v2 upgrade content issues

JDK11211 / 2012-08-27 19:54:47   

Hi

Bought v2 in May, but held off until now to upgrade from v1, to wait for the experienced to work through the kinks. Can't access my old site content now, and I'd really prefer to try to migrate it than rebuild from scratch. Can someone help?

jdkeith.com

I upgraded following the tutorial here indexhibit.org/tutorials/upgrade/upgrade-to-version-two/ but instead of as mentioned in the database update section - the installer did NOT ask if i wanted to import content. Consequently, v2 seems to work fine, but I can't access my old content.

The only thing I can think of is that I nested the old ndxz-studio folder in a folder called "OLD" after backing it up, so as to keep it handy on the server.
Tried undoing this and re-running the installer but it says 'you are already installed'. Is there a way to get to the old content at this point? Not a code expert, so please advise if there's an old studio file or files that can be moved, new ones to edit.

Secondary question: What file(s) should I do these edits to?
indexhibit.org/tutorials/upgrade/updating-templates-and-exhibit-formats/

Thanks.

J

Vaska A / 2012-08-27 20:18:09   

Did you download the newest installer? It was released a few weeks ago...

JDK11211 / 2012-08-27 21:08:29   

I did download it yesterday before proceeding, thanks. If I restore the db file from my webhost's backup, would I be able to re-install, or would that mess everything?

Vaska A / 2012-08-27 21:13:55   

I want to understand what happened first...

When you tried to upgrade you put the /ndxzstudio/ folder into the same folder as your old /ndxz-studio/ folder? It doesn't sound like you did this...there would be no real upgrade then.

JDK11211 / 2012-08-27 21:32:37   

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

Yes, it seems like it did a fresh install instead of an upgrade from v73...
Here's what I did in order:
First I copied everything off my server
then renamed old ndxz-studio (to OLDndxz - possibly a mistake but here we are)
then uploaded everything from the Indexhibit v2 zip (except 'files' folder, per tutorial)
then ran jdkeith.com/ndxzstudio/…
(got xx check config errors a couple of times, but rooting around on Dreamhost web panel, got the correct db name, user, pw, etc)
then browser resolved to my login admin page, and it looks like a fresh default set up

FWIW:
jdkeith.com/ndxz-studio/
jdkeith.com/ndxzstudio/
logs in to new, which is what jdkeith.com displays, looks like...
Seems like it could be as simple as moving/editing a style sheet or index or something?
John

JDK11211 / 2012-08-27 21:35:09   

oh - since i did this i changed OLDndxz back to ndxz-studio, in the same directory as everything else, and tried re-running jdkeith.com/ndxzstudio/…
but no luck so far...

J

Vaska A / 2012-08-27 21:51:13   

You need to put ndxzstudio into the same folder as ndxz-studio - then try an install. It will recognize the old system and you will see your database connection information appear from the beginning. If not, it's not an upgrade, it's simply a new installation.

There is a tutorial in Help about this.

JDK11211 / 2012-08-27 22:36:45   

Both ndxz-studio and ndxzstudio are now in the same folder - the root directory.

This tutorial is the one I followed-
indexhibit.org/tutorials/upgrade/upgrade-to-version-two/
Am I missing one?

Tried deleting all the new stuff, reverted successfully to the old site, then reuploaded v2 files - the update tool still just says 'you are already installed'.

So -if I revert to the database before yesterday from the Dreamhost webpanel and try this again, might it work?

Thanks,
J

Vaska A / 2012-08-27 22:50:20   

You can try again, but I'm worried you are going to mess things up.

If you send me your DH and FTP login I'll take a look in the morning. If it's failing I want to know...

JDK11211 / 2012-08-28 05:18:58   

I'd very much appreciate it - support@indexhibit.org?

This thread has been closed, thank you.