Remove Slideshow Fade

displaytype / 2008-03-19 16:16:48   

I would like to remove the slide show fading in and out effect and just have the images click from one to the next.

I have located this piece of code:

global $timeout;
return "$(document).ready(function(){
$('#s1').cycle({
fx:'fade',
speed:'2000',
timeout: 0,
next:'#next', prev:'#prev'});
});";

I assume this is what needs to be changed but I don't know what to change or remove. When I have removed things it has either broken it or done nothing.

I am really loving Indexhibit overall though, I think it's a fantastic piece of software.

Thanks,
-Ben

Vaska A / 2008-03-19 16:59:18   

It's funny...but that's not a built-in option. This page explains how to make a custom transition...which is what you would need to do.

http://www.malsup.com/jquery/cycle/adv2.html

The fade is my complaint with this plugin as well...I sort of find these kinds of effects un-Indexhibit-like.

displaytype / 2008-03-19 20:17:26   

Thanks for the info, I was able to figure out something I like even better based on that.

http://www.societyofchampions.com/index.php?/posters/testing/

I agree that fade effect felt very un-Indexhbit-like because it was kinda cheesy and not at all sophisticated.

I think the one I'm using now is pretty slick without calling to much attention to itself, although it wouldn't work well for images of varying sizes.

Vaska A / 2008-03-19 22:31:22   

It's not bad...the limitation here is that all the images need to be the exact same size though, right? Which isn't a problem if you are good with that.

;)

youmustfeed / 2008-03-21 09:30:31   

howdy do.

ive had a filddle with slideshow and changed jquery to the newer version. Ive altered slideshow to use scrollleft (and scrollhrz). The problem ive got is when the image has moved into position it disappears - you can view them during the transition but once its in place it disappears.

any idea why? (at the minute, the site is running locally).

Vaska A / 2008-03-21 10:03:12   

i can't remember what we did...but we hacked up the plugin a little bit so perhaps that's causing this?

use Firebug in Firefox and see if it's reporting any javascript errors when the transition plays. or, upgrade to Safari 3.1 and it too has javascript error reporting now built-in (enable the developer tools).

youmustfeed / 2008-03-21 10:46:36   

hmmm.....annoyingly, I couldnt notice anything.

Vaska, are you available for commissioned work? I want to tweak (slightly) the slideshow plugin (so its got a line underneath the slideshow bit with copyright message) aaaand so it works properly using the scrollLeft transition (basically so jquery works properly) - could you help me out? I hate to have to ask but ive spent the best part of two days breaking/then unbreaking this!!! :)

If you can, drop me an email to michael [at] youmustfeed [dot] com

thanks mate. mike

Vaska A / 2008-03-21 10:52:24   

Yes. ;)

southafrica / 2011-12-25 10:43:28   

Hi there,

Maybe you've figured this out already (seeing as this thread is so old) but the new jQuery addressed this problem.

1. Download the new jQuery min file and rename it to jquery.js and upload it to ndxz-studio/site/js replacing the old one.

2. Open ndxz-studio/site/plugin/exhibit.slideshow.php and under the dynamicJS function, change the option speed to 0.

Hope it helps.

This thread has been closed, thank you.