Main Page background only

jhmcknight / 2010-09-15 23:14:32   

Hey,

So I want an image to only show up on my main page when the clients first type in jhmcknight.com So I upload my background image to main under my admin pane and it shows a red X like the image is missing but When I upload the image to contacts the image shows up perfect, but on all the pages when I only want it on the 'main' page.

How do I make it so just the image works on the main page and no other pages....

This is frustrating the crap out of me.

Vaska A / 2010-09-15 23:29:50   

I see the background image on both pages...this sounds like a browser caching issue. Make liberal use of shift + browser refresh to see these kinds of things.

jhmcknight / 2010-09-15 23:34:24   

Well what I mean is I only want it on the one page, the main page (jhmcknight.com)

When you click on any of my other things, contacts, keni kae, carmen, the background image is there too, I dont want it there....

Vaska A / 2010-09-15 23:39:27   

I think the problem here is that you have loaded up a plugin that is intended for all pages of the site - not just one. You would need to edit the plugin to only show on the 'main' page.

You could specify it simply with something like:

1. if ($rs['url'] == '/') { ...
  2. // or even
  3. if ($rs['id'] == 1) { ...

Would work just fine.

jhmcknight / 2010-09-15 23:40:22   

vaska... im so lost... where would I put this at?

Vaska A / 2010-09-15 23:41:11   

You know, it's not my place to say much about peoples designs...but weren't you the one asking how to do that effect from another persons site? I have to wonder if it would be a good idea that you do something to make it not as close to theirs...

Just my two cents...for whatever it's worth (not much). ;)

jhmcknight / 2010-09-15 23:46:17   

well I am new to this whole thing and I figured that if I did it this way I could learn and then do it myself another way.

Thanks for you help.

Vaska A / 2010-09-15 23:51:54   

Yes, and that is cool too (and I did suggest that). I learned the same way...10 years ago now...eek!

But, right now, I could easily mistake it for his site...you know what I mean.

Anyways, keep us posted on resolving the background issue...just take it one thing at a time...slowly you will go far.

Reza_Aramesh / 2014-03-12 16:13:06   

I am hoping to add a background image to cover the whole background when visitors first write in rezaaramesh.com. Just the background image and the menu to the left of the page.
Kind of like this site fore example, only much simpler of course.
martinruegg.com/

But all the all references I can find in the forum mentions a 'main' page. Is this for the previous version?

arsondpi / 2014-03-12 16:27:16   

Hello - check out this thread, which I think is what you're after: indexhibit.org/forum/thread/16431/

Reza_Aramesh / 2014-03-12 16:35:02   

Thanks, that link is very relevant I really appreciate your fast response arsondpi.

I will post another question to you in that thread shortly.

Reza_Aramesh / 2014-03-12 17:07:10   

Hi,
changed to:
$style .= ($OBJ->vars->exhibit['bgimg'] != '') ? "nbackground: url(" . $OBJ->baseurl . "/files/" . $OBJ->vars->exhibit['bgimg'] . ") no-repeat center center fixed;n-moz-background-size: cover;n-webkit-background-size: cover;n-o-background-size: cover;nbackground-size: cover;n" : '';

And very happy to see image appear on first page then removed when you start navigating the menu. But it doesn't seem to want to go full page?
Something wrong with my code or something wrong with the image I am using?
See: rezaaramesh.com

Reza_Aramesh / 2014-03-12 17:47:22   

Ah, I am starting to figure out the CSS here....

It seems your hack sets background size as 'cover'

Which is indeed what I want. But it doesn't respond? I'd be extremely grateful for any assistance here.

arsondpi / 2014-03-12 19:04:49   

Simply export your media filenames using web friendly names. No spaces or weird characters.
It will work then just fine.

Reza_Aramesh / 2014-03-17 11:21:36   

Thanks,
Reuploaded the image removing all spaces and characters. No change.

Essentially it seems that whatever I do, the settings funder 'Exhibit Options' overrules whatever I set in the "plugin.backgrounder.php". I tried tweaking the code a bit more under assets just to see what would happen, but essentially the 'Exhibit Options' seems to determine it.

arsondpi / 2014-03-17 12:10:59   

I'm not sure what you mean.

IMG_0276 - 150 dpi.jpg is not a web friendly name.
Make it something like img_0276-150dpi.jpg or if your are a Photoshop user then select/use the Save for Web&Devices.

Upload the image as a background image in your exhibit - no need to upload it as an image as well.

Reza_Aramesh / 2014-03-17 12:28:27   

OK, now I understand my own confusion for the last question. I essentially added both a background image and the same image as an image in the text body itself. Hence why the image I was looking at only responded to 'Exhbit Option' commands.

Here is my new and renamed background image:
..../files/WebsiteMenuBackground.jpg

Also, used PS 'save for 'web and devices' as per your recommendation.

Problem solved. Thanks for your patience arsondpi

This thread has been closed, thank you.