customize font on internet explorer

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 08:40:01   

hi there!

Thanx to indexhibit and this forum I was able to make my very first site and learning everything all by myself.
take a look at: www.patrycjadomanska.com

Building it I checked it always on safari and firefox.
accidently I saw it yesterday on internet explorer, it doesn't look great but it's ok except of the fact that the font is changing in the menu points press and info.
( in safari and firefox it is helvetica/arial and in internet explorer this parts change to georgia)

So I made a test changing the body font in my style.css from georgia to helvetica and it changed.

So my problem is that i do not want internet explorer to take the body font, but the h tags I related.

Can u help me?
greez

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 08:40:54   

is it possible that the problem is the letter spacing??? so that ie is not able to use the spaced font and takes then georgia?

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 08:57:45   

i found out thats not because of the letter spacing!
can anybody help?

thank you!

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 08:57:46   

i found out thats not because of the letter spacing!
can anybody help?

thank you!

arsondpi / 2010-08-09 09:46:32   

seriously....

1. body {
  2. ¬†¬†¬†¬†background: #fff;
  3. ¬†¬†¬†¬†text-align: left;
  4. ¬†¬†¬†¬†text-transform: lowercase;
  5. ¬†¬†¬†¬†color: black;
  6. ¬†¬†¬†¬†font: italic bold 12px/1.5em Georgia}

...?

Plus you got your semantics wrong.
You have a heading set in an h3 and h4 tag, decription with an h2 tag and your main text in h1,h5 tags...
Why?
I suggest you read a bit more about semantics...

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 10:31:48   

so it's my first page...I'm tryin' u know!

the body is in georgia because of the underpoints of the exhibits in the menu....they should be in georgia.

what is wrong with the semantics?
does it have to be chronological?
i dont understand that, because, these h1 - h5 work on internet explorer as they should...the others not..

cant u give me a hint what to do? that would be great, cause im sitting on this site like for a month...

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 10:34:21   

the menu points press and info are messed up, concept and project works as i want to...

Vaska A / 2010-08-09 10:54:05   

Pindaros..."semantics"? Ummm, I'm not sure about that advice...

I'm making a better answer...hold on. ;)

Vaska A / 2010-08-09 10:58:06   

Ok, Pindaros is pointing to the problem, which is pretty simple.

1. body {
  6. ¬†¬†¬†¬†font: italic bold 12px/1.5em Georgia}

You see where it says "Georgia"? That should be the font you want/need - not Georgia. Probably something like this...

1. body {
  6. ¬†¬†¬†¬†font: italic bold 12px/1.5em Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; }

Make sene now?

Your site looks good...you did this yourself? This is your first website that you created? Not bad...

;)

Vaska A / 2010-08-09 10:58:50   

PS: A great resource for understanding a little more about CSS and 'font'...

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_font.asp

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 11:29:32   

hey vaska!
thanx for answering, yeah its the first one! it was so much work for me because i had no idea of doing a homepage before at all.

now i understand a little bit more.

so back to the problem: i'm not sure if you guys know what i mean.

i changed the font in my body before to helvetica. and i dont understand why only some things are changing like:

- the title under the section title ( like sono love, kopfueber,..) - is there a possibility to change that somewhere else, maybe in the container so that the font affects only this?
- the content of about (section title info) changes completely maybe because I have two columns?
- and everything containing in the section titles press and info what is in helvetica changes to georgia, if i change body to helvetica it changes to helvetica, but why? i tagged everything with h1,h2,.....h10 tags....so they should work like they do also in projects and concepts, shouldn't they?

i.e. is so exhausting... :(

Vaska A / 2010-08-09 11:33:05   

Because, as you look through your CSS rules you have defined fonts in other places around your site.

There is a principal called 'inheritance' that works through a site - from the top downwards...

If you specify a font in the body tag the entire site will use that font. But, if you specifiy, further down the chain, a special font for h3 then you will get that. You need to search for the other fonts in your CSS and either remove them or make adjustments...

Personally, I don't support IE6 on my own projects anymore. I was spending nearly 50% of my time dealing with IE issues - giving up on 6 made life so much easier. Many of my projects are basically 'experimental' - if I'm building a super standard site, of course, it would be easy to support IE6...anyways...I don't think your problem here is entirely IE related...

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 11:38:05   

ok then i will clean that up and search!
can u only tell me one thing:
i searched the forum but because of the fact that i dont know the name of it it's quite complicated to find the solution.

i have 4 section titles and in these titles there are other titles...whats the name of that? and how it is it possible to change them (except in the body)?

Vaska A / 2010-08-09 11:42:25   

Section section...on the tutorials page there is a note about this. I think this is what you are asking about...

You can simply unpublish and republish pages if you need to get the URL to be something different (read that tutorial first though).

arsondpi / 2010-08-09 11:50:36   

Yes Vaska semantics.... Our friend got his h tags and page structure mangled.
But did you care to look at this page with all css styles disabled? But nooooo - it's Pindaros fault....

:-P :-P :-P

Vaska A / 2010-08-09 11:52:15   

Why would I even bother to look at that when it's more convenient to blame all the problems on you? Bad, bad, bad Pindaros!

;)

Patrycja / 2010-08-09 12:16:25   

so i wanna change the font of the section section, where can i do that except in the body?

juliaT / 2010-09-04 22:34:02   

Hello,

I would like to make sure that the font I used -Letter Ghotic Std- can be seen on other computer even if they dont'have it in there system.

I wrote this in the style.css:

1. <codebody {
  2. ¬†¬†¬†¬†font-size: 12px;
  3. ¬†¬†¬†¬†font-weight: bold;
  4. ¬†¬†¬†¬†font-family: Letter Gothic Std, Letter Gothic, sans-Serif;>

my page
( the linkage to Indexhibit is in the credits section ;)

Thank you in advance !

This thread has been closed, thank you.