New install of 2,0 or upgrade?

pwix44 / 2012-12-09 16:13:48   

Hello,
I am working on my website ...

Question: Currently 0.73, hoping to upgrade to 2.0. Should I install fresh or follow an upgrade path?

Complication 1: There are 1500+ images in the database and it would be very painful to have to make that many titles, details, etc. to type in again.

Complication 2: The database is now unavailable, because of also having recently changed to a new server. That problem is probably just having the wrong information in the config.php file though, so maybe can be resolved once I get the proper information in that file (crossed fingers).

The address will be joywhalen.com/ in a few days..... But until the DNS has been resolved, it is at panj.me/www.joywhalen.com/
pj

Vaska A / 2012-12-09 16:28:14   

Oh boy, be careful. Right now, backup all the files on your server. Even as painful as it may be, you need to backup those images (in the files folder).

You must backup that database now too - before anything else happens.

After those things are done, DNS is resolved, you can proceed and upgrade to 2.0 - it will work just fine.

I rarely ever mention that we have paid assistance (50 euros/hour) but this is on case where if your work is really valuable and you are unsure of any steps, it might be a good thing for you to invest in. I don't see this being more than two hours help and consulting...

pwix44 / 2012-12-09 18:54:04   

Hello,

Update:
0: The database & all files were saved twice to two different drives before moving servers.

1: Managed to figure out what the database connections settings are; now indexhibit (0.73) is working properly.
2: There are some issues waiting for the name servers to finish resolving (because the video links are handled with absolute links).
3: I was using a random image plugin, which is not working now because a php function (eregi) has been deprecated and does not work now with the new version of PHP on the new server...... I'll have to figure out that another day.

So, once everything resolves....... is the upgrade path very difficult or very, very, very difficult?

pj

arsondpi / 2012-12-09 19:02:22   

No it's not: indexhibit.org/tutorials/upgrade/upgrade-to-version-two/
It's actually straight forward, I think...
And keep in mind that there's a random image plugin in Version 2, by default.
:-)

pwix44 / 2012-12-15 21:17:34   

Hello,
Thanks to vaska and asondpi. The upgrade worked... Being careful and saving previous work was useful.... Also, I like the new CMS2. It makes certain work much easier.

Resolved!

pj

This thread has been closed, thank you.