Embedding Wordpress for news

waffl / 2008-02-28 08:31:41   

*** To make a long story short, my question can be summed up quite succintly as this: Is there any way to render a php page as html before including it in another php file to avoid problems with dependencies/includes ??? ***

---

Hi,
First of all, many thanks for indexhibit, it is fantastic and is suited perfectly to the needs I have. However, I have a question about embedding wordpress for management of news etc.

I've installed wordpress in an alternate directory, /blog with a simple theme.

I have indexhibit in another directory, /indexhibit. Ideally, I want wordpress to show up in a section called 'news'

I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend how to combine the two.

I've tried iframes, but the inability for it to act as one single page (double scrollbars) is not preferred.

I've tried writing a php plugin to include wordpress, but it fails due to required includes/paths. I've tried using set_include_path but it just doesn't work for some reason.

I've tried including the indexhibit menu in wordpress, but again, include paths don't work and it just says "database is not installed".

I have tried looking for ways to make wordpress render static html, but haven't had any luck.

Anyways, it's really confusing me and I am really hoping someone has any ideas on how to approach this?

Thanks so much,
Alan

Vaska A / 2008-02-28 18:05:33   

It's not that hard. I'm not sure what you are talking about there mostly...

Install Wordpress.
Download the iframed plugin.
Set it up.
Done.

drizzle / 2008-02-28 21:41:10   

I think waffl want to got the wordpress menu into the indexhibit's menus.. isn it?

Vaska A / 2008-02-28 23:55:25   

The only way, currently, to get Wordpress into the menu is either via the iframed plugin or by adding it to either the Pre or Post-Nav sections.

The iframed plugin works very well...here is a nice example of it in action:

http://www.lapremiere.org/blog/

We will be releasing a simple blog module for Indexhibit in the near future. But it is not intended to contain all the things that Wordpress does. Simple...means simple.

;)

waffl / 2008-02-29 06:15:14   

Hi!
Thanks so much for the prompt responses – lapremiere is exactly what I want. I tried the iframed plugin but I had problems because the iframe would only take up a part of the page and then add a second set of scroll bars.

I figured it out!

Turns out I had modified the CSS of #menu and gotten rid of bottom: 0;

Adding it back in fixed everything up and it works perfectly!

Thanks again for the help!

Vaska A / 2008-02-29 08:29:39   

Great!

waffl / 2008-03-01 03:26:22   

Hello!
I'm sorry to be a bother, but now I seem to be encountering a strange problem. In Safari, on the initial load of the page, the iframe doesn't fill the whole page. As soon as you resize the window, or reload the page, then it works as it should... very odd. I wonder if there is some kind of conflicting CSS?

link

Thanks again for your continued help!
Alan

Vaska A / 2008-03-01 11:50:34   

Yeah, that's very peculiar...after refresh it's just fine.

I'm not sure if this would do anything...but for that exhibit entry did you turn off Page Processing? And, be sure that you have nothing else (not even blank lines) before and after the plugin?

Keep us posted...

Vaska A / 2008-03-01 11:54:32   

You know...have you customized up your css much? Or, any new javascript additions? I think there is a conflict...check this...

http://alanwoo.ca/index.php?/project/valley-retriever/

You see how initially when it loads you can see an image behind the first image? Seems like javascript isn't completing its operations.

waffl / 2008-03-06 05:13:56   

Hello,
sorry about the delay in replying. I am further confused because now this problem only seems to happen about once a day?? I find that the first time I check the site after a while, the problem happens. Afterwards, it doesn't. Even if I empty the history and the cache?

There is nothing in the page except . Page processing is off, no blank lines etc...

I noticed that problem with the slideshow as well.

I haven't played with any of the js in jquery, but I have played with the CSS – I've tried to mimic the styles for #menu and #content as closely as possible with a few changes to the margins. Are there any styles that need to remain a specific setting to work properly?

Another question, which may be silly: I've got a bunch of jquery and css in the iframed page, but that shouldn't affect anything correct?

Thanks again for your help, I know you are busy!
alan

Edit: I actually just tried replacing the index.php and style.css with those from the 'sample', emptied cache, and still had problems with the image behind showing up in front in the slideshow (if larger)... Again, this only seems to be happening in safari :(

waffl / 2008-03-06 06:09:10   

Okay!
Well, I took a look at the jquery that is used by indexhibit and noticed it was using 1.1.2, just to see if it would make a difference, I replaced it with the most recent 1.2.3 and while I'm not sure if anything has broken as a consequence, it seems to have fixed everything else in terms of the slideshow issues and also, from what I can tell, the iframe?

Is it working on your end now?

thanks!

Vaska A / 2008-03-06 08:47:20   

Cool, looks good.

Yeah, part of the idea with the upgrade will be that pushing up updates to anything will be super easy and fast. Upgrading Jquery as well...

waffl / 2008-03-29 05:51:35   

Hi Vaska,
I'm sorry to bother you again, but for some reason this problem started happening again. I have spent the past six hours trying to figure out what is going on. If you open the page in safari from the address bar, the iframe doesn't stretch. If you hit refresh, it works.

Here is what I have tested:

1) Go to eatock style - OK, no problems
2) Go to ORIGINAL sample style - Doesn't work
3) Copy sample style over my style - Doesn't work
4) Copy eatock CSS over my style - Doesn't work

If someone has -any- clue what is going on, I would be endlessly grateful.

This problem happens only where there are iframes:

http://alanwoo.ca

http://alanwoo.ca/say-hello

Thanks so much,
Alan

waffl / 2008-03-29 05:58:04   

OOOOOOOOK. Well, turns out 'Reset Safari' worked :) I asked a friend to check and turns out, it was my Safari. Lovely! Should have asked that ages ago.

Thanks,
Alan

waffl / 2008-03-29 07:14:56   

AAAARRRGGGH

OK, so no, it doesn't work... Can anyone reproduce this error in Safari? Try clicking on the top-left circle too...

Vaska A / 2008-03-29 14:09:15   

I can't...works just fine for me.

Safari has some very aggressive caching issues...I really have to fight with it sometimes to not remember things in certain ways.

This thread has been closed, thank you.