Menu Index Transparency Rollover

alexg / 2010-05-29 22:48:00   

Hey everyone.
I was just wondering if there was a way to have the entire index go from an opacity of 50% or so to an opacity of 100% when the mouse rolls over. I've managed to edit the style.css file to make the index somewhat transparent but can't figure out how to integrate a hover property for a mouse over instance.
I'm completely unfamiliar with coding so I've just tried looking through some of the resources given to learn some things about html/css. Any suggestions?
url: alexgreenhut.com

Thanks so much!

Vaska A / 2010-05-30 04:33:34   

Hover property over the entire index? I'm not sure about that...probably with javascript but I'm not sure if CSS could pull the whole thing off (or it could with a ton of rules, maybe).

alexg / 2010-05-30 18:40:55   

hmm, thank you. i'll give that a shot.
could you point me in the direction of a good place to learn how to do that with javascript?

Vaska A / 2010-05-30 20:55:01   

As I mentioned...the reason why this is more complicated than you would think is because it's an entire region...these links might help...

re: Jquery .hover

Jquery .mouseover

I did something similar on a project not long ago and I ended up using traditional javascript to track the mouse around and when it got to a particular region it would fire things up - which I don't recommend because it's not the most elegant solution.

arsondpi / 2010-05-31 08:36:48   

did you try cheating with css?

#menu { opacity: 0.5; etc etc... }
#menu:hover { opacity: 1; etc etc... }

rickykappa / 2010-05-31 09:35:56   

I've used javascript as well to hide/show the menu onmouseover
here

Vaska A / 2010-05-31 09:39:00   

CSS won't work because #menu is technically covered with inner elements - which is why a javascript solution that will traverse down the DOM to check the hover status throughout is needed.

Lol...did I just write that? I need to quit my job and become a farmer...in the beginning I never wanted to even know or understand code.

This thread has been closed, thank you.