jquery image slider not working

bnjmn / 2010-03-28 08:52:56   

i followed the tutorial as best i could from this video and had it working on my site for about a week until i had a friend help me make adjustments and lost the html code that worked. so i have been trying to rebuild it but have had no luck getting this slider to work again. my site is right here. any help would be awesome. if not, is there an easier image slider that works well with the whole indexhibit frame work? i'm desperate so please, someone try to help me.

Vaska A / 2010-03-28 10:06:29   

What is an image slider?

bnjmn / 2010-03-28 10:09:49   

it is a javascript (jquery) script that allows the image to slide to the next one on the click of an arrow.

please watch the video i posted to see how it's supposed to function versus how mine is functioning

Vaska A / 2010-03-28 10:12:41   

And how is yours functiong? Can you show us the exact page it's on?

And, the video above has nothing to do with Indexhibit except that we use Jquery for things...big difference between the two.

bnjmn / 2010-03-28 10:14:06   

THIS is what it's supposed to be doing

but for some reason won't work the same inside of indexhibit

bnjmn / 2010-03-28 10:14:43   

where it isn't working

Vaska A / 2010-03-28 10:31:23   

You're doing it wrong.

If you want to create a new exhibition format you need to create an exhibition format. Dumping all this code into the textarea isn't necessarily going to do anything - likely, it will not do anything.

I recommend that you study the existing exhibition formats to get an idea how they are being built...and then try again.

bnjmn / 2010-03-28 10:47:04   

im completely un-savvy when it comes to code or programming. is there a place where i can do this easily? i've pieced this site together on my own for the most part and any help would be appreciated.

would there be a more efficient/easier way to do an image slider?

Vaska A / 2010-03-28 10:59:43   

If you want something custom you will need to get in there and work on it. If you come up with a demo you can show us we can try to help then.

bnjmn / 2010-03-28 11:03:10   

alright, in the mean time can you think of or recommend another java/jquery image slider that has worked in the past for users? something with a right and left arrow

arsondpi / 2010-03-28 11:44:22   

there's so many of them... Type jquery carousel in a web search box...
Choose the one that seems to be as lightweight as easy to use...

bnjmn / 2010-03-28 12:19:53   

honestly, you're talking to a real noob, i have no clue what a lightweight jquery file looks like. haha. i also don't really know what kind of file integrates with indexhibit well or how to even set up a new page with such javascript enabled. perhaps theres a thread where someone has struggled as much as i have to grasp this whole situation but i'm pretty lost. i appreciate your help thus far, but really need some more in-depth information as to what exactly i need to achieve such an image slider

arsondpi / 2010-03-28 17:01:48   

to be honest you'd have to know code to get a few things done...
You can try the How to build a plugin tutorial and go through threads that deal with building plugins... and, last but not least, the Useful threads post in the top of the forum.

blameme / 2010-03-29 10:55:33   

bnjmn, search the forum for slideshow, sliderpro, slider or iwakami. All of which are slideshow exhibition formats.

Leetomic / 2012-03-06 00:32:20   

Hello, I downloaded a indxhibit slider at here:

http://index.bagofcats.net/formats/visual-index-section/

And it works well on Mac but not works on Window.
The site above is working on window well but my site is not working on window.
Can you help me ?
www.leetomic.com

pernin / 2012-03-06 01:22:47   

I don't know what you mean. I'm on linux at the moment and it's working well. Can't test on windows but it shouldn't make any difference: it's usually not the OS but the browser and its version. I bet you mean some version of Ineternet Explorer

If you could check more exactly where, with what and how it's *not* working?

Leetomic / 2012-03-07 10:04:02   

Hello, Pernin A. Thank you for your reply.
I will show you how it works and doesn't work.

Mac VS window

My site doesn't show slider and it is just white blank. By the way, On mac, It works well as you can see on the picture. I tested it on Window XP and 7. They don't load images. Please help!

pernin / 2012-03-07 10:14:09   

nope, I tested on windows too and it works: it's not windows, it's internet explorer: testing with IE9 I see that it breaks down at the method Tooltip in jquery.slideviewer.1.1.js

being Mac, Windows or Linux generally doesn't affect the result, browsers do: always test in different browsers

and no, I'm sorry, I don't know enough javascript to fix this for IE :/

Leetomic / 2012-03-19 10:21:27   

Yes, You are right. It's not working on Internet Explore.
But Many people are still using the IE.
Is there anyway to fix the problem?

www.leetomic.com
( working on Firefox,safri,crome but not working on Internet Explore. !! Webpage

pernin / 2012-03-19 12:11:50   

I don't know, you'll have to google this, unless someone else in the forum has an idea

important about browsers:

first check what version of internet explorer you are testing on. The most used one is IE8, and mainly because of institutional and corporate use. The olther versions are probably not worth worrying about, less than 2% people using them

IE9 is not much of an issue, as it hasn't spread so much yet (it's about 8% generic), and there's the question whether it will ever spread much more

you have to focus on the browsers do your visitors actually use: you either use google analytics in your site, or your host's statistics package (usually webalizer or something like that) has that kind of information

This thread has been closed, thank you.