Parse error PHP -->PHP5

camillep / 2012-10-23 04:56:44   

Hello,
I just upgraded to the new version,
and after getting through a lot of complications, I was able to login on the ndxzstudio, ser up a new password, and find every sections, pictures etc I had before, plugins etc.. with the new administration template. GREAT

BUT, when I try to visit my website, I always get the same message :

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homez.168/admin/www/ndxzstudio/lib/cache.php on line 5

I found out It may be because of my database which would be on php4 or anything else, but not in PHP5.
After contacting my host, they say I need to modify the .htaccess file in the root folder, which I m not supposed to change.
If I download it to modify it, it automatically disappear from my computer, because it starts by a dot ".", and you re not supposed to see those files on your mac computer.

I also figured out, that I might have been able to finish the upgrade changing the install.php by install.php5 at one point, because I also had this pb before.
does that mean I should change every php files by a php5, I m not sure about that.

I really don't know what to do.

If any one ever had the same issue.
I still can't accept that this nice idea to upgrade 7 hours earlier turned into what i may call a nightmare.
:)

arsondpi / 2012-10-23 07:14:48   

I'd say that you're paying your host good money to help you out.
They should be able to switch PHP5 on.-
Indexhibit v2 works on PHP5 out of the box and you wouldn't have to edit anything...
This is a server issue and they ought to take care of it from their end...

Vaska A / 2012-10-23 13:34:42   

Unfortunately, there are many hosts who require you to edit your htaccess file with the PHP5 directive. Personally, I think they should do this for their customers.

bipster / 2012-10-23 14:16:58   

camillep, I think your sitr is on OVH. Am I right? If so, then to switch PHP5 on and make Indexhibit 2 work on your hosting you just have to add the following lines to your .htaccess files:

1. SetEnv REGISTER_GLOBALS 0
  2. SetEnv MAGIC_QUOTES 0
  3. SetEnv PHP_VER 5
camillep / 2012-10-23 17:33:32   

Vaska A I totally agree with you, and they only be able to redirect me toward links explaining how to make .htaccess visible.
Bibpster,
you are right, my host is OVH.
So basically what I just idd is downloading from cyberduck the .htaccess file on my desktop, :
it was :
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]
RewriteRule ^(.+) index.php
SetEnv PHP_VER 4

so I deleted the last line, (about PHP4)
and changed it for what you suggested,
but it doesn't work.
Are you sure I should keep everything else ?

Thanks a lot,
for you who s reading this thread I swear I ll explain everything If i found a solution at the very bottom !!
c.

Vaska A / 2012-10-23 17:39:26   

Camille:

Can you send me your FTP login and I'll play with this...

I'm really not happy that OVH doesn't make it more clear to help people with this - it is and has been a real problem for us (but you are paying them for hosting).

I guess it's time to start an FAQ and include this information.

Thanks

email: contact at indexhibit dot org

camillep / 2012-10-23 18:50:11   

Dear readers experiencing the same issue,
this is the point where you tell yourself "oh no, I will never get the answer"

And that's because I experienced this thought a lot trying to solve my issue through the forum that I've decided to open this new thread.

Vaska A / 2012-10-23 19:30:21   

Things are well. After dealing with the PHP5 issue he was able to install. In his case, he needed to visit the exhibits via the studio and update/alter some of the exhibit format settings. And with that, everything is operational...

;)

This thread has been closed, thank you.