   

@ maxwell
please don't "triple post"
thanks

maxwell / 2009-10-13 08:28:59   

Rightly shamed. Won't happen again. : )

Vaska A / 2009-10-13 10:55:17   

You are building this locally on your Mac? We can't really support you on this...you need to know what you are doing. There are too many things involved to make this happen that way...

sakisan / 2009-10-16 14:00:12   

Hello all and thanks so much for this work and sharing!

I'd like to move only my homepage file to the root directory (the index.php which is in the first level in my indexhibit test folder) and keep all the others files in the test folder.
I tryed changing the location where i found the adress "ndxz-studio/" putting the level more before but it doesn't work :-(

Thanks in advance for your help
you'll get all my noob's attention!

sakisan / 2009-10-19 11:12:03   

is there anyone to help?
thks...

arsondpi / 2009-10-19 11:59:03   

it's not gonna work this way out of the box - you'll break the system.
Why would you want to do that?

sakisan / 2009-10-19 12:06:37   

Hello arsondpi,
thks for the answer. I would avoid to move all the files from my test folder and thought (using wordpress on other sides) that could be more secure to not have all the files on the root directory in the same place than the homepage.

arsondpi / 2009-10-19 12:13:39   

You should consider moving either cms to subdomains (www.blog.sakisan.com or www.indexhibit.sakisan.com) ...
If you don't know what a subdomain is search the web and ask you host to help you out with this.

Sorry but I can't help you with this any further...

SB9038 / 2010-01-05 11:03:20   

Hello,
May I go back to the original enquiry? I too have created the site in a sub-directory, and would now like to move it into the root. When I do this, my home page loads up fine but any pages beyond this are "Not Found". I have included the .htaccess file when I moved everything (as mentioned above). Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Best,
Sam

SB9038 / 2010-01-05 11:04:36   

Also, @ owen, how did you fix those accidental URLs?

SB9038 / 2010-01-05 11:16:22   

Problem solved. My htaccess wasn't .htaccess (with a dot).
Thanks anyway

mixo / 2010-02-16 16:42:07   

ciao to all, please we need help about installation
we are connect with cyberduck to our server, we have copy the indexhibit folders and change permission and delete install.php, everything seems to be in the root folder, but when we try to connect with browser to our website/ndxz-studio to edit the website, says internal sever error. please what is the problem? thank you very much - f

arsondpi / 2010-02-16 17:43:06   

No one knows... not until you post an address :-D

mixo / 2010-02-17 15:31:37   

ciao, yes
our website is www.medionauta.org
thank you very much
f

Vaska A / 2010-02-17 15:35:26   

I can't find the files anywhere - you need to ask your host where to place files on your server.

mixo / 2010-02-17 16:26:15   

ei! thank you , we did it ciao

Klara / 2010-03-25 12:05:00   

I have the kind of oppisite yet not, I want to change my site to being bi-lingual with now Swedish as the default language. I therefor want to move my whole site to /en and make and install everything a new. Is it still just to be careful with the htaccess and direct links?

I changed my .htaccess to htaccess before (I think I needed to in order to get clean url) will that be an issue when moving? Thinking of what SB9038 said about it..

My site is klaranilsson.com

Klara / 2010-03-25 12:05:14   

I have the kind of oppisite yet not, I want to change my site to being bi-lingual with now Swedish as the default language. I therefor want to move my whole site to /en and make and install everything a new. Is it still just to be careful with the htaccess and direct links?

I changed my .htaccess to htaccess before (I think I needed to in order to get clean url) will that be an issue when moving? Thinking of what SB9038 said about it..

My site is klaranilsson.com

Kind regards,
Klara

Klara / 2010-03-25 20:09:00   

ok, so I also ran into some difficulties.. I then tried to reinstall _everything_ in two folders. My webhotel told me I could then just install in each of the folders /se and /en without problems, I can't log into separate databases now . But later I have understood that I couldnt cause a prefix something, awaiting assistance for that. So Now the big issue is that no file-path really seems to work.. My logo is shown in the first page but not if i look at on of the exhibitions.. I could really need some help!

There is really nothing here now since I'm starting from scratch again...but to show my problem. The logo-file is in /files
klaranilsson.com

Vaska A / 2010-03-25 20:12:34   

I can't understand the question...please...just a short question that I can focus on.

Klara / 2010-03-25 20:28:13   

Oh sorry.
I tried to install in two folders. (Didn't work so I think I have one database for two indexhibits..) Now I upload my logo and add in the Pre Nav for one of them and i can only see it when I come to the main-page, my crappy site. Click on an exhibition and it dissappears?..

Thankyou for your quick response!

Klara / 2010-03-25 20:28:13   

Oh sorry.
I tried to install in two folders. (Didn't work so I think I have one database for two indexhibits..) Now I upload my logo and add in the Pre Nav for one of them and i can only see it when I come to the main-page, my crappy site. Click on an exhibition and it dissappears?..

Thankyou for your quick response!

Klara / 2010-03-25 20:29:22   

actually it happens with any file I give a path to myself..

arsondpi / 2010-03-25 21:13:31   

I'm not sure of your setup... I mean the directory setup...

It's like it double reads the files directory...
You have to thinkbackwards with this - get the files/folders setup right.
...or you can reinstall without losing content - check the useful threads post about this...

Klara / 2010-03-25 21:20:50   

arsondpi: Is that what it does? It must be something with the other exhibit i installed then.. I think actually a reinstall is the best solution. I really learnt a lot this evening!

Thankyou so much for your quick help!

Kind regards,
Klara

Klara / 2010-03-26 08:37:12   

Man, I have reinstalled it all and still something isn't right with the image-tag in the prenav... It just dissappears when you go anywhere else than the main page. Also the random-image doesnt work very well.. Whats going on?

manifest77 / 2010-07-20 02:47:25   

My site is manifest77.com/indexhibit
I would like it to be manifest77.com (which is a domain I have registered).
I believe I may need to put my files in a different folder in order to do this (someone else set this site up for me, so I'm really stumbling trying to figure this out).
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Erik

arsondpi / 2010-07-20 06:55:29   

We can't realy help you with this sort of information....
You're paying your host good money for hosting service, so I would suggest to send them an email and ask them which is the root folder in your server.
Certain webhosts have live chat enabled so maybe they can guide you finding your html root folder in realtime...

manifest77 / 2010-07-20 13:00:54   

Thanks for responding. I will do what you have suggested. Once I have determined which folder is my root, which folder(s) should live directly inside of it? Is it the ndxz-studio folder?

Thanks again for any help,
Erik

manifest77 / 2010-07-21 01:44:24   

got it worked out.
thanks arsondpi.

meredithgn / 2010-09-13 19:25:26   

Having the same problem as josehpallen and SB9038. I created my website in a subfolder (not realizing I should only upload the contents of the Indexhibit folder, and not the folder itself...). I copied and pasted all the files into my root folder, including .htaccess. Now the main page works as a clean URL, but when I try to click on any of the links I get a "404 file not found" page. Any idea what I can do to fix this? Website is www.meredith-nelson.com

Vaska A / 2010-09-13 19:34:53   

I'm not sure the .htaccess file is really in the root. Are you sure?

Main always works as a clean url...

meredithgn / 2010-09-14 00:52:23   

I'm about 95% sure it's in the right place, but I can double-check with my webhost. The root folder is "public_html" and I put .htaccess there. There is a folder within public_html that is called ndxz-studio. Should I put it there instead? Or, should I move the contents of "ndxz-studio" directly into the root folder?

meredithgn / 2010-09-17 04:19:07   

I double checked and am now pretty much 100% sure .htaccess is in the root folder, and that there is only one. I am now out of ideas for how to fix this. Maybe the best thing to do would be delete indexhibit and start over?

This thread has been closed, thank you.